GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

· Super Moderator
22,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
C9 Chevy Corvette Will Have Internal Combustion Engine, Debut in 2028: Report (msn.com)
Story by Peter Holderith
January 23, 2023

The C9 Chevy Corvette rumors are beginning in earnest. We haven't even seen all of the trims of the C8 yet, but a next-generation 'Vette is already coming into focus. As GM Authority reports, the news is good. The new Corvette reportedly will not be electric, it will sit on a revised version of the C8 platform, and it's allegedly architecturally unrelated to the rumored Corvette sedan and SUV. There is some news there, too.

Automotive lighting Hood Car Motor vehicle Orange

Reports that the next Corvette will be a lot like the current car follow concrete statements that General Motors is tooling up to build its sixth-generation small-block V8. It's more than likely the next Corvette will be powered by some flavor of this motor, although specifications for GM's fancy new engine have not been revealed publicly. We do know it will still be bolted into the middle of the car, though.

Continues at link

· Registered
7,367 Posts
Figured as much with the V8 announcement. I'm just surprised that they're working updates to the C8 so soon after the C7 was born. There's still something like a 9 month backlog I hear for new customers. You'd think they'd get a bunch of units on dealers lots before they even started thinking about an update. I'm guessing this is probably to start integrating more electric into the architecture before the full migration.

· Registered
1,407 Posts
Love it… More ICE, more small block. Will be an excellent car I am sure.

Reactions: gkr778

· Registered
1,488 Posts
Definitely excited to see what we get to hear about Gen VI engines, and the vehicles they go in!

Never too early to start conjecture!

Makes sense they'd keep with the current platform for another generation.

The way the article is written it makes the production of the Corvette SUV and sedan are a given in 2025 - I hadn't realized that.
I agree this is mostly conjeture given there's no announcement from GM, vs. combinging TheDrive and GM Authority sources, which I've found pretty questionable in the past. These days it seems pretty common for a forum post to get picked up by different online "news" outlets, and then get re-referenced and quoted so many times everyone things it's corraborated and real.
Figured as much with the V8 announcement. I'm just surprised that they're working updates to the C8 so soon after the C7 was born. There's still something like a 9 month backlog I hear for new customers. You'd think they'd get a bunch of units on dealers lots before they even started thinking about an update. I'm guessing this is probably to start integrating more electric into the architecture before the full migration.
Yeah the V8 announcement suggests things are coming soon. Speculation I've heard that seems a bit more reasonable to me are updated truck power trains, and even a new base C8 engine. C6 went from LS2 to LS3 mid-cycle so it's not unprecedented, although more recently C7 kept the LT1 the entire time, so I guess we'll see. Emissions standards may be pushing Gen VI into 4VPC DOHC and that might drive GM to move to Gen VI across the board.

The Corvette team has said they start working on the next generation care basically immediately after the current generation is "done", so it's not surprsing they'd be working on C9 now or pretty soon. Not sure what "done" really means though, there are still at least 1 or 2 unannounced C8 varients, so C8 may not be considered "done" until development is wrapped up on those.
kinda early to announce but whatever. The good news is that GM has people in place that realize there’s more to the entire driving experience than numbers on a piece of paper.
Not sure GM did announce it though, vs. internet outlets speculating about it? Agreed it seems like they're going in the right direction in terms of the whole package. For C8 that seems moving up market a decent amount, which is sort of a double edged sword since I think it's putting more varients out of reach of a lot of previous Corvette fans, but the "base" Stingray seems like it's held price pretty well over the past 20 years when you consider inflation.
I love how we get this news and the C8 is still fresh. Meanwhile in Camaro news… well, crickets.
Yeah I get the sentiment and I really wish we'd hear some good news from GM about Camaro. That said this article doesn't have a ton of actual substantiation in it, so I'm thinking "news" may be a stretch vs. speculation and hopes!

· Super Moderator
22,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Definitely excited to see what we get to hear about Gen VI engines, and the vehicles they go in!

I agree this is mostly conjeture given there's no announcement from GM, vs. combinging TheDrive and GM Authority sources, which I've found pretty questionable in the past. These days it seems pretty common for a forum post to get picked up by different online "news" outlets, and then get re-referenced and quoted so many times everyone things it's corraborated and real.

Yeah the V8 announcement suggests things are coming soon. Speculation I've heard that seems a bit more reasonable to me are updated truck power trains, and even a new base C8 engine. C6 went from LS2 to LS3 mid-cycle so it's not unprecedented, although more recently C7 kept the LT1 the entire time, so I guess we'll see. Emissions standards may be pushing Gen VI into 4VPC DOHC and that might drive GM to move to Gen VI across the board.

