GM Inside News Forum banner

Cadillac Boss: Cadillac Diesels in 2019, Possible 911 Fighter in a Decade

9K views 107 replies 56 participants last post by  MonaroSS 
#1 ·
Johan de Nysschen: Cadillac Diesels in 2019, Possible 911 Fighter in a Decade
Car and Driver
November 21, 2014 at 5:46 pm by Davey G. Johnson

There’s been consternation. There’s been hand-wringing. There’s been the gnashing of teeth. If new president Johan de Nysschen hasn’t turned Cadillac on its ear, he’s certainly stirred the pot with the new CT/XT(X) naming scheme and the GM division’s impending move to the island of Manhattan. At this point, both are done deals. So rather than rehash that stuff, we sat down with him at the L.A. auto show to talk product. Specifically, what we can expect to see from the General’s prestige brand in the next decade . . .

OIL BURNING, TIRE-SMOKING ACTION FOR 2019

Audi has diesels. Mercedes-Benz has diesels. Even über-sportlich BMW sells compression-ignition automobiles in the United States. To expand globally, Cadillac obviously needs to burn oil, and not just at midnight. “Diesel is the fastest, most cost-effective way to reduce CO2 and emissions,” says de Nysschen. “I think it has to be part of our portfolio approach to meeting compliance. Cadillac also wants to be more global and less U.S.-centric, and for many markets, diesel is simply a prerequisite. We will introduce an all-new diesel engine developed specifically for Cadillac by around 2019.”

When we ask whether that includes U.S.-market oil-burners, he succinctly asserts that, “We have a global plan.” And yes, that global plan includes both four- and six-cylinder diesel engines.

TAKING THE FIGHT TO THE 911 AFTER 2020

Audi took the first shot at Porsche’s ubiquitous 911 with its Lamborghini Gallardo–based R8. Mercedes followed just this year with the AMG GT. Yet de Nysschen thinks the time isn’t quite right for Cadillac to leap into that fray: “If you do a high-performance car like the 911, R8, or AMG GT too soon, then you run the risk of being too far removed from where the epicenter of the brand is, so it struggles to have relevance for people. The Acura NSX was a great car, highly acclaimed. But it was so far removed from their other products at the time that I don’t think it did much for the brand. It was the right time for Audi to do the R8 (in 2007). In the long term, yes, I can imagine that there’s such a car, but it’s in the long-term. Beyond 2020. Not 20 years, much closer than that.”

Continue here:

http://blog.caranddriver.com/johan-...els-in-2019-possible-911-fighter-in-a-decade/

See less See more
#6 ·
They pretty much already tried that before with the XLR; the only way they could possibly come close to a 911 fighter is to use yet another Alpha variant, or ride on the Corvette chassis again.

In the case of the latter, IF they actually do go mid-engined for the C8, they'll have a Cayman fighter, not a 911 fighter.

#79 · (Edited)
Would be interesting to see the 911 competitor from Cadillac. That Mercedes AMG GT is a pour example of a Porsche knockoff.

Don't know why all of a sudden Cadillac is < considered to be ? > copying the Germans. Cadillac is not copying anyone, they are being competitive and going to markets where there is a need. If a person wants a sports sedan, why not create a market for a sports sedan if there is demand for it. As far I am concerned Cadillac is being bench-marked on some things by the competition as well. Germans bench-marked off of each other and enter into different and new segments, followed by the competitor, all the time. So would anyone consider that copying, Mercedes copying BMW, Audi copying BMW and etc? There is a difference between copying and bench-marking. People on here need to look up a true definition of copy. Cadillac is copying no one.
Agreed.

JdN covered all the bases - covered all the whys and why fors for the plan or better said, for each element within the plan as discussed which by no means can be considered a copy cat approach.

Imo, many decent posters here would feel a whole lot differently or faling that, at least post a whole lot differently even with disagreement if they actually listened to the just over an hour long presentation.

