GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me, or are more and more cars starting to rip off Cadillac design themes?

My son mistook a Nissan Altima for a DeVille from a rear-quarter angle; and yesterday, my wife mistook a Nissan Pathfinder Armada for an Escalade.

In addition, the front of the Nissan Maxima also looks very CTS-like to me (Photoshop out the split grill and replace it with a CTS grill, and I suspect it would be a near dead-ringer), and the back of the Hyundai XG350 looks very DeVille like to me. I can go on.

I dunno, is it just me? I kind of hope it isn't, as I like the idea of automakers copying Cadillac designs, ("imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" and all that).

But if I'm not just imagining this, then what's next? BMW's that look like Pontiacs?... Nah. That'll never happen. ;)

·
Registered
236 Posts
The Maxima's front end is repulsive. Absolutely repulsive. The CTS is infinitely better!

·
Registered
164 Posts
The new Maxima has a superbly gorgeous sporty interior, the exterior is nice expect for the rear of the car. 265 hp is nice!! I hope other GM cars have available heated steering wheel, heated rear seats and an optional navagation system (PONTIAC GRAND PRIX is what I'm talking about)

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by footney@Jan 27 2004, 06:29 AM
Better comparison.
:huh: Whoa.

When you also consider the "design vocabulary" (<= ugh! I hate that term!) of the Maxima, you can't help but find even more comparisons with Cadillac's current look.

Stacked lights, with several inches of sheet metal separating them from a shield-shaped grille. Hmm.

I'm no Rex Raider, but a little dab here and a little dab there, and voila! A Nissan CTS...

·
Registered
41 Posts
I see no resemblance. The Maxima is so much rounder and it looks 100% Nissan, not at all Cadillac. Are they the same because they have verticle headlamps??? :huh:
And do not compare a Hyundai to a Cadillac.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by IMPALAon20s@Jan 27 2004, 12:53 PM
maybe you've talked about cadi's so much your family is starting to see cadi's everywhere??  just a thought
Could be something to it. We have three Cadillacs in the family, and I taught my son to recognize almost any Cadillac by age 5. (No, I'm not obsessed. :woot2:)

The Hyundai was something that was pointed out to me by a friend of mine, however, when that car first came out. We spotted the car on the road (from a rear angle) and he made some comment like, "Hey, that's not to bad for a Hyundai. It sort of looks like your Cadillac.", meaning to opine that Hyundai may be striving for a more elegant look, not to dis my car.

I had a DTS at the time. It was the first time I'd seen that particular Hyundai, and it did strike me as awfully similar. Had I gotten used to seeing the Hyundai before the thought was suggested to me, I may not have that perception.

·
Registered
248 Posts
CoolCady, like that orange CTS, where'd you get it? :D

When I think of a Cady Xerox, I think of the Infiniti G35. I remember Road and Track commented it'd look better with vertical taillights...but they dissed the CTS's look.

"Gee, maybe if the Infiniti had vertical taillights like, oh, I don't know, the CTS??!!" was something along the lines of my verbal reply... :kama:

·
Registered
41 Posts
To me, the CTS looks totally unique and classy. It's a very nice car. The Infiniti G35 is very nice, but nothing more than a Nissan Skyline. I don't think there is much resemblance between the cars.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Originally posted by nightwave@Jan 27 2004, 10:09 PM
When I think of a Cady Xerox, I think of the Infiniti G35.
I find these cars incredibly similar too. I'm a really good car spotter- even in the dark judging by the shape of headlights, but sometimes a G35 makes me do a double-take with the whole CTS thing.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by 2004_SRX_@Jan 27 2004, 11:25 PM
To me, the CTS looks totally unique and classy. It's a very nice car. The Infiniti G35 is very nice, but nothing more than a Nissan Skyline. I don't think there is much resemblance between the cars.
I agree that the CTS is unique, but we obviously disagree on some of the similar design elements that were (or weren't) copy-catted by some of these other cars. That Maxima still looks like a CTS-wannabe to me, as does the G35 to a lesser extent.

Just an "in the eye of the beholder" thing. Knowhaddamean?

·
Premium Member
6,926 Posts
Originally posted by coolcaddy@Jan 26 2004, 11:24 AM
Is it just me, or are more and more cars starting to rip off Cadillac design themes?

My son mistook a Nissan Altima for a DeVille from a rear-quarter angle; and yesterday, my wife mistook a Nissan Pathfinder Armada for an Escalade.

In addition, the front of the Nissan Maxima also looks very CTS-like to me (Photoshop out the split grill and replace it with a CTS grill, and I suspect it would be a near dead-ringer), and the back of the Hyundai XG350 looks very DeVille like to me. I can go on.

I dunno, is it just me? I kind of hope it isn't, as I like the idea of automakers copying Cadillac designs, ("imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" and all that).

But if I'm not just imagining this, then what's next? BMW's that look like Pontiacs?... Nah. That'll never happen. ;)

I agree with what you're saying. Cadillac had this styling first before everyone and now everyone's on it. I noticed it first with the Infiniti G35, and then with the Nissan Maxima.. It's not your imagination...

·
Premium Member
6,926 Posts
I agree that cars are taking from the Art and Science look.. But there's always been cars copying off of Cadillac..

The Oldsmobile Toronado and Buick Riviera were near-replicas of the Cadillac Eldorado.. Then you've got the sedans and the same happened with them... There was another Eldorado-looking car as well but I forget what it was..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts