GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We've discussed a few options on what we think Cadillac may do with the upcoming convertible: obviously, being the basis for the next Camaro, Alpha is convertible-ready, so an ATS coupe isn't too hard to engineer and bring to life, but is it exciting enough?

EDIT: Tried to add a poll, but it wouldn't let me.

1) ATS Convertible

2) Z4 Roadster Type of Vehicle

3) AMG GT/F-Type Competitor

I would love to see an F-Type slayer! Sexy, unique styling reminiscent of a smaller, sexier XLR. I think the ATS convertible would be too bland, and the Z4 has been abandoned by BMW too long to warrant a competitor.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
We've discussed a few options on what we think Cadillac may do with the upcoming convertible: obviously, being the basis for the next Camaro, Alpha is convertible-ready, so an ATS coupe isn't too hard to engineer and bring to life, but is it exciting enough?

1) ATS Convertible

I would love to see an F-Type slayer! Sexy, unique styling reminiscent of a smaller, sexier XLR. I think the ATS convertible would be too bland, and the Z4 has been abandoned by BMW too long to warrant a competitor.

The pragmatist in me says ATS Convertible because of economies of scale and the fact a four place convertible probably has more sales potential than a 2 seater. An F-Type or Z4 competitor can come later.

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
Cadillac has a lot of priorities. Convertibles aren't one right now. Having said that, it's a shame they don't have several. What's Cadillac without convertibles?

The ATS needs one simply because it will be Cadillac's volume leader and it expands the model range but that has nothing to do with sports cars that need one by mandate. If we don't see an ATS vert by MCE we probably won't see any kind of vert for a few years until Cadillac produces some sports cars. These kinds of products are low priority right now in terms of business case but high priority in terms of brand aspiration and emotional appeal.

I expect a shared mid-engine supercar with Chevy and an Alpha roadster planned over the next 2 - 3 years.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
I wouldn't want any of the ones you listed. I'd rather see a big, flamboyant convertible based on the CTS or CT6. That would scream classic Cadillac!

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
I'd say the ATS. Convertibles make great cruisers, but cutting the top off a car does nothing good for performance. If Cadillac wants a pure sports car, the convertible version can come later -- a really solid coupe should be the priority. But a handsome, easy driving ATS very is almost a no-brainer. Just don't mess up the lines trying to package a folding hardtop.

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
What I would do if I were King Of Cadillac:

None of the above.

A completely separate model. Alpha Platform obviously, positioned between ATS and CTS.

(CT4 ?)

With its own sheetmetal and designation, it could have it's own life cycle separate from other Alpha models. This would allow Cadillac to introduce new models on a staggered basis.

Reactions: Tone

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
I'd say the ATS. Convertibles make great cruisers, but cutting the top off a car does nothing good for performance. If Cadillac wants a pure sports car, the convertible version can come later -- a really solid coupe should be the priority. But a handsome, easy driving ATS very is almost a no-brainer. Just don't mess up the lines trying to package a folding hardtop.

I agree, no hard top convertible please! I think true Ragtops like the F-Type and 'Vette look way better when the top is up, than some of the hard top 'verts with their tops up. I will say though that the 4-series Hard top convertible doesn't look bad with the top up.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Guessing an ATS convertible. Other cars are not as core or critical.

Possible moves would be (a) to introduce it as the CT-something and then move the NG ATS to that nomenclature or (b) introduce it as the CT# and mimic Audi's/BMW's positioning of the coupes sitting in-between the sedans.

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
What I would do if I were King Of Cadillac:

None of the above.

A completely separate model. Alpha Platform obviously, positioned between ATS and CTS.

(CT4 ?)

With its own sheetmetal and designation, it could have it's own life cycle separate from other Alpha models. This would allow Cadillac to introduce new models on a staggered basis.
Need to share with the coupe. Not enough convertible buyers

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
Need to share with the coupe. Not enough convertible buyers
Well, the Coupe shares only a front facia and a hood with the sedan and the coupe won't be big volume.

Everything aft of the doors on a convertible would have to be exclusive, so a new hood and front facia would not add a great cost. The doors from the coupe could be used.

I disagree that a Cadillac convertible must to be designated an "ATS Convertible" . Actually, it CAN'T be designated as such. It violates the new naming convention.

If we do see a new convertible soon, I think its design and designation could be quite a surprise.

·
Registered
44,410 Posts
It would behoove Cadillac to have a minimum of 3 convertibles -- ATS and CTS and "XLR."

The Southern California market would eat up an ATS convertible. A CTS convertible would be a perfect answer to E350 Convertible as well as 6-series.
XLR would be the answer to F-Type and SL.

Cadillac shouldn't be afraid to take risks with certain image cars. Convertibles -- appropriately styled and detailed -- would fall in that category.

Hardtop convertible would be an added plus.

·
Registered
19,265 Posts

1) ATS Convertible

Only one convertible?

One convertible off Alpha?

But cheaper, because it would probs encroach on the above car.

·
Registered
19,265 Posts
Well, the Coupe shares only a front facia and a hood with the sedan and the coupe won't be big volume.

Everything aft of the doors on a convertible would have to be exclusive, so a new hood and front facia would not add a great cost. The doors from the coupe could be used.

I disagree that a Cadillac convertible must to be designated an "ATS Convertible" . Actually, it CAN'T be designated as such. It violates the new naming convention.

If we do see a new convertible soon, I think its design and designation could be quite a surprise.
Someone said we'll see a CT5 coupe... herrrrrm...

It would behoove Cadillac to have a minimum of 3 convertibles -- ATS and CTS and "XLR."

The Southern California market would eat up an ATS convertible. A CTS convertible would be a perfect answer to E350 Convertible as well as 6-series.
XLR would be the answer to F-Type and SL.

Cadillac shouldn't be afraid to take risks with certain image cars. Convertibles -- appropriately styled and detailed -- would fall in that category.

Hardtop convertible would be an added plus.
Hardtop? What are you, some sort of barbarian?

No. Absolutely not. No hardtops. Where's the romance?

·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts
I would have 5, in this order:

1.) ATS Convertible - No brainer.
2.) XLR Convertible - No brainer.
3.) CTS Convertible - Depends on success of ATS Convertible.
4.) CT6 Convertible - Just because.
5.) Supercar Convertible - ...eventually.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
None of those. I'd rather have one based on the XTS

·
Registered
745 Posts
Build a convertible based on the CTS but with unique and dramatic styling. The slightly larger size would be an answer to the MB E350 Convertible and permit a useful back seat and the larger size would allow more styling details. Tail lamps should be right off the El Miraj concept--Cadillac "owns" the vertical tail lamp characteristic and needs to present it in its famous glory--as the El Miraj featured! Include pop-up roll-over protection similar to BMW and Mercedes drop tops! Keep any long, low and wide design cues! Include a "Platinum" edition with really plush interior!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.