Reactions: johnls_39
#10 ·
I
Johan de Nysschen: Cadillac Diesels in 2019, Possible 911 Fighter in a Decade
Car and Driver
November 21, 2014 at 5:46 pm by Davey G. Johnson

There’s been consternation. There’s been hand-wringing. There’s been the gnashing of teeth. If new president Johan de Nysschen hasn’t turned Cadillac on its ear, he’s certainly stirred the pot with the new CT/XT(X) naming scheme and the GM division’s impending move to the island of Manhattan. At this point, both are done deals. So rather than rehash that stuff, we sat down with him at the L.A. auto show to talk product. Specifically, what we can expect to see from the General’s prestige brand in the next decade . . .

OIL BURNING, TIRE-SMOKING ACTION FOR 2019

Audi has diesels. Mercedes-Benz has diesels. Even über-sportlich BMW sells compression-ignition automobiles in the United States. To expand globally, Cadillac obviously needs to burn oil, and not just at midnight. “Diesel is the fastest, most cost-effective way to reduce CO2 and emissions,” says de Nysschen. “I think it has to be part of our portfolio approach to meeting compliance. Cadillac also wants to be more global and less U.S.-centric, and for many markets, diesel is simply a prerequisite. We will introduce an all-new diesel engine developed specifically for Cadillac by around 2019.”

When we ask whether that includes U.S.-market oil-burners, he succinctly asserts that, “We have a global plan.” And yes, that global plan includes both four- and six-cylinder diesel enginesl]
Dafaq? You think Caddy drivers will enjoy filling up that stinky fuel along the semi eighteen wheelers ,huh..

#38 · (Edited)
I don't know if that's genuine or more likely a sarcastic throw away line. However people might like to consider that in the automotive manufactures world they live a bifurcated life. Partly they live in the now and have to sell to and acquire feedback from customers but then in the other part of their lives they live about 4 years ahead of us, developing the new technologies and designs we will see in the future. So to them they are already living in the last weeks of 2018 about to see in 2019.

So keep that in mind when on rare occasions like this they let you into their world so you can glimpse the future as they see it, even if it seems a long way off to you. But in truth it will be here sooner that we think....

;)

#23 ·
Perhaps Cadillac can start with something like the BMW CSL. Based on the ATS-V but lighter and with more power. It might not be a big seller but wont cost Cadillac much and establish the brand in that segment before moving on with a proper R8/911 competitor.

#25 ·
Wow l absolutely love this new boss at Cadillac he is pulling all the right switches pressing all the buttons, that are gonna lay the foundations of a great global company.

When can l buy Cadillac 911, where is the wait list put me down for one.

Cadillac 1-2-3 win at "24 Heures du Mans" win with some Audi type Le Man LMP1-H Caddy diesels.

#29 ·
Would be interesting to see the 911 competitor from Cadillac. That Mercedes AMG GT is a pour example of a Porsche knockoff.

Don't know why all of a sudden Cadillac is copying the Germans. Cadillac is not copying anyone, they are being competitive and going to markets where there is a need. If a person wants a sports sedan, why not create a market for a sports sedan if there is demand for it. As far I am concerned Cadillac is being bench-marked on some things by the competition as well. Germans bench-marked off of each other and enter into different and new segments, followed by the competitor, all the time. So would anyone consider that copying, Mercedes copying BMW, Audi copying BMW and etc? There is a difference between copying and bench-marking. People on here need to look up a true definition of copy. Cadillac is copying no one.

#32 · (Edited)
Cadillac is copying nobody and going absolutely nowhere.

2014 European sales
Audi 599,364
BMW 539,065
Mercedes Benz 528,405
Cadillac 89

89 sales the "Benchmark" Germans have to overcome LOL.

Nothing wrong with cheating a bit, reversing engineering Audi/BMW/Mercedes Benz/Porsche 911 copy all their best selling examples that sell very well, and improving on them adding a little bit of innovation.

Nobody can afford to Buy-Run-own a over priced Cadillac 6.2L v8 in Europe with the added bonus of steering wheels fitted in passenger seats in the UK, that have to run on $9 gas & sky high EU C02 taxes. Audi/BMW/Mercedes Benz/Porsche must be laughing their heads of at the way Cadillac operate, they are laughing stock and constantly ridiculed in the EU for being totally so out of touch with the EU market.

Glad to see Mary Barra now employs somebody that understands global markets at Cadillac, and the needs for fuel efficient diesels in places like the EU. Nothing wrong with Cadillacs they are fantastic cars drive and handle just as well as anything the German sell in Europe, the gas guzzling engines just lets them down big time, Cadillac are totally out of touch.

