GM Inside News Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
I'd have to say then that prices are relative to what you are used to. I assume any imported supercar has a hefty markup in Australia, so they are all like that - Corvette is still a bargain with the competition doing the same.

I quickly speced out a convertible LT3 Z51 with all of the major bells and whistles, even taking the $1,400 luggage and just barely cracked $100k USD. I bet a 911 will have a similar $30k+ (if not more) USD markup
Not for a GM product it isn't. It just isn't going to sell. How many times do you have to be told that GM is dead in Australia.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Some people do because GM pulled the plug on Australia and the people lost their mind.

I personally don't care if the people of Australia ever get a decent car ever again.
My 2008 commodore is still better then anything GM has in it's inventory at the moment.

·
Registered
464 Posts
what are you talking about?
GM is dead in Australia. You really don't realise how much hatred for GM there is do you. We remember Holden as it was and there is no market for any GM product in Australia any more. Also the C8 isn't going up against supercars it is going up against the mustang and that can be had from Au$73k and there are no dealers for GMSV because GM ****ed over all their dealers on the way out.

·
Registered
12,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
GM is dead in Australia. You really don't realise how much hatred for GM there is do you. We remember Holden as it was and there is no market for any GM product in Australia any more. Also the C8 isn't going up against supercars it is going up against the mustang and that can be had from Au$73k and there are no dealers for GMSV because GM ****ed over all their dealers on the way out.
C8 isnt going up against Mustang thats ridiculous in the extreme

I get the hate for GM but lets be honest here the Silverado is starting to get some small victories in sales and so will C8 Corvette

The only people that will have a backlash to GM are the ones that can't buy a V8 for under 50K anymore and trust me there will likely be no V8's at all by the end of the decade under 100k

·
Registered
464 Posts
Silverado won't last at $110k for such a vehicle. We are recovering from covid and there isn't any room for expensive cars in Australia like the silverado and corvette. There isn't any spare cash here for that. Those cars just don't sell in Australia because there isn't any money in Australia. Have a look at the mustang and how it's sales have plummeted. American cars just don't sell in this country.

·
Registered
464 Posts
GMSV say mcgrath holden at Liverpool is a dealer except I went past there the other day and there isn't any sign that Holden / HSV ever existed there. It's all mazda, vw and Nissan. Heck the first thing you see when driving past the lot is second hand VF commodores in the used car section. The VF still sell more then these Silverado's.

·
Registered
12,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Silverado won't last at $110k for such a vehicle. We are recovering from covid and there isn't any room for expensive cars in Australia like the silverado and corvette. There isn't any spare cash here for that. Those cars just don't sell in Australia because there isn't any money in Australia. Have a look at the mustang and how it's sales have plummeted. American cars just don't sell in this country.
Hate to burst your bubble but when people are paying 150k for a Landcruiser and second hand market is through the roof due to Covid and no new models coming I think there are plenty of people with money willing to spend it

Anyone looking at a tow rig is now seriously considering Silverado and Ram due to Landcruiser no longer having a V8 and the cost of new ones being so high

In comparison any of the US made "trucks" are cheap

·
Registered
9,399 Posts
Hate to burst your bubble but when people are paying 150k for a Landcruiser and second hand market is through the roof due to Covid and no new models coming I think there are plenty of people with money willing to spend it

Anyone looking at a tow rig is now seriously considering Silverado and Ram due to Landcruiser no longer having a V8 and the cost of new ones being so high

In comparison any of the US made "trucks" are cheap
I know Toyota is full out building 79 series because of demand down under and the far north in Canada and I believe the RAM is maxing out the shop converting them to RHD / ADR compliance

·
Registered
11 Posts
Prices on used Commodores disagree. Demand is still outstripping supply. The last of the VF HSV's are selling for well into 6 figures...

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
464 Posts
Prices on used Commodores disagree. Demand is still outstripping supply. The last of the VF HSV's are selling for well into 6 figures...

I never said HSV. Here in Australia there are a whole lot of other v8's that are going for around $50-60k. Then you have SV6's going for just over $32k. At least the Silverado has a market but who has money in Australia to afford a $180k 2 seater. Australian's aren't as rich as people think we are but maybe some of us try to live beyond our means. Mind you maybe the Silverado isn't about competing with other cars. Maybe with houses so unaffordable people are using rent / mortgage money to buy a vehicle they can live in.

·
Registered
12,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I never said HSV. Here in Australia there are a whole lot of other v8's that are going for around $50-60k. Then you have SV6's going for just over $32k. At least the Silverado has a market but who has money in Australia to afford a $180k 2 seater. Australian's aren't as rich as people think we are but maybe some of us try to live beyond our means. Mind you maybe the Silverado isn't about competing with other cars. Maybe with houses so unaffordable people are using rent / mortgage money to buy a vehicle they can live in.
Silverado/Ram (both converted by Walkinshaw) have a market for people towing large vans who don't want to worry about GCM limits and do it comfortably

I've spoken to quite a few owners and my son works in the 4x4 upgrade industry and most are now looking at the larger American trucks as FE is roughly the same while towing but they do it easier

The more that are out there the cheaper they will get

Even right now they''re cheaper than buying a Landcruiser and upgrading it

·
Registered
10,437 Posts
I doubt it. Unwanted brand and an unwanted car.
As it is a Chev and we had Commodores tarted up with Chev badges I think they will sell some. It looks good and I guess it goes good (not being able to drive one). If they can sell Porsche 911 GT2s for over 600K then they should be able to find buyers for a C8 at 150K (I guess that pricing includes luxury car tax).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hmmmm.

Ok, so an SS V8 that sold new for $50-$60k brand new in 2017 selling 4 years later for pretty much the same price doesn't indicate any pent up demand in the marketplace?

I am by no means a fan of the way GM dealt with the local dealer network, and I agree that their mismanagement of the brand was deplorable, but your opinions simply aren't supported by any facts, and a low volume, high performance car like the Corvette will find plenty of buyers easily in our V8 starved market.

Certainly enough to handle the few we will be allocated...

21 - 40 of 46 Posts