GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new Cadillac CT6 flagship sedan will have an interior worthy of a $100,000 car, including the Buick Avenir concept’s large infotainment screen, redundant infotainment screens in the back of the two front seat headrests, and a T-handle electronic automatic transmission shifter, according to a third-party source.

While the Cadillac ATS and third-generation CTS interiors represented a leap forward in the luxury brand’s interior quality, they still fall short of Mercedes-Benz, BMW and Audi levels. The CT6’s interior looks like something from a $100,000 car, our source indicates. Although it’s said to have a capacious interior, the CT6 reportedly will be a bit shorter than the Mercedes-Benz S-Class, BMW 7 Series and Audi A8, and may instead be a more expressive sedan along the lines of a Mercedes CLS, BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe and Audi A7, though without a rakish “four-door coupe” roofline.

As our latest spy photos of the Cadillac CT6 show, the car should feature a characteristically flat-fronted grille, with overall proportions that are generally in line with the car's potential luxury competitors. The rear of the camouflaged mule slopes slightly at the end of the roofline, most likely contributing to a more stylish, swept-back look.
http://www.automobilemag.com/featur...ior-larger-infotainment-screen/#__federated=1

Like the Buick Avenir concept, arguably the number-two hit (behind the Ford GT) of the 2015 Detroit auto show in January, the production Cadillac CT6 will ride on General Motors’ new Omega full-size RWD platform, and will be the first model to use the automaker’s new nine-speed automatic transmission. The Buick Avenir, which was described as an all-wheel-drive variant of the platform, was said to be powered by GM’s next-generation direct gas-injection 3.6-liter “high-feature” V-6; the CT6 is expected to get this engine, plus a twin-turbo variant and possibly a new twin-cam V-8 based on the new four-six-eight-cylinder engine family.

Read more: http://www.automobilemag.com/featur...ior-larger-infotainment-screen/#ixzz3SNWxrRmh
Follow us: @AutomobileMag on Twitter | AutomobileMag on Facebook

·
Registered
19,262 Posts
Re: NEWS: Cadillac CT6 To Have High-Quality Interior, Larger Infotainment Screen

Hopefully the CT6's interior is worthy of a $100,000 car! I don't know why magazines still make statements like this, GM has shown interiors are no longer the afterthoughts they were 10+ years ago.

And I do take exception with their comment about the ATS and CTS interior not being the equal of the Germans. The only thing I'd say is that the ATS and CTS are lacking the exotic-ness of the German interiors because the center stack is narrow as in a non-luxury car and doesn't have a funky infotainment controller. Otherwise in materials and craftsmanship I say they are right up there. And I can't say enough times how easy CUE is to use.

·
Registered
13,172 Posts
Re: NEWS: Cadillac CT6 To Have High-Quality Interior, Larger Infotainment Screen

Sounds like the ny auto show will be quite exciting come April 3 rd. can't wait to see what gm has in store for consumers,

The Buick version was also interesting as it's styling was attractive and it's unique use of plastic design was also new.....and it allowed the price to be more respective of the Buick brand.

The real unit volume in the market these days is luxury CUVs.....in various sizes...so these ultra luxury sedans are image important but volume is truly cuv based....

I think the cuv being more versatile in use makes the expensive upper level purchase not an issue...

The Chinese love the huge sedan market so maybe this will be the right move.

Thanks for posting this up.

·
Premium Member
News Contributor
5,624 Posts

Although it’s said to have a capacious interior, the CT6 reportedly will be a bit shorter than the Mercedes-Benz S-Class, BMW 7 Series and Audi A8, and may instead be a more expressive sedan along the lines of a Mercedes CLS, BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe and Audi A7
This is leaving room for the eventual CT7/8

......will be the first model to use the automaker’s new nine-speed automatic transmission. The Buick Avenir, which was described as an all-wheel-drive variant of the platform, was said to be powered by GM’s next-generation direct gas-injection 3.6-liter “high-feature” V-6
Some had thought that the 9-speed was for a transverse/fwd platform car. Hopefully this mechanical conformation of the trans and engine adds some to for a production Avenir

·
Registered
8,504 Posts

More modern than a column shifter but still very '90s - how about an update to the 21st century with a joystick - or even steering wheel paddles, or is that a step too far?
What are you talking about. The T shaped shifter are very modern, used on the A8 and the Quattraporta. All Cadillac sedans have paddle shifters as well. Push button and rotary shifters are terrible and gimmicky and not sufficient for a sedan of this stature.

·
Registered
19,262 Posts

This is leaving room for the eventual CT7/8

Some had thought that the 9-speed was for a transverse/fwd platform car. Hopefully this mechanical conformation of the trans and engine adds some to for a production Avenir
I do wish they launched the CT7/8 first, even though Cadillac is loudly saying that the CT6 is not supposed to be as big as the S Class/7 Series and the larger CT7/8 is on the way, I'm certain we are going to read a litany of complaints because the CT6 isn't as big as the S Class/7 Series.