Nobody buys BMW M3, BMW M5 or Cadillac 6.2L CTS in Europe the sales numbers very very small.

What is selling like hotcakes is 2.0L fuel efficient diesels, what Europeans are buying in huge number are BMW 3 Series 320D 80.1 MPG/145 MPH and BMW 5 Series 520D 72 MPG/147 MPH diesels, 98% of BMW 5 Series sales in Europe are diesel last year. Cadillac is copying no one in Europe END RESULT : 89 sales.

Cadillac Boss: "Cadillac Diesels in 2019, Possible 911 Fighter in a Decade", spot-on l absolutely like this new boss at Cadillac.

2019 can't come quick enough, where is the wait list for Cadillac 911, Ooooh sign me up now.

#30 ·
In saying that diesels, I4 and V6, are 6+ years ago I'd say he's being realistic - any V6 diesel will have to be all-new because there's nothing in GM that Cadillac could use even as a starting point, having walked away from the expensive GM-VM Motori joint venture which is now giving good results for VM Motori and Fiat-Chrysler.

So it's time for Cadillac to abandon Europe, yet again, until a range of diesels is available as it's going nowhere there at the moment, other than being ridiculed.

As 6+ years is a full model cycle or more - Cadillac need to remember to include RHD as a chassis option for any relaunch.

#66 · (Edited)
Although..... there is a whole series of 'cons' to it...... there are some others out there looking to partner up.

I'd take a preliminary look at - for a possible first chat.... at Jaguar / LR.

However.....

One senses a perfectly wonderful all internal mindset. But then again, no, four or five years out is likely long enough that some other arrangements warrant at least a serious, preliminary consideration in order to save time while likely also providing a very useful segue way.

I fully understand the marketing logic waiting until 2025(ish) for the sports car -But 4 years to get diesel engines into Cadillac?

If GM is really serious about making Cadillac a respected global manufacturer, they should be pushing for something within the next 12-18 months.

Or just should have had a diesel offered in the ATS at launch.
Yep.

However..... in front of that or simultaneously if possible to do ..... the right kind of 8sp ATs - none of which are found @ A -AW.

Given where Cadillac has been and actually is currently located this is by far the biggest fully inexcusable miss - one of the worst in the whole history of the brand ..... which is really sayin' something.

I'd like to see them go the I6 engine route at Cadillac for both petrol and diesel. It's faster and cheaper to stretch an I4 into an I6, but the platforms have to have longer hoods to accommodate them...

Opel's new 1.6 CDTI Turbo Diesel would make a great 2.4 I6 TD. And perhaps put two together for a 3.2 V8 TD for higher level large Cadillac's.

;)

Yes, this is a way to really try and make happen.

It as been brought up before - most seem to get the deer in the headlights look or worse when the idea of small V8s..... especially diesel in and around this range are brought up.

Assuming a future based nominal execution, who ever does this first will reap a reward so why not Cadillac ? Hell, somehow the right kind of V8s do....... and could resonate for Cadillac with regard to Baby Boomers and Millennials - including ones where Cadillac wants to gets some cars parked in the driveway.

Separately, all of this Cadillac stuff of late bodes well for the rest of GM, and also for GM as a whole.

So far.

Ms. Barra whom I really want to single out for just a sec......and some ( many ? ) others are proving both their merit and mettle - once again.

#33 ·
LOL. Diesels in 2019?

While I think BMW and Audi are missing the mark with diesels in the U.S. (328d is actually a 320i w/ 328 equipment for more than 328i money, no diesel A4, diesel A3 being FWD only), the fact that GM isn't even in the game with Cadillac yet and they've had 5 years post bankruptcy to develop engines is a joke.

What bothers me about Cadillac is their problems can be so easily fixed.

Pricing (Price at Audi level, not BMW level)
Packaging (equipment levels that make sense)
Equipment (Audi level equipment, not BMW level equipment)
CPO Program (needs 100,000 mile warranty)
Marketing

What Cadillac is doing is the definition of "overthinking it."

#35 · (Edited)
BMW & Audi are not trying to push diesels in the US just like Toyota are not pushing K-car Kei on to American buyers. Germans are giving Americans all the big gasoline cars they want to maximise sales & profits, l think he meant the Cadillac diesels were more for the Global Cadillac market outside North America. Not destined for the US or Japanese market that don't do diesels.