The Corvette team has said they start working on the next generation care basically immediately after the current generation is "done", so it's not surprsing they'd be working on C9 now or pretty soon. Not sure what "done" really means though, there are still at least 1 or 2 unannounced C8 varients, so C8 may not be considered "done" until development is wrapped up on those.

Not sure GM did announce it though, vs. internet outlets speculating about it? Agreed it seems like they're going in the right direction in terms of the whole package. For C8 that seems moving up market a decent amount, which is sort of a double edged sword since I think it's putting more varients out of reach of a lot of previous Corvette fans, but the "base" Stingray seems like it's held price pretty well over the past 20 years when you consider inflation.

Yeah I get the sentiment and I really wish we'd hear some good news from GM about Camaro. That said this article doesn't have a ton of actual substantiation in it, so I'm thinking "news" may be a stretch vs. speculation and hopes!
Definitely speculation, though I've no doubts that GM is indeed starting to work on the C9 and I also have no doubts they'll use the C8 chassis - not that it is unheard of for GM to discard a chassis after one use, I'd be surprised in this case.

And I 100% agree - much of today's reporting is just a "reporter" reading and regurgitating another news outlet's reporting. Slightly changing the content with every iteration and magically changing conjecture into fact.

· Premium Member
37,889 Posts
OMG!!! GAsoline!! Infernal combustion!!! carbon!!! Help hlep hlep we're all gonna diiiiiiiiiiiie!!! No no please Gawddddd-uhhhhhhhhhhh noooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! o_O

• Haha
Reactions: Cphelps and ehaase

· Registered
7,852 Posts
Definitely speculation, though I've no doubts that GM is indeed starting to work on the C9 and I also have no doubts they'll use the C8 chassis - not that it is unheard of for GM to discard a chassis after one use, I'd be surprised in this case ....
It just seems a bit early. We just got the totally new C8 (to rave reviews) and hardly something to be discarded. While I could see a refresh, midcycle enhancement, or whatever in a few years, I wouldn't foresee changes extensive enough to refer to it as a new generation.

· Super Moderator
22,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It just seems a bit early. We just got the totally new C8 (to rave reviews) and hardly something to be discarded. While I could see a refresh, midcycle enhancement, or whatever in a few years, I wouldn't foresee changes extensive enough to refer to it as a new generation.
My though is they are NOT heavily into the C9 process, maybe starting design sketches, etc. Any other GM vehicle I'd say "ludicrous", but the Corvette is GM's sacred cow that they put a lot of thought into. Maybe Yello430 is looking and can chime in if he knows anything about the Corvette design process.

Even look at this electrified C8 - In one of the recent articles they stated that the C8 Hybrid's batteries have nothing to do with Ultium because they were already locked into place and designed before Ultium started - I see that as an example of how long they take with the Vette.

· Registered
2,838 Posts
OMG!!! GAsoline!! Infernal combustion!!! carbon!!! Help hlep hlep we're all gonna diiiiiiiiiiiie!!! No no please Gawddddd-uhhhhhhhhhhh noooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! o_O
Just back from Davos?

Reactions: Neanderthal

· Registered
3,484 Posts

What doesn’t make any sense is the Alpha cars are clearly sticking around for a while and won’t be replaced by EVs for some time yet. Why not update the interior and give another refresh to the exterior of the Camaro. Plus to take the Z/28 off of the shelf.

· Registered
1,877 Posts
As we are only on the second model year of the C8, I feel this is a bit premature and pie-in-the-sky. Until GM itself says something or we see a mule, I'm calling "Nah, not really".....but dear Dog, the internet has latched onto it. Fake news! No, seriously, not just news you don't like or that doesn't fit your narrative, this really is fake! Even the article says "we don't know" and "unsure" and "rumor". How is this news? I blame short attention span TikTok-brain.

· Registered
2,838 Posts
As we are only on the second model year of the C8, I feel this is a bit premature and pie-in-the-sky.
The pandemic years do count so we're actually entering the FIFTH model year of the C8(2020-2024) and supply has still never met demand. No need whatsoever for GM to begin marketing the C9.

Reactions: Cphelps and AWHoden

· Premium Member
37,889 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: tripowergto Jan2003

· Premium Member
1,263 Posts
My though is they are NOT heavily into the C9 process, maybe starting design sketches, etc. Any other GM vehicle I'd say "ludicrous", but the Corvette is GM's sacred cow that they put a lot of thought into. Maybe Yello430 is looking and can chime in if he knows anything about the Corvette design process.

Even look at this electrified C8 - In one of the recent articles they stated that the C8 Hybrid's batteries have nothing to do with Ultium because they were already locked into place and designed before Ultium started - I see that as an example of how long they take with the Vette.
It’s not early.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts