GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
News Contributor
5,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a picture of the Elmiraj at a similar angle to the CT6 structure 3D model for comparison.
  • Once you add the front clip to the CT6, the hood appears to be be nearly as long as the Elmiraj. (Or will give a good illusion of length)
  • It also appears that Cadillac has tried to retain as much of the window and roof-line profile.
  • They seem to have also maintained some of the top front fender sweep into the door.

I hope Cadillac does offer this shade of dark blue.

·
Registered
19,265 Posts
Yeah... the hood won't be just as long... at all.

They're using a familial DLO... whoopie.

They absolutely have NOT preserved the front fender sweep. They use the same jerky boyracer side sweep that's on ATS and CTS. Looks worse the bigger it gets.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
I found a picture of the Elmiraj at a similar angle to the CT6 structure 3D model for comparison.
  • Once you add the front clip to the CT6, the hood will be just as nearly as the Elmiraj. (Or wll give a good illusion of length)
  • It also appears that Cadillac has tried to retain as much of the window and roof-line profile.
  • They have also maintained the top front fender sweep into the door as well.
This is going to be one phenomenal looking car.

I hope Cadillac does offer this shade of dark blue.
If that 'Body in White' Rendering is 100% accurate then the CT6 doesn't have the vents on the side of the hood and the vent on the front fender behind the front wheel. It could be that they removed them for this picture so as to not tip their hand, but certainly on the Prototypes there is something going on with the disguise around the top of the fender that sort of hints the CT6 might have a vent in that general area.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Without a doubt, the CT6's proportions are completely different than the Elmiraj's.

The visual height and mass of the Elmiraj is way, way further aft in the vehicle than the CT6's. The Elmiraj's hood is far, far longer than the CT6's, as well. Dash-to-axle isn't very close, either.

The CT6's proportions are closer to the XTS than the Elmiraj, I'm afraid.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
No, what creates that effect is the Elmiraj ACTUALLY having a longer hood. Look at the base of the windshield relative to the rear of the front wheel. Much longer distance on the Elmiraj.
It looks good on the Elmiraj, but it may not be practical for a sedan in the CT6's price range.

·
Registered
13,172 Posts
Why can't gm just make a car that looks just like the ElMirage?

What a waste of time to produce anything else...

Crazy but who would want anything less?

The ElMirage was stunning and the world clamor end for it.....

·
Registered
16,689 Posts

Everyone is drawing conclusions from this:

As being this:

I've posted this before and I guess I have to again: The Body In White rendering is a compacted "tele-photo", CGI. Using it to draw conclusions of three-dimensional proportion is wasting bandwidth.

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
I made an image of both together. It's much closer that the CAD appears.

The windshield is raked relatively far back for a sedan, the roof line flows nice and the C pillar looks very similar to the Elmiraj. I realize there appears to be thicker treatment on the top portion of the front end to cover the grill but not the bottom.

You can see the cover wrap around lower clip; you can see the camo through it. The lower clip is the full length of the front end. The entire front will be relatively the same in length. The roof appears to tail off nicely and if you look at the bottom rear you'll see that the cover doesn't wrap tightly so the rear should be a bit more tailored.

They look very similar IMO. You simply cannot expect a sedan to have the proportions of a coupe like the Elmiraj, especially in concept form, no matter how close the production it is. The cabin is pushed back in the Elmiraj and the back seat and rear deck is smaller, which allows for a much longer hood. Despite that, the CT6's hood doesn't look short by any means. It actually looks long for sedan.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,278 Posts

Everyone is drawing conclusions from this:

As being this:

I've posted this before and I guess I have to again: The Body In White rendering is a compacted "tele-photo", CGI. Using it to draw conclusions of three-dimensional proportion is wasting bandwidth.
You're probably right, the top picture makes the vehicle look much shorter. But then again, maybe we're seeing a long-wheelbase model under the camo.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Or maybe everyone is trying to compare one model at one scale, to another model at another scale. All of which can't be done. You have to compare samesies. And for the love of god, everyone please take note that the computer image has the same hood bump as the CTS, which has the same hood bump as the ATS. It's all in the family here, not some anomaly of a car like the Elmiraj. The CTS is a bigger, yet still different version of the ATS. The CT6 is a bigger, yet still different version of the CTS. Why the hell people can't accept this, and let go of the Elmiraj I will never understand.

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
Wish I knew what "a compacted "tele-photo, CGI" is!
Photographing anything with a telephoto lens "compacts" the subject, and brings what is in the background "forward". When the subject is a car, it makes the area closest to the camera appear "pinched", and the area furthest from the lens larger. Like this:

I did not mean to say the Body In White image is an actual "photograph" in the traditional sense, it's not. I was just using the term as a simile.

CGI is simply "Computer Generated Image".

You're probably right, the top picture makes the vehicle look much shorter. But then again, maybe we're seeing a long-wheelbase model under the camo.
This:

If they built a long wheelbase model the stretch would not come forward of the cabin.

The photos do give the impression of a much longer axle-to-dash distance!
Almost no surface detail can be seen in any of the spy shots I've seen, but the cars stance and general profile are fairly clear and I think it will be beautiful. Let me take that back, it already IS beautiful, we just don't know it yet.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
Photographing anything with a telephoto lens "compacts" the subject, and brings what is in the background "forward". When the subject is a car, it makes the area closest to the camera appear "pinched", and the area furthest from the lens larger. Like this:

I did not mean to say the Body In White image is an actual "photograph" in the traditional sense, it's not. I was just using the term as a simile.

CGI is simply "Computer Generated Image".

Thanks, I know what CGi means. If you were trying to say the angle of that image has a foreshortening effect then that I can understand. There is however enough information in that picture coupled with the other spy images and the knowledge that the CT6 will be 8" longer than a CTS to get a general sense of the stance and the overall proportions of the production car.

·
Registered
13,172 Posts
Hopefully the car looks much better in final form than we are seeing here.

Dramatic ElMirage like styling would be awesome for the production car.

Seeing just these spy shots does disappoint yet many of us are still hopeful the final prodction versions when unveiled will impress.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.