Caddy are doing fine in the US home market, sales are down but profit margin are up more on increased prices.

If you dropped the price a bit your right the sales would increase, maybe some of the standard extras got moved onto the optional extra list prices could come down, there is nothing worse than having to pay for things you don't want may never use.

If you could have base model with not a lot equipment that will attract a lot of extra buyers in, if they want some optional extra in a bare bone Caddy offer them everything on the optional they want, that way it will be "happy days" all the way, another repeat buy customer. If the Caddy is packed full of extras the buyer does not want, can't afford he is gonna walk out the showroom door buy elsewhere.

A better warranty makes sense, marketing never influenced me one little bit when choosing a car ever, but your right Cadillac don't seem to be getting that fact that Cadillacs are just as good as BMW & Mercedes Benz to drive, if not a much better car than anything the Germans have on offer, but it is hard if the German brand offers better value for money.

2014 US Sales
Mercedes Benz 281,727
BMW 267,193
Lexus 244,038
Audi 146,133
Cadillac 141,452
Lincoln 76,671

#36 ·
I fully understand the marketing logic waiting until 2025(ish) for the sports car -But 4 years to get diesel engines into Cadillac?

If GM is really serious about making Cadillac a respected global manufacturer, they should be pushing for something within the next 12-18 months.

Or just should have had a diesel offered in the ATS at launch.

#50 ·
OLdsmobile, you're not listening.

Pick your battles. Pick fights you can win.

MB, BMW, & Audi staged their invasions long ago.

Today Caddy is nussink, nussink in Europe. China is poised to become Caddy Lack's biggest market.

Why sink billions into pushing a boulder uphill when your Golden Opportunity is in Asia? Riddle me that, Batman.

Hans Greimel
Automotive News
October 25, 2014 - 12:01 am ET
WUHAN, China -- Despite slowing sales growth in China, General Motors is doubling down on the country with a bold expansion plan that could make it Cadillac's biggest market within six years.

The investment blitz channels $14 billion into China, the world's biggest car market, from 2014 through 2018 to open five new factories. It will boost GM's capacity to just under 5 million vehicles, or almost double the company's 2013 U.S. sales volume.

Indeed, China may supplant the U.S. as Cadillac's top market in just a few years, GM China President Matt Tsien predicted.

"There's the potential by 2020, we could be the largest market worldwide," Tsien said in an interview at this month's Global Automotive Forum here. "We're poised to grow at a very rapid pace."

http://www.autonews.com/article/20141025/GLOBAL03/310279996/cadillac-full-speed-ahead-in-china

Reactions: Oldsmobile stopped
#60 · (Edited)
Thanks for that buddy, l can see where you are coming from, yes Caddy are already doing very well in China with the current line-up right products that suit China, l just want to see Cadillac get it right in Europe as well their luxury market is a lot bigger than China. Cadillacs are way out of tune with their gas guzzlers in that market.

2013 China sales (12 months sales)
Audi 492,000
BMW 390,700
Mercedes Benz 228,000
Cadillac 50,000

2014 European sales (10 months sales)
Audi 599,364
BMW 539,065
Mercedes Benz 528,405
Cadillac 89

2014 US Sales (10 months sales)
Mercedes Benz 281,727
BMW 267,193
Lexus 244,038
Audi 146,133
Cadillac 141,452
Lincoln 76,671

Cadillac diesels are coming in 2019 that is a very long way off, Europe won't grow one little bit, l have see more life in graveyard than in Cadillac sales have got in the EU.

Cadillac has stalled in the US.

it looks like Cadillac will carry on growing if China remains stable & economy does not stall. l was quite optimistic about what l have been reading about Cadillac changes l have been reading over the last few weeks but when look assess whats happening everything is a way off promise that might not materialise in the future, even then everything turns out alright thats no guarantee thing be any different.

So l don't see a lot of growth coming to be honest in the future now for a very long time, l never realised how small the US luxury home market is compared to other parts of the world...

