1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Johan de Nysschen: Cadillac Diesels in 2019, Possible 911 Fighter in a Decade
Car and Driver
November 21, 2014 at 5:46 pm by Davey G. Johnson

There’s been consternation. There’s been hand-wringing. There’s been the gnashing of teeth. If new president Johan de Nysschen hasn’t turned Cadillac on its ear, he’s certainly stirred the pot with the new CT/XT(X) naming scheme and the GM division’s impending move to the island of Manhattan. At this point, both are done deals. So rather than rehash that stuff, we sat down with him at the L.A. auto show to talk product. Specifically, what we can expect to see from the General’s prestige brand in the next decade . . .

OIL BURNING, TIRE-SMOKING ACTION FOR 2019

Audi has diesels. Mercedes-Benz has diesels. Even über-sportlich BMW sells compression-ignition automobiles in the United States. To expand globally, Cadillac obviously needs to burn oil, and not just at midnight. “Diesel is the fastest, most cost-effective way to reduce CO2 and emissions,” says de Nysschen. “I think it has to be part of our portfolio approach to meeting compliance. Cadillac also wants to be more global and less U.S.-centric, and for many markets, diesel is simply a prerequisite. We will introduce an all-new diesel engine developed specifically for Cadillac by around 2019.”

When we ask whether that includes U.S.-market oil-burners, he succinctly asserts that, “We have a global plan.” And yes, that global plan includes both four- and six-cylinder diesel engines.

TAKING THE FIGHT TO THE 911 AFTER 2020

Audi took the first shot at Porsche’s ubiquitous 911 with its Lamborghini Gallardo–based R8. Mercedes followed just this year with the AMG GT. Yet de Nysschen thinks the time isn’t quite right for Cadillac to leap into that fray: “If you do a high-performance car like the 911, R8, or AMG GT too soon, then you run the risk of being too far removed from where the epicenter of the brand is, so it struggles to have relevance for people. The Acura NSX was a great car, highly acclaimed. But it was so far removed from their other products at the time that I don’t think it did much for the brand. It was the right time for Audi to do the R8 (in 2007). In the long term, yes, I can imagine that there’s such a car, but it’s in the long-term. Beyond 2020. Not 20 years, much closer than that.”

Continue here:

http://blog.caranddriver.com/johan-...els-in-2019-possible-911-fighter-in-a-decade/

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
If GM is going to allow Cadillac so spend that much money on new products, they better start selling some cars, or it will be time for a new Cadillac exec who can get results without spending GM's entire R&D budget

·
Premium Member
3,276 Posts
They pretty much already tried that before with the XLR; the only way they could possibly come close to a 911 fighter is to use yet another Alpha variant, or ride on the Corvette chassis again.

In the case of the latter, IF they actually do go mid-engined for the C8, they'll have a Cayman fighter, not a 911 fighter.

·
Premium Member
36,287 Posts
Cadillac building a 911 equivalent in 6 plus years (if ever) isn't a dream. It's a raging delusion.

This is another case where a GM executive should do a drug test before an interview.
Fixed!

Yet another testimonial that makes the need for a Genial Motors PR Czar painfully obvious. This sort of big talk is locker room stuff. To say it in public is simply foolish.

JUST DO IT.

This guy will be a water cooler joke by 2019 and there will be NO 911 "competitor." :fall: Unless it's a Corvettilac.

·
Registered
21,318 Posts
If GM is going to allow Cadillac so spend that much money on new products, they better start selling some cars, or it will be time for a new Cadillac exec who can get results without spending GM's entire R&D budget
You really need to keep up with the Cadillac threads...
Johan might be the one that needs to keep-up, daddy is cutting off his allowance, time to earn your own keep.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I
Johan de Nysschen: Cadillac Diesels in 2019, Possible 911 Fighter in a Decade
Car and Driver
November 21, 2014 at 5:46 pm by Davey G. Johnson

There’s been consternation. There’s been hand-wringing. There’s been the gnashing of teeth. If new president Johan de Nysschen hasn’t turned Cadillac on its ear, he’s certainly stirred the pot with the new CT/XT(X) naming scheme and the GM division’s impending move to the island of Manhattan. At this point, both are done deals. So rather than rehash that stuff, we sat down with him at the L.A. auto show to talk product. Specifically, what we can expect to see from the General’s prestige brand in the next decade . . .

OIL BURNING, TIRE-SMOKING ACTION FOR 2019

Audi has diesels. Mercedes-Benz has diesels. Even über-sportlich BMW sells compression-ignition automobiles in the United States. To expand globally, Cadillac obviously needs to burn oil, and not just at midnight. “Diesel is the fastest, most cost-effective way to reduce CO2 and emissions,” says de Nysschen. “I think it has to be part of our portfolio approach to meeting compliance. Cadillac also wants to be more global and less U.S.-centric, and for many markets, diesel is simply a prerequisite. We will introduce an all-new diesel engine developed specifically for Cadillac by around 2019.”

When we ask whether that includes U.S.-market oil-burners, he succinctly asserts that, “We have a global plan.” And yes, that global plan includes both four- and six-cylinder diesel enginesl]
Dafaq? You think Caddy drivers will enjoy filling up that stinky fuel along the semi eighteen wheelers ,huh..

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
“Diesel is the fastest, most cost-effective way to reduce CO2 and emissions,” says de Nysschen. “I think it has to be part of our portfolio approach to meeting compliance./QUOTE

hmm I'd think that electric or even hydrogen car would be more cleaner,but hey what do I know,,L

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
Johan might be the one that needs to keep-up, daddy is cutting off his allowance, time to earn your own keep.
Earlier this month there was an article on Autoline Daily, in which it was reported how much each car manufacturer spends on R&D. BMW and MB were 1 and 2, with $3,000 per car spent. GM was in 10th place with $900 per vehicle spent on R&D. Even Ford was 50% higher at $1469 per vehicle.
GM won't allow all their R&D budgets to go to Cadillac.
Perhaps someone else should try to keep up!

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
This is what I can't get past. I have never known GM to engage in such massive spending with no results. I am gonna be surprised if the bean counters don't reign him in. He needs to start selling cars NOW while working on a longer-term plan to regain Cadillac's lost glory. His future plans are great but acres and acres of unsold CTS and ATS models and an idled plant needs to be his immediate focus or else the rest will never happen.

And, back to the names, I really wish if he's hell-bent on the 'me too' alpha-numeric stuff, he'd augment them with some of Cadillac's historic monikers. Way back in 1957 for instance, the cars had a sort of alpha-numeric plus a name; Series 62 Coupe Deville and Series 75 Fleetwood were two of the models that year. Therefore, why not XT8 Escalade, CT5 Seville, or CT8 Fleetwood in the future? If the names don't work internationally, then use them in the US only.

It strikes me that what separates Cadillac from Kia is really nothing more than heritage. A Kia K900 is probably a better luxury sedan than a Cadillac XTS but the Caddy comes with years of history and an aura derived from so many great Cadillacs of the past. It's like being a member of a famous and esteemed family who once did great things. There is status conferred upon all the latest family members when they may have done nothing exceptional. With so much history and with names associated with a time when Cadillac was on top, why run from that? Why not embrace it and strive to recreate it? The name 'Cadillac CT8 Fleetwood' sounds much more glamorous and distinctive than just 'Cadillac CT8'. The later sounds like a paint code or something from Mazda and carries with it about as much cachet as K900.

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
Earlier this month there was an article on Autoline Daily, in which it was reported how much each car manufacturer spends on R&D. BMW and MB were 1 and 2, with $3,000 per car spent. GM was in 10th place with $900 per vehicle spent on R&D. Even Ford was 50% higher at $1469 per vehicle.
I wonder if this is a figure that moves around a ton, after all Ford was probably spending a good amount of money on the F-150 for obvious reasons. Also dollars per vehicle isn't the best measure of this, because brands with higher volumes end up with lower R&D per vehicle. For example if brand A sells 100,000 units a year and brand B sells 1,000,000 units a year and they spend the same amount on R&D then brand A has a higher R&D per vehicle. To make this comparison equal lets say they both sell their volume over 10 different models. Also higher priced models can obviously support higher R&D per vehicle.

Pretty much what I am trying to say that without the explanation and data from this it really doesn't mean anything.

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
This is what I can't get past. I have never known GM to engage in such massive spending with no results.
The "Spending" hasn't started yet.

"No results"? What results can be seen BEFORE the investment????

Reactions: AMERICA 123

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
The "Spending" hasn't started yet.

"No results"? What results can be seen BEFORE the investment????
You think ATS and CTS were developed for free? The spending has already started and ATS and CTS need to be selling better so as to demonstrate that with investment comes improved sales. The CTS especially is, by most accounts, an outstanding car. It should be selling better. The bean counters at GM need to see that spending the money to develop a world class car while yield a healthy return on investment. Otherwise, unless GM has totally changed their ways, I fear they'll be hesitant to keep bankrolling the much larger investments Johan is proposing to really turn Cadillac around.

That's why I say he needs to stop dreaming up 911 competitors and start moving CTS sedans off the lots now. His primary focus needs to be marketing, promotion, and advertising of what he already has. I believe in his grand plan and I believe he actually gets what's wrong and has a plan to fix it but the first order of business needs to be fixing the awful dancing robot and garage door advertising so he can more sell cars today and thereby have a chance that GM will bankroll his plan.

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
You think ATS and CTS were developed for free? The spending has already started and ATS and CTS need to be selling better so as to demonstrate that with investment comes improved sales. The CTS especially is, by most accounts, an outstanding car. It should be selling better. The bean counters at GM need to see that spending the money to develop a world class car while yield a healthy return on investment. Otherwise, unless GM has totally changed their ways, I fear they'll be hesitant to keep bankrolling the much larger investments Johan is proposing to really turn Cadillac around.

That's why I say he needs to stop dreaming up 911 competitors and start moving CTS sedans off the lots now. His primary focus needs to be marketing, promotion, and advertising of what he already has. I believe in his grand plan and I believe he actually gets what's wrong and has a plan to fix it but the first order of business needs to be fixing the awful dancing robot and garage door advertising so he can more sell cars today and thereby have a chance that GM will bankroll his plan.
Johan didn't get hired to 'run' Cadillac. He got hired to 'create' Cadillac. That's what he's doing.

Forget expecting him to manage what other's put in place. Forget him only spending on R&D in-line with what GM always did and went bankrupt because of....

This is a different ball game and none of the old rules apply.

He will be as different in creating New Cadillac as they are over at Tesla, if that is what he believes will get the job done, his job, not anybody else's job. Committees create the worst cars, the best come from leaders with a clear vision...

You are only just starting to get a glimpse of his vision. You need to allow some time for this to play out....

;)

·
Premium Member
3,750 Posts
“Diesel is the fastest, most cost-effective way to reduce CO2 and emissions,” says de Nysschen. “I think it has to be part of our portfolio approach to meeting compliance./QUOTE

hmm I'd think that electric or even hydrogen car would be more cleaner,but hey what do I know,,L
Cleaner? Yes. Most cost-effective? Hell, no.

Replace the 2.0 turbo with a turbo diesel of the same size and put some sound-deadening into the car. That's it. An electric or hydrogen version need much more modification.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Not surprising. Cadillac seems quite satisfied to build luxury on the cheap by copying competitors and draping A & S styling over it. Article is nothing but...copy Audi...copy BMW....copy Mercedes. You'll never be number one with a cheapo R&D budget. Shame on you Cadillac.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.