GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Motor Trend admits this is not an apples to apples comparison, but finally, someone in the automobile critics world admits that Mercedes’ interior is getting too blingy.

Which Interior Is Nicer?
The interior design aesthetic of these cars could not be more different. The Mercedes is all blingy chrome air vent rings (with ambient lighting!), natural grain "Black Linden Wood" trim, contrasting Neva Gray and black MB-Tex upholstery, and those big screens. The Cadillac's Jet Black leather seats feature cognac piping and stitching that is continued on the dash and door trim. Even the seat perforations seem to reveal a cognac color—all of which looks worth the $1,000 upcharge. We have to see the Cadillac in Sangria with Jet Black accents as well as the Mercedes in the $1,450 Classic Red/Black combo, but for now the Caddy wins.
The Caddy even gets the nod for being more comfortable from the back seat (who saw that coming?).

A real performance comparison can’t be made Motor Trend admits until they get their hands on an A 35 AMG. Also, they are, again, using an AWD version of the CT4-V for the comparison, and we know that is not the best option for performance.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/cadillac/ct4/2020/cadillac-ct4-vs-mercedes-a220/

·
Registered
17,503 Posts
I'm not a fan of the Mercedes interior. Looks like a mix of Armani and Walmart. The gauges, etc. look higher end, but the dashboard all of that is mounted on looks low rent to me. Could be just the angle, but I'm not a fan.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
While not really a full on comparison, I fully expect the AT errr CT4 to wipe the floor with the A220....these two really aren't in the same class. IMO the CT4 is more of a spiritual successor/rival to the e40 3 Series.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
They need to include the CLA as well since MB needs two value sedans instead of one. There aren’t that many sales to go around in the value lux market that’s why GM needed to beat the new A and redesigned CLA to market.

Reactions: CMiatso DaBang

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
I am getting more and more impressed with the CT4-V. The performance for the price is fantastic.

I am also really digging the 2.7t, the power and torque it is putting down have a significantly heavier CT4 running even with a LS1 F-Body.

If I were in the market for a compact car, I would absolutely have to consider the AT4-V.

Reactions: Tethys and BlackGTP

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 1972 Chevy Nova
3,559 Posts
How is it a RWD car does not get the automatic win?
Motor Trend didn't pick a winner in this particular comparison. They stated:

Motor Trend said:
"Which One Should You Buy?

That's an assessment we can't make until we can line up the apples and oranges of each model line for proper head-to-head comparisons—maybe even with an Audi A3/S3 thrown in for good measure. Stay tuned."

Reactions: sdotjeezy

·
Registered
11,011 Posts
I'm not a fan of the Mercedes interior. Looks like a mix of Armani and Walmart. The gauges, etc. look higher end, but the dashboard all of that is mounted on looks low rent to me. Could be just the angle, but I'm not a fan.
Plus it has vinyl seats.

Reactions: BlackGTP

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
How is it a RWD car does not get the automatic win? We were told that FWD was bad no?
We were... but not if U're German. They can have a car that drives with front wheel bias.. they can even have the engine pointed in the wrong direction.. and car heavy as a tank.. and would U believe Americans.. AMERICANS.. will go out of their way to dog out the Domestic competitor and say that FWD vehicle is some how OK to do what its doing? Pathetic! Self Loathing!

and this car is ugly to boot. Bland in the back. YAK!

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Plus it has vinyl seats.
Both A220 and CT4-V come standard with vinyl/leatherette seating. Leather seating surfaces cost $1,450 extra on A220 and $1,000 extra on CT4-V.

They can have a car that drives with front wheel bias.. they can even have the engine pointed in the wrong direction.. and car heavy as a tank.
Regarding the "heavy as a tank" comment, are you referring to the CT4-V AWD? Motor Trend stated:

"Neither car allows appreciable roll when cornering briskly, but the A 220's tighter dimensions and lower curb weight impart a sense of greater nimbleness and agility when zipping around at half throttle or less."
CT4-V AWD curb weight (3,780 lbs) is about 340 lb. heavier than A220 4Matic (3,440 lbs).

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am getting more and more impressed with the CT4-V. The performance for the price is fantastic.

I am also really digging the 2.7t, the power and torque it is putting down have a significantly heavier CT4 running even with a LS1 F-Body.

If I were in the market for a compact car, I would absolutely have to consider the AT4-V.
And Motor Trend has yet to test a RWD version of the CT4-V, which we know is the real performance car.

Reactions: gkr778

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
And Motor Trend has yet to test a RWD version of the CT4-V, which we know is the real performance car.
+1
Specifying RWD on CT4-V means lower curb weight, MRC 4.0 suspension, and $500 savings. What's not to like? :)

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Motor Trend didn't pick a winner in this particular comparison. They stated:
Only here will you find people bitching about non results in a features comparison...pretty much a tabletop test.

·
Premium Member
35,671 Posts
How come they both put the dash vents in the wrong place?

Reactions: Mr.Buttons

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I thought the A-class was the ugly duckling but I just saw a 1-series sedan drive by. No way is that a BMW. I wouldn’t even want it to be a mini smh. But they will sell like hot cakes here in California and in NY.

Reactions: Mr.Buttons

·
Registered
11,011 Posts
Both A220 and CT4-V come standard with vinyl/leatherette seating. Leather seating surfaces cost $1,450 extra on A220 and $1,000 extra on CT4-V.
Good reason to buy the CT4 2.7T Premium Luxury, then.
You can't get vinyl at any price!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts

Regarding the "heavy as a tank" comment, are you referring to the CT4-V AWD? Motor Trend stated:

CT4-V AWD curb weight (3,780 lbs) is about 340 lb. heavier than A220 4Matic (3,440 lbs).
No.. Got me that one time.. but I was referring to the ACTUAL competitors to the CT4-V..

the ACTUAL.. as in LOGICAL.. anyone with a brain.. "GM lowering the price don't fool me cause I'm smart" ;) competitors..

3968 lbs- m340i xDrive
3,847 lbs Audi S4
3,825 lbs C43AMG

and with exception to the Audi.. the CT4-V is longer.. meaning more actual metal/material for weight than any of them

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Good reason to buy the CT4 2.7T Premium Luxury, then.
You can't get vinyl at any price!
RIGHT!!! I look over at the CT4-V or any of them.. even when I bought my CT6.. and all I see are those two models avail. For this.. Premium Lux 2.7L or CT4-V.. for mine it was Platinum or V.. the other cars simply don't exist. And if I were buying a Benz.. I'd have the same philosophy.

Reactions: Evo69

·
Registered
17,503 Posts

Based on my drive of a Premium Luxury 2.7T CT4, which was awesome, I'd say the V must be spectacular!

·
Registered
17,503 Posts
RIGHT!!! I look over at the CT4-V or any of them.. even when I bought my CT6.. and all I see are those two models avail. For this.. Premium Lux 2.7L or CT4-V.. for mine it was Platinum or V.. the other cars simply don't exist. And if I were buying a Benz.. I'd have the same philosophy.
I do wonder why they don't offer a CT4 with a platinum package....

1 - 20 of 50 Posts