·
Registered
271 Posts

I don't think anyone expected it to not be high quality (except maybe extreme cynics). The infotainment stuff sounds pretty nice along with that nine speed trans. Is that new? There's lots of interesting buzz surrounding the interior of the CT6, reclining massaging rear seats gee wiz features like the video rear view mirror and that's only scratching the surface. I think there's a real possibility of this interior ruffling a few feathers when it's finally unveiled. It's been a long time since Cadillac has had the kind of money and freedom to go at it like this.

Are those new spy shots too? I don't remember ever seeing them.

More modern than a column shifter but still very '90s - how about an update to the 21st century with a joystick - or even steering wheel paddles, or is that a step too far?
By t-shape they probably mean more of the left, less of the right.

Hopefully they don't make it feel like a cheap piece of crap that you can brake with your bare hands and one small tug like they do in BMWs.

·
Registered
19,262 Posts

I don't think anyone expected it to not be high quality (except maybe extreme cynics). The infotainment stuff sounds pretty nice along with that nine speed trans. Is that new? There's lots of interesting buzz surrounding the interior of the CT6, reclining massaging rear seats gee wiz features like the video rear view mirror and that's only scratching the surface. I think there's a real possibility of this interior ruffling a few feathers when it's finally unveiled. It's been a long time since Cadillac has had the kind of money and freedom to go at it like this.

Are those new spy shots too? I don't remember ever seeing them.

By t-shape they probably mean more of the left, less of the right.

Hopefully they don't make it feel like a cheap piece of crap that you can brake with your bare hands and one small tug like they do in BMWs.
I certainly hope Cadillac can ruffle a few feathers, but the bar is so high I don't know how much room there is for Cadillac to do that unless they off features for a lot less, i.e. features you can only get in the $130,000 S Class coming standard in the $80,000 CT6.

·
Registered
371 Posts

While the Cadillac ATS and third-generation CTS interiors represented a leap forward in the luxury brand’s interior quality, they still fall short of Mercedes-Benz, BMW and Audi levels.
...says who??? The CTS shines compared to the current E Class and 5 Series interiors, and Audi is just too damn boring. These guys are ridiculous...

·
Registered
19,262 Posts

To be expected...
I know, were they seriously expecting an interior from a 1980's J Body? As I said before, GM has more than proven it takes interiors seriously, so much so that I think they don't deserve comments like "CT6 to have a high quality interior".

·
Registered
19,265 Posts

Hopefully the CT6's interior is worthy of a $100,000 car! I don't know why magazines still make statements like this, GM has shown interiors are no longer the afterthoughts they were 10+ years ago.

And I do take exception with their comment about the ATS and CTS interior not being the equal of the Germans. The only thing I'd say is that the ATS and CTS are lacking the exotic-ness of the German interiors because the center stack is narrow as in a non-luxury car and doesn't have a funky infotainment controller. Otherwise in materials and craftsmanship I say they are right up there. And I can't say enough times how easy CUE is to use.
Escalade has the interior of a $60,000 family SUV, not a $90,000 flagship SUV.

Being concerned with what CT6's interior will look like is justifiable. ATS and CTS are okay interiors, not fantastic. They're nice, but not fantastic.

Materials and craftsmanship maybe, but they lack in design. There's a feel that you get in German cars that Cadillac just lacks.

What, did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed?

I'm imagining something like this. Vague T-shaped.

As far as steering wheel paddles, if you took a second to listen and think instead of just dumping like a black cloud, you'd know the product and would know or confidently suspect that it would have paddle shifters.

What are you talking about. The T shaped shifter are very modern, used on the A8 and the Quattraporta. All Cadillac sedans have paddle shifters as well. Push button and rotary shifters are terrible and gimmicky and not sufficient for a sedan of this stature.
Facts and reality mean nothing when you live under the bridge.

·
Registered
19,265 Posts

...says who??? The CTS shines compared to the current E Class and 5 Series interiors, and Audi is just too damn boring. These guys are ridiculous...
A/S6 is superior to CTS.

It doesn't feel like a tuna can. It feels substantial, it feels luxurious, and it has a very premium vibe. Did I mention it's very spacious? Because it is, like a midsize luxury car should be.

A6/S6 is probably the best midsize luxury sedan currently on the market. CTS is the best sports sedan.

I do wish they launched the CT7/8 first, even though Cadillac is loudly saying that the CT6 is not supposed to be as big as the S Class/7 Series and the larger CT7/8 is on the way, I'm certain we are going to read a litany of complaints because the CT6 isn't as big as the S Class/7 Series.
For what purpose would it have launched first? To be laughed out of the market?

