GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
No. Horrible idea, the public backlash would be epic. At least I'd hope it would be. Besides, I'm pretty sure there would be little weight savings over a pushrod V8, and probably no money saved either. The center of gravity of a DOHC 60-degree V6 would probably be higher too. If they wanted to go lighter, and smaller displacement, I'd rather see a short-deck, short stroke, big bore gen 5 engine with an LS7 bore (4.125) and a stroke like the 4.8L (3.27). That would net 350 cubic inches (5.7L), and allow for some serious top-end horsepower.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Bad idea......one I hope GM figures out before it's too late

Besides, as the article says.....
Extracting enough performance from such a small unit to generate the three levels of Corvette we’ve grown so familiar with - the base, Z06 and ZR-1 - could end up creating a very highly-strung unit at the upper end of the range. So highly strung that the cost and technology necessary might make it cost-prohibitive, even when fuel efficiency savings are taken into effect.

·
Registered
9,066 Posts
I know then the Corvette was originally with a 6-cylinder before the V8 came for 1955 but I don't think thw twin-turbo V6 for the next ZR1 might fit the Corvette image unless putting a new Corvette variety or test the waters with a concept-car present for SEMA and various auto shows.

The Twin-turbo V6 idea however, might be good on an other car, I could imagine a modern incarnation of the Buick Grand National (the Holden coupe 60 concept seems to be right fit for a Buick model) or for a Cadillac model. I also taught of Pontiac who could use it for a package model of the G8 called Sprint as a nod to the Sprint trim series with the OHC-6 offered in the Tempest/LeMans and Firebird from 1966-70

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Oh...so we go from 600hp, to 400hp for the ZR1?
Not going to happen. Misinformation. We probably wont get a ZR1 again, but if it does, it will most deffinatly be 8 cyls and use advanced technology just like ZR1's of the past.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
The Twin-turbo V6 idea however, might be good on an other car, I could imagine a modern incarnation of the