GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or lack thereof...I feel ripped off. I just found out in another thread that the Malibu does have one, so I went out to look and dropped the glovebox. So I looked in there and there is no filter. Maybe it is only included in higher end models.

So two questions, one, what is the part number for the filter (I have looked on Autozone and I think it says N/A). Also, are those leaves sitting there a problem and if so, how do I clean them out?

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Or lack thereof...I feel ripped off. I just found out in another thread that the Malibu does have one, so I went out to look and dropped the glovebox. So I looked in there and there is no filter. Maybe it is only included in higher end models.

So two questions, one, what is the part number for the filter (I have looked on Autozone and I think it says N/A). Also, are those leaves sitting there a problem and if so, how do I clean them out?

Clear out the leaves. Its' nothing life threatening, but just clean 'em out.

It should have come with the filter, I'm damn sure the Cabin Air Filter was standard equipment on the 07 model year so , I would take it to the selling dealer and ask why your car doesn't have the media.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
How would I get to those leaves? It is behind a metal mesh in that picture.

I guess I could call or send an e-mail to my dealer. It was sold to me new but with 7000 miles on it (it was a dealer demo) so I don't know what will happen.

Edit: I found this on another message through a google search.

They did not come with a filter. But if you go to a Saturn dealer and ask for an Ion filter (costs ~12 here) you can just slip it in.

Open the glove box and remove everything. Press in very hard on the sides of the glove box and wiggle it back and forth while trying to pull it away from the dash. Its best to work on getting only one side of the glove box free before working on the other. Once you have disengaged both sides, the glove box will drop down. Now you are looking for a door that is about 2-3 inches tall and about as wide as the filter. Be careful when opening it. I snapped the latches of by trying to undo them the wrong way. Slide the filter in. Pay attention to the markings on which way the air goes on the filter. Inside the car, the air travels downward within that compartment. Close the door and then snap the glove box back in place. You're done!

If you should snap off the latches for that door, then you can a couple of pieces of strong tape (I use strapping take) to hold it in place.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
yea that seems odd that you dont have one in there. it looks like someone took it out to change it and never put one in there. the leaves is normal. i had them in my G5 to. i just want to pontiac and it was $40 for the filter. it seemed like kinda much sence last year i paid $21 for it. it should be in today and ill take a pic of what it looks like.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Or maybe it is just decontenting. I know the Taurus was like this in it's 4th generation (2000-2007). The cabin filter was under the windshield cowl and it would just not be there but you could add it in.

Do you think it uses the same filter as the Cobalt? Does it look like the same kind of housing? I am going to give the dealer's parts department a call tomorrow and see if they have a cabin air filter listed and how much it is.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I called the dealer and asked the parts guy to look it up and as far as he can see the 2007 Malibu does not have one listed. I asked him how much the one for the Cobalt costs and he said that cost $34.15. So now I am curious if I can fit the Cobalt one in there. Does anyone have the dimensions for the Cobalt's cabin filter?

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
when i go pick mine up on sateday ill get the dimensions
Thanks

Is it really such an issue? I mean unless you have allergy problems and always drive with windows up... anyway when you run A/C this usually filters out all the crud anyway because of the condensation.
I actually do have (seasonal) allergies pretty bad and my windows are almost always up.

I am curious, you know how on GM cars the air comes through the vents just from the car moving and no fan pushing it along? would that air also go through the filter or does it take a different path?

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
The air flows through on all cars not just GM (it is good to have airflow because otherwise you'll get drowsy and crash)

As you are driving the air is hitting the windshield. This makes the area at the bottom of the windshield a high pressure.

There are vents at the rear of the car. This makes the cabin pressure lower than ambient pressure.

Thus the air is pushed through the car.

A filter will present a "pressure wall" so to speak so the airflow will be reduced. But there will still be airflow, and usually the filter is pretty "thin" and not restrictive... you could blow air at one side and feel it at the other.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It doesn't always come through on its own. In my Taurus, air would only come through the vents whenever the fan was on (either in vent mode or A/C). In all GM cars I encounter, air comes through the vents when the climate control is turned to off. My sister's Ford Explorer is the same way. Maybe it is just Fords?

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went out and measured the space where the filter would go. It is 9" deep and 10" wide. I hope the Cobalt is the same way.

On an unrelated note: I just paid $3.89 for gas on the way home from work. WoOt!

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Success!

I just got a regular Purolator filter from Advance (they are having a 25% off sale) for $10.88. It seems to filter well, it doesn't fit in there very snugly, but I'm not sure if it should anyway. There seems to be a 1/4 inch of total movement (side to side) in the filter housing which is good enough for me.

So anyone who wants to add a filter should know that it is possible.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I hope you stocked up and bought more then ONE! ;)
...umm, sure I did...

*runs out and buys more*

But seriously, I just found out my dad needs an engine filter (which was also 25% off) for his Suburban. That filter is black two. I am so neglectful. lol So I am stopping by and getting one for him.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts