GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Caddy courts California import owners with test drive parties
By Ed Garsten / The Detroit News

IRVINE, Calif. — It was an invitation-only foreign invasion of a defunct U.S. Marine base.

Motorists — in cars and SUVs hailing from Germany, Japan, Italy and Great Britain — drove up to a giant tent with a Hollywood-style faux brick facade festooned with a giant Cadillac logo. Rock music blared, and inside a buffet offered miniburritos, pastries and other finger foods.

But the General Motors Corp. luxury division didn’t invite these mostly import owners here for a picnic. Cadillac is trying to crack one of the toughest markets in the country with a series of “Drive Summits.”

Cadillac’s multibillion-dollar overhaul has translated into higher sales in California in recent years, but the brand still trails Mercedes-Benz, BMW and Lexus by a wide margin in the nation’s largest new car and truck market.

“We knew we had to do something different in California,” said Kim McGill, GM marketing director for North American products. “We didn’t have a lot of people getting in our cars.”

“We had to get behind enemy lines,” added Michael Navari, Cadillac national sales promotion manager.

more...

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
that's what needs to happen. if people drive the new Cadillacs, they can make an educated judgement on how they feel about them, instead of buying a name. the new Cads are pretty decent (i'm not wild about the CTS/SRX interiors, but the cars are pretty damn good) and they need to show people first hand just how much better they are these days. stupid "breakthrough" commercials won't tell people what they want to know. driving the cars will.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Look at that jump by Infiniti, though. That's mighty impressive for a brand that's not really deserving of the position it has.

This does show however that Caddy is making some headway, though obviously has a long way to go yet.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
That's purely due to the G35. It really hit the nail on the head.
yes, the G35 is an awesome car, however, don't underestimate the FX models, either. they do cater to a group of people who want a sport utility with a large emphasis on the sport. Infiniti has done a good job at bringing new life to its product line. the QX56 is a nice one, too. it may really give the Escalade some trouble. that being said, Caddilac is making a lot of good changes as well, and their products are only going to get better. that STS looks like a winner, and i've been seeing the CTS sell like crazy here. things are looking way good for Cad.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Originally posted by awalbert88@Mar 15 2004, 05:00 PM
Look at that jump by Infiniti, though. That's mighty impressive for a brand that's not really deserving of the position it has.
Huh? What makes you think Infiniti doesn't "deserve" this share?

Mark

·
Registered
481 Posts
I think that other GM branches should get involved with these "Drive Summits". It makes sense to me, seeing as how all of GM is "on the road to redemption". It's nice to see import customers taking serious consideration of the domestics(particularly GM).

·
Registered
504 Posts
Originally posted by GN6@Mar 16 2004, 05:03 AM
I think that other GM branches should get involved with these "Drive Summits". It makes sense to me, seeing as how all of GM is "on the road to redemption". It's nice to see import customers taking serious consideration of the domestics(particularly GM).
They are, in California atleast. I got a letter in the that said that there was going to be an event like this with vehicles from all the brands. There were very many that were going to be there.

I wish I would have gone, because it turns out they were some GTOs there.

·
Registered
44,279 Posts
<_<
I simply don't believe Audi has a SMALLER share of the CAlifornia market than Caddy!!?!?!?? Defiunitely not in the SF Bay Area, that's for sure.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by mgescuro@Mar 16 2004, 10:57 AM
<_<
I simply don't believe Audi has a SMALLER share of the CAlifornia market than Caddy!!?!?!?? Defiunitely not in the SF Bay Area, that's for sure.
I don't see a whole lot of Audi's down here in SoCal, so maybe a Bay Area sampling is skewed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
well i can tell you this,i did go to the caddy drive in irvine,i got to drive the XLR and it was sweet,i also drove the cts V and this bad boy hauls,they even had a little race between the bmw the mercedes and the CTSV GUESS WHO WON,this car is awsome, i also went to GM in motion in pomona, there i got to drive the gto and the zo6, plus the hummer, when i left i felt proud to be a Gm hombre again cause GM is finnally bringing back the mark of EXCELLANCE.

·
Registered
4 Posts
GM is definitely making inroads with import customers, lets hope they have persistence. For many affluent customers, its going to take a lot of time and convincing; and, let's not forget that the Japanese and the Germans are simply not going to sit back and watch Caddy take their market share. GM has squandered the good name of the Cadillac brand for so many years, it will be an uphill battle all the way. Even thought the styling of the new CTS is not for me (personally, I feel that both the exterior and interior lack class and quality) it does appeal to a certain crowd.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts