GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More press reaction to the STS announcement. This article also spends about as much time talking about the initial slow start for the SRX and how Cadillac has been quick to remedy the SRX price problem.

Caddy unveils luxury sport sedan
Rear-wheel drive STS replaces the Seville. Spring debut planned, GM's Cowger says

By Ed Garsten / The Detroit News

DEARBORN — Coming off its best sales year since 1990, Cadillac’s next weapon in its product arsenal was revealed Wednesday night.

Gary Cowger, president of General Motors Corp.’s North America operations, released an image of the 2005 Cadillac STS during a speech at the Automotive News World Congress.

“We think the STS will offer the right blend of a luxury car and a true sport sedan,” Cowger said.

more...

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More press reaction. This article stresses the "comeback story" aspect and role of the next STS. In the article, Mark LaNeve makes an unfotunate comparison of Cadillac's momentum to Howard Dean's momentum, (which has fallen off lately), but we know what he means:

AUTOMOTIVE NEWS WORLD CONGRESS: Cadillac STS is unveiled, could be flagship heralding brand's comeback

January 15, 2004

BY JOCELYN PARKER
FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER

The future of General Motors Corp.'s venerable Cadillac brand could rest on what looks like the bigger, curvier cousin of its popular CTS sedan: the all-new STS, set to hit dealerships this year.

GM officials, who released the first pictures of the STS Wednesday, said the vehicle, which replaces the Seville, could be a flagship for the Cadillac brand, competing with luxury brands such as the Mercedes E-Class and the BMW 5 series. Analysts say the vehicle means much more: The STS might be the strongest evidence that Cadillac is making a comeback after a decades-long decline.

more...

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by mgescuro@Jan 15 2004, 07:56 PM
<_<
Wonder what they mean by "Flagship."  WOuldn't that title go to the XLR?

-ME
Maybe it's just my imagination, but it seems like automotive writers call every new Cadillac a "flagship", usually followed by "...and Cadillac is betting the farm on this one", or something indicating that this particular new model had better succeed "or it's curtains for the venerable marque".

I dunno, is it just me? :blink:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well Cool Caddy, that is the case. General Motors has invested the cash cow in Cadillac because of past dull designs that put Cadillac in the red. 2003 was the best sales record they had since 1993.

XLR is the 'HALO' vehicle of Cadillac
:bounce:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts