·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cadillac boss says supercar 'will come'
Fox News
January 15, 2015
By: Gary Gastelu

If the 200 mph 2016 Cadillac CTS-V sedan isn’t fast enough for you, be patient. Cadillac President Johan De Nysschen says a high-performance supercar “will come.”

When asked at the Detroit Auto Show if he believes a Ford GT-type sports car would fit into his brand’s portfolio, he said, “I absolutely do. I think there is room for a halo performance car such as that in our lineup.”

It’s not the first time the idea has been floated. At the 2002 Detroit Auto Show, Cadillac unveiled the Cien, a mid-engine coupe with scissor doors and a 750 hp V12 engine that was projected to be good for a top speed of 217 mph. And something like it nearly got built.

Bob Lutz, who was General Motors’ vice president of product development at the time, recently published a column in Road & Track magazine in which he revealed that work on a mid-engine Corvette and a Cadillac counterpart began in 2003, but was derailed a couple of years later due to GM’s growing financial woes.

Given the high cost of producing a low-volume performance car, it’s likely that any future Super-Caddy would have to piggyback on a Chevrolet platform, as well. Lucky for De Nysschen, now that GM’s back on its feet, one might be in the works.

Full article available at link.

·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes yes YES!!!! The sooner the better!

I've always wanted to see a Cadillac supercar. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long to see it!

As long as it's as head turning as the Cien, I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for it.

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
Unfortunately, what may not be surprising in the face of declining sales is that Cadillac has more immediate priorities than building the ultimate midlife crisis machine for American car lovers
True words.

Reactions: ClassyEldo

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
Cars like these help build a positive image for the brand. And besides, there's going to be a mid-engined Corvette, so a mid-engined Cadillac makes a LOT of sense.

Build it!
Personally, I think it's a bit more complicated than that. A "rebadged" Corvette is still a rebadge. And yes, I know the Cadillac version, assuming it will indeed be a mid-engine platform shared with Corvette, will likely be much more than that.

And I'm not convinced that "halo" cars really have their desired effect.. I'm reminded of the XLR of course, but that poor thing was handicapped before it reached a showroom. Cadillac was still selling FWD Eldorados and the Deville of the time still had fake wood, a digital spedometer, and a matte black column shifter. The Cadillac portfolio of 5 years hence (we can hope) will be one that can support an exotic. The Chinese might eat it up even if Americans won't.

·
Registered
19,265 Posts

Better come like this. Butterfly doors and a targa top.

General Motors’ current VP of product development, Mark Reuss, won’t confirm the company is developing a supercar, but he says, “Stay tuned … the brand that sells more performance cars than anybody else in the world, we’re known for surprises.”
If you're known for surprises... is it really a surprise when you surprise someone?

By the way, the link goes to a world car fans page about BMW.
Trolololololo

True words.
Not exactly. Cadillac has to raise its image in North America, not sales. More models will equate to more sales. Not a big deal as much as raising their brand profile.

·
Registered
19,265 Posts
Personally, I think it's a bit more complicated than that. A "rebadged" Corvette is still a rebadge. And yes, I know the Cadillac version, assuming it will indeed be a mid-engine platform shared with Corvette, will likely be much more than that.

And I'm not convinced that "halo" cars really have their desired effect.. I'm reminded of the XLR of course, but that poor thing was handicapped before it reached a showroom. Cadillac was still selling FWD Eldorados and the Deville of the time still had fake wood, a digital spedometer, and a matte black column shifter. The Cadillac portfolio of 5 years hence (we can hope) will be one that can support an exotic. The Chinese might eat it up even if Americans won't.
Americans would, as much as any other supercar. As far as a rebadged Corvette... I firmly believe Zora will be a "ZR1" and the Cadillac will be an R8/i8. 4s or faster 0-60. AWD should be a guarantee.

I agree. Think of what the R8 did to Audi. It pushed Audi's brand perception up like a rocket.
Perception and exposure. Something exotic, hot, and desirable... always a good move.

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
What I don't understand is he says in the article they don't have the engineering capacity.

So why did they shut down Holden Engineering?

Ford Australia has it's engineering expanding. GM obviously needs the engineering staff and is keeping Holden Design, and they even have testing facilities going to waste.

Do these people not coordinate resources?

;)

·
Registered
19,265 Posts
What I don't understand is he says in the article they don't have the engineering capacity.

So why did they shut down Holden Engineering?

Ford Australia has it's engineering expanding. GM obviously needs the engineering staff and is keeping Holden Design, and they even have testing facilities going to waste.

Do these people not coordinate resources?
I was under the impression they were keeping engineering and design? At least limited engineering staff.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.