CT6 will have a hard enough time, and I'm still not sure what pricing will be. I don't predict it being very ambitious.

·
Registered
19,262 Posts

A/S6 is superior to CTS.

It doesn't feel like a tuna can. It feels substantial, it feels luxurious, and it has a very premium vibe. Did I mention it's very spacious? Because it is, like a midsize luxury car should be.

A6/S6 is probably the best midsize luxury sedan currently on the market. CTS is the best sports sedan.

CT6 will have a hard enough time, and I'm still not sure what pricing will be. I don't predict it being very ambitious.
Interior styling is so much a personal thing, I used to think Audi interiors were the best, now I find them unappealing and the weakest of the Germans (I like BMW's interiors the most, Merc 2nd and Audi a distant 3rd). I'm sure a certain Mercedes fan on GMI :) will rank Merc. 1st - it's all personal opinion.

Yes, the CT6 will have a hard time, especially with all articles saying how it is to small compared to the Germans, which is why Cadillac needed to start out with a size comparable to the Germans. Cadillac went through this with the 1st and 2nd gen CTS. Price of a 3 Series, closer in size to the 5 led to poor handling when compared to the smaller 3 Series due to size and weight and poor comparisons to the 5 Series due to lack of size and quality of materials. Being in-between got Cadillac nowhere, just as the CT6 being in between an E Class and S Class will get them nowhere.

·
Registered
15,633 Posts

2014 Cadlliac CTS Sedan

Initial Quality Study ( IQS )

Quality Ratings by Category

Overall Quality ? 3.0

Overall Quality - Mechanical ? 3.0

Powertrain Quality - Mechanical ? 5.0

Body & Interior Quality - Mechanical ? 2.0

Features & Accessories Quality - Mechanical ? 4.0

Overall Quality - Design ? 3.0

Powertrain Quality - Design ? 4.0

Body & Interior Quality - Design ? 2.0

Features & Accessories Quality - Design ? 3.0

Automotive Performance Execution and Layout (APEAL) Study
Performance and Design Ratings by Category

Overall Performance and Design ? 2.0

Performance ? 2.0

Comfort ? 2.0

Features and Instrument Panel ? 3.0

Style ? 3.0

Study Definitions

Predicted Reliability
Derived from historical trending for a vehicle and/or manufacturer in our Initial Quality and Vehicle Dependability Studies, Predicted Reliability is a forecast of how reliable a newer vehicle might be over time.
Initial Quality
Taken from the Initial Quality Study (IQS), which looks at owner-reported problems in the first 90 days of new-vehicle ownership, this score is based on problems that have caused a complete breakdown or malfunction, or where controls or features may work as designed, but are difficult to use or understand.
Performance and Design
Taken from the Automotive Performance, Execution and Layout (APEAL) study, this measure is based on owner satisfaction with vehicle Performance, Style, Features and Instrument Panel, and Comfort.
Overall Dependability
Taken from the Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS), which looks at owner-reported problems in the first 3 years of new-vehicle ownership, this score is based on problems that have caused a complete breakdown or malfunction of any component, feature, or item (i.e., components that stop working or trim pieces that break or come loose).

Ratings data for all body styles and trim levels within a particular model family are aggregated when calculating the model's overall Power Circle Rating.

http://autos.jdpower.com/research/CADILLAC/CTS/2014/Sedan/ratings.htm

Not as bad as it might seem compared to the 2014 competition but by no means - even close to class leading.

And this btw, is from the people who not only 'considered', but actually then went ahead - and now have the car.

Retention is going to 'interesting'.

·
Registered
16,689 Posts

While the Cadillac ATS and third-generation CTS interiors represented a leap forward in the luxury brand’s interior quality, they still fall short of Mercedes-Benz, BMW and Audi levels.
I STRONGLY disagree. The author has not been in a C Class recently as I have!

·
Registered
5,941 Posts

A/S6 is superior to CTS.

JDN already stated that it would be in the mid $70,000 range iirc, So I'm guessing it'll max out around high 90's to $100K with every conceivable bell and whistle.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I STRONGLY disagree. The author has not been in a C Class recently as I have!
I sat in a C Class recently. I reckon it's the worst of the 3 Series, ATS, Lexus IS and old A-4. Unbelievably bad. Yes it was rated by C&D the best interior in its class. Go figure.

·
Registered
5,300 Posts

I sat in a C Class recently. I reckon it's the worst of the 3 Series, ATS, Lexus IS and old A-4. Unbelievably bad. Yes it was rated by C&D the best interior in its class. Go figure.
Last Dec I was shopping the 3 series segment. The interiors of the Germans are nowhere near the ATS in execution. You get no leather covered Dash in their base interiors.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.