I shall go shall go into Cadillac hibernation until 2019. If anything exciting happens, please wake me up if anything changes Neanderthal. SSSssss SSSssss SSssss

#54 ·
Excellent analysis by JDN. A 911/R8 vehicle will only work when the brand is ready for it. He is so right. Just as the NSX was a flop, so was LFA, SVX, and the Phaotan. You could even throw in the ELR and XLR for that matter and yes I had to look up XLR ("Cadillac Corvette").

Hopefully, Cadillac gets the CT6 right so there will be more exciting vehicles in the near future.

Reactions: AMERICA 123
#55 ·
People need to realize what Johan de Nysschen is talking about.

He isn't talking about today's Cadillac. Alpha is designed and in production Omega is designed and will be in production. These are the cards he has been dealt today.

However he is talking about the next generation Cadillac. Where does Cadillac go after Alpha and Omega? What other gaps need to be filled. Once he determines the answers to those questions we then need a full product development cycle for both a powertrain and platform's which is 6 to 8 years people. So 2020+ sounds reasonable for the next generation of Cadillac's.

The automotive industry doesn't work two or four years in advance. They work typically 10 to 15 years in advance. When I worked for an automotive supplier in advanced quality engineering I was seeing designs and concepts for 2008 vehicles in the year 2000.

Sure some companies might spit out a competitor after 4 or 5 years of development work. But it will be mostly cobbled together and not optimized. This vehicle will not be competitive and will not live up to the standards to compete with BMW, MB, and Audi. If GM is going to invest this kind of money it has to be done right. They need to live up to this "standard of the world".

Now I don't necessarily fully agree with Johan de Nysschen's vision. I think it leaves a lot to be desired for where technology is moving in the automotive world. However I can say at least he has a vision and a direction for the brand and that is something that has been missing for a long time a Cadillac.

#56 · (Edited)
The Germans sell every diesel they bring to the US. Cadillac needs a diesel. You have the feel of V8 torque. You cant get that from an electric car. Hydrogen is a pipe dream.

The only problem with Cadillac now is still a slightly mis-matched product portfolio...you have the world beating ATS and CTS and then the FWD SRX and XTS. And Escalade.

Cadillac needs to win the consumer that buys BMW/Mercedes for name yet they know nothing about cars. So what is the better product will never influence these buyers. Like the doctors wife who must drive an X5 or Mercedes SUV yet the husband drives a Tahoe or Explorer. The wife wouldn't be caught in anything other than a German luxury car. Its silly but true.

#61 · (Edited)
The Germans sell every diesel they bring to the US. Cadillac needs a diesel. You have the feel of V8 torque. You cant get that from an electric car.
If you've ever driven an electric car you would not make such a statement.
They have more torque than diesels and they have it right now.

Cruze Diesel: 258 lb/ft
Volt: 273 lb/ft

#63 ·
This guy is a clown. I'm glad Cadihack has him. He'll make the brand the laughing stock and kill it - one thing we've learned, Cadihack cannot build a body and an interior around a competent engine and chassis. Perhaps they should just become an engine and suspension company.

#67 ·
I'm not sure that either of these is a great idea right now; the 911 fighter in particular. Focusing on Europe is a needless diversion right now and they've already spent too much money trying to be BMW, trying to be Porsche in the sports car segment isn't going to be any more fruitful or any cheaper. My advice? Try building a really well executed Cadillac, that's a road nobody has dared venture down in sixty years or so with the last gen CTS being the closest they've come.

#68 ·
The timeline for the new Diesel makes sense if it will be a "Clean sheet" design but Cadillac will need one in the lineup before then to compete with BMW and MB on MPG.

Cadillac can create an Alpha based MB SL competitor by using a shortened next gen Camaro Convertible as a base and is a model that fits the current Cadillac lineup and differs from the previous XLR by being more of a Touring Roadster similar to the MB SL.

Audi had a similar strategy with the TT prior to the R8 and can see Cadillac introducing something like the Cien in 2020.

Main vehicles Cadillac needs in the 2016-2020 time frame is not a 911 competitor, but ones for Macan, Cayenne and Panamera along with a Q3 competitor below the Macan.

These will take some development $$ and will position Cadillac better in the segment.

Before all of those new models are developed Johan needs to correct Cadillac's feature/price issues so Cadillac actually has the cash to create them and the Cadillac brand has attained the "Status" required to profitably sell them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.