GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GM already has the technology to do it.
They Have the CTS Coupe, a great Chassis, as proved by the CTS V Ring run...It can take an AWD system, in fact, the CTS4 is running around with an AWD system. they have the ZR-1 Engine. and an automatic transmission that can take all the torque
All they need is to go the parts bin, do a couple of upgrades and they would have a Cadillac running in the low 2's 0-60 all the way to well over 220 MPH...
With the same Engine as the Z-R1, it would easily outpower anything out of corners, put power to the road easily, and be the first car to do an AWD burnout..

Given how fat a pig the godzilla is, it would not be difficult to make the CTS V weighs less than the Spec V..

This coupe would kill, Porsche, LF-A and GT-R at one go..

·
Super Moderator
20,962 Posts
It's even better when you consider that the LSA in the CTS-V is just a detuned version of the LS9 in the ZR-1.
Or Cadillac could just produce the Cien...

·
Premium Member
34,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's even better when you consider that the LSA in the CTS-V is just a detuned version of the LS9 in the ZR-1.
An AWD system, perhaps the one in Saab is key to killing Godzilla. Without it, there is no way you can produce insane rocket type accerelation to 60, that GT-R is capable of

·
Registered
44,165 Posts
UGH.... get my hopes up why don't you....

GM won't give Cadillac the platform and performance to outrun the top Corvette.
Ever.

Besides, Cadillac has been sitting on this car for 6 years.... and .... nothing ...

As for AWD? You're asking for a performance enhanced Haldex system?? Nooooo way.

·
Premium Member
34,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Ever.

Besides, Cadillac has been sitting on this car for 6 years.... and .... nothing ...

As for AWD? You're asking for a performance enhanced Haldex system?? Nooooo way.
Haldex is not capable or GM will not do it, or GM could just use its current AWD system?

I think the ZR-1 will still be king in a way, Its like having to choose between an Enzo and a GT-R or a Bugatti and a GT-R spec V..
Really, there is no debate.
The ZR-1 is in a different class.. nothing like an M5 or an AMG 63 or GT-R...

The CTS V would not be going for corvette, but it would just be a technological statement

·
Registered
5,986 Posts

Ever.
What if Ford does it first?
wouldn't surprise me if with the GlobalRwdPlatform + CAFE + possible-Depression that Lincoln will take over their 'King-of-the-Road' role
& Mustangs stay more under $40k ...well, under $50k by then

·
Premium Member
34,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What if Ford does it first?
wouldn't surprise me if with the GlobalRwdPlatform + CAFE + possible-Depression that Lincoln will take over their 'King-of-the-Road' role
& Mustangs stay more under $40k ...well, under $50k by then
Ford killed their only hope. The GT. Plus, its RWD, not AWD...

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
An AWD system, perhaps the one in Saab is key to killing Godzilla. Without it, there is no way you can produce insane rocket type accerelation to 60, that GT-R is capable of

Holden is the key, they have the platform (zeta used in the Camaro), they have the history (Coupe4), the have the engine, they have the suspension know how, they have the desire, the know how to make a 4WD car, but not as restricted as Cadillac with regards to not passing the top of the line corvette.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
With all due respect, you're on crack.

The performance figures you're quoting are absolutely impossible. Not even a Veyron does 0-60 in the low 2's, simply because you cannot do this on street tires, no matter how much power you have. ~2.6 sec is the theoretical limit for high performance tires on normal tarmac, but even that would require a good bit more power than the ZR1 engine makes.

The top speed is equally impossible. If a Vette with the same engine tops out at 207ish, a sedan with a much bigger frontal area and consequently much more aerodynamic drag will not do 220 mph.

Not to mention an AWD CTS-V would probably be in the 4400-4500lb range with a 55/45 weight distribution or worse.

·
Registered
44,165 Posts
Haldex is not capable or GM will not do it, or GM could just use its current AWD system?
I don't know if the Haldex system is capable of working with a high power engine.

I think the ZR-1 will still be king in a way, Its like having to choose between an Enzo and a GT-R or a Bugatti and a GT-R spec V..
Really, there is no debate.
The ZR-1 is in a different class.. nothing like an M5 or an AMG 63 or GT-R...
ZR-1 is in a different class. It's an oddball. Performance of an exotic ... in a very non-exotic format.

The CTS V would not be going for corvette, but it would just be a technological statement
A technological statement that would/could challenge Vette supremacy. That's still something GM wouldn't do.

I'd still like to see what CTS-V Coupe would do. Not sure if it would challenge GTR/Skyline though. And I'm still not sure why it's not sold as an Infiniti. But whatever. Nissan's an odd duck.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Holden lacks design, the CTS Coupe looks the part

:fall::fall::fall::fall:

From international reaction the Coupe 60 seemed to garner allot more praise on its design than the Cadillac Coupe. Side, front and back profile of the Coupe 60 is infinately better than the Cadillac. The main problem with the Cadillac is that it's a slab sided car, for the Europeans this design is a BIG no no. The Coupe 60 has that excessively flared out fenders more akin to a race car.

Now I agree with you that the Cadillac has allot more of that luxury feel but looks wise the Coupe 60 has that menacing supercar look. Furthermore Holden and HSV does have that brash performance image in Europe that Cadillac can only dream of.

Versus

Turbo or Supercharged engine with a racecar style readout and shift/rev light on the steering wheel

DTM style flares

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I will have to say the coupe60 would have the better looks for a fast sports car. Either way both would have to go on a serious diet before they could get serious performance numbers.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
I agree....NOT building the Cien was classic Cadillac-shoots-self-in-foot.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts