GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DETROIT - Cadillac today announced that pricing for the all-new 2005 Cadillac STS luxury performance sedan will start at $40,995, including a destination freight charge of $695. The STS will be available in dealerships this fall. Popularly equipped, the V-6 and V-8 models are priced below the segment volume leaders, Mercedes Benz E-Class and the BMW 5-series.

The V-6 model, a 3.6L V-6 VVT engine with Variable Valve Timing (VVT), has 255 horsepower and 252 lb-ft. of torque. The V-8 version, featuring a 4.6L Northstar engine with 320 horsepower and 315 lb-ft. of torque, will start at $47,495 (including DFC of $695).

Both models include standard equipment such as a 5-speed automatic with Driver Shift Control, rear-wheel drive, StabiliTrak Stability Enhancement System, a Bose sound system with CD player, leather seating surfaces, Keyless Access with push button start, Adaptive Remote Start, Panic Brake Assist, and much more.

Other optional features available on the V-6 and V-8 models include memory personalization, a Bose 5.1 Studio Surround System with 15 speakers, Magnetic Ride Control suspension system, Adaptive Cruise Control with four-color reconfigureable head-up display, XM Satellite radio, heated and ventilated seats, 18" polished wheels and DVD Navigation. All-wheel drive will also be available on the V-8 model at start of production.

2005 Cadillac STS Highlights:

Two new engines available: next-generation 4.6L Northstar V-8 VVT with 320 horsepower and 3.6L V-6 VVT with 255 horsepower

RWD and optional AWD available

Dual Mode Magnetic Ride Control suspension system

Bose 5.1 Channel Studio Surround Sound System with 15 speakers

Adaptive Remote Start

Keyless Access with push button start

Heated and Ventilated Seats

Adaptive Cruise Control with four-color reconfigureable head-up display

DVD Navigation with the industry's largest display screen

Intellibeam

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I consider that a pleasant suprise. It's a bit lower than I thought it would be. Of course, you don't want to set MSRP a lot higher than other things in the market. Two thumbs up! :p

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Holy mackerel! That's what I paid for my CTS! That seems dirt cheap for this car, especially given the fact that the current Seville starts somewhere around $45K!!

WOW! :woot2:

·
Registered
316 Posts
the current seville also isn't offered with a V6 though. also, while these prices look quite good...they are the base prices for each model and most cars you see i think will probably be a good 5 grand higher, but even at that...it should be very competitive.

·
Registered
44,282 Posts
They fail to mention that the AWD model runs into the mid$60Ks.

Still.. it s a good price. About what i expected.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Very competitive. Sensibly undercutting the increasingly toppy stickers from BMW and Mercedes. $47K for a Cadillac V8, at a time when BMW is trying to get $45K for the 3L 6. I'd say this margin will be just enough to tempt buyers away from the Germans. Smart.

·
Registered
29 Posts
they won't lose millions of sales because of it, but AWD on the 6-cyl would have been nice. MB and Audi are offering AWD on just about their entire lines, E320 and A6 3.0 being no exceptions.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I like the pricing, but is the AWD really going to bump you into the 60's? There's no excuse for that. It really is a smart move to offer AWD, but it should be something you have available on every vehicle in your lineup, and definately no more than a $2-3k option at the most. If the AWD V8 STS is going to be over $65,000 w/o other options, then you start getting into competition with higher-end sedans such as the Audi A8, and I don't believe the STS can really be competitive there.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Great pricing GM! Lower than what I expected!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Originally posted by mgescuro@Apr 7 2004, 08:15 PM

Still.. it s a good price. About what i expected.
I seriously doubt your math. I SERIOUSLY doubt your math. If you have special information, please let us know, but I cant see AWD being a $15,000 option.

Lets even assume for a minute that you have a $48,000 base V8.

add 3,000 (more than generous) for DVD nav

add 3,000 for random other options (wheel/tire maybe, HUD, whatever else)

thats still $54,000 for a very well equiped model.

I REALLY REALLY dont think that AWD is going to cost 11 grand.

Prove me wrong if you got anything, but I dont see it.

·
Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
15,356 Posts
The top line models are supposed to cost about 65,000$ which is not too much considering my 02 STS cost almost 60k fully loaded. I think it is strange that Audi and Mercedes offer AWD on the 6 and 8 cylinder E class and A6 BMW doesn't offer AWD at all on the five series. But Lexus is offering AWD in the six cylinder GS300 only and Caddy offering AWD in only the V-8 models. They are going to sell a lot of STS's the Bmw looks like a Pontiac / MB is kinda pricy and their reliability ratings are going in the trash. The A6 is nice but I don't think it is percieved as high line of a product as the E class/ 5 series and the Lexus is percieved the same way nice but not a 5 Series or an E class.

·
Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
15,356 Posts
And 5.8 0-60 for the RWD STS V-8 auto same as the E500 faster than the A6 4.2 Quattro and even with the 545i's!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Originally posted by GM_Guy81+Apr 10 2004, 09:27 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (GM_Guy81 @ Apr 10 2004, 09:27 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-mgescuro@Apr 7 2004, 08:15 PM

Still.. it s a good price.  About what i expected.
I seriously doubt your math. I SERIOUSLY doubt your math. If you have special information, please let us know, but I cant see AWD being a $15,000 option.

Lets even assume for a minute that you have a $48,000 base V8.

add 3,000 (more than generous) for DVD nav

add 3,000 for random other options (wheel/tire maybe, HUD, whatever else)

thats still $54,000 for a very well equiped model.

I REALLY REALLY dont think that AWD is going to cost 11 grand.

Prove me wrong if you got anything, but I dont see it. [/b][/quote]
Since the STS is riding the same platform as the SRX, drivetrain options should have similar pricing.

SRX adds an additional 2k for AWD.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Excellent Job GM!!!!!

What value for the money!!!!! :bounce:

Far less expensive than I thought. Should see alot of these on Marco Island, FL next year........

Ken

·
Registered
1 Posts
:rolleyes: WHO CARES WHAT THE NEW PRICE IS FOR ANY CADILLAC. I BUY MINE WHEN THEY ARE 4-5 YEARS OLD.
90% OF CADILLAC OWNERS AND LEASEE'S MAINTAIN THEIR VEHICLES TO THE MAX. :D
MY '93 FLEETWOOD BROUGHAM WAS PURCHASED IN MINT CONDITION(48K) AND RUNS LIKE A BEAR.
I WON'T PART WITH IT.
NOTHING LIKE A FULLSIZE RWD TURNPIKE LOCOMOTIVE ON A TRIP. :laughbounce:

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by JAKE91@Apr 21 2004, 06:55 PM
:rolleyes: WHO CARES WHAT THE NEW PRICE IS FOR ANY CADILLAC. I BUY MINE WHEN THEY ARE 4-5 YEARS OLD.
90% OF CADILLAC OWNERS AND LEASEE'S MAINTAIN THEIR VEHICLES TO THE MAX. :D
MY '93 FLEETWOOD BROUGHAM WAS PURCHASED IN MINT CONDITION(48K) AND RUNS LIKE A BEAR.
I WON'T PART WITH IT.
NOTHING LIKE A FULLSIZE RWD TURNPIKE LOCOMOTIVE ON A TRIP. :laughbounce:
whoa...move that pinky over just a tad and hit that caps lock for me please?

People who buy these cars new care about the price.

·
Registered
538 Posts
:D So glad to see they quickly learned there pricing mistake from the SRX when it was released. And great to read they priced the STS competitively from the get-go for it's fall release. It's alot of car for the money.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Having recently rented a CTS, and then having investigated CTS pricing on the Cadillac website, it seems clear to me that the bottom of the line STS is marginally cheaper than the Sport-Luxury trimmed top of the CTS 6 cylinder line, and appears to be almost exactly comparable in equipment. Both are about $41K.

So if you're thinking about a fully tricked out CTS, you'll be able to save yourself a couple bucks by getting a bottom of the line STS, a bigger, most likely nicer car.

Screwy.

Maybe they're going to have to cut CTS prices?

(My review of the CTS is posted on this forum: CTS Review

Hint: I, a former 540i owner, was very favorably impressed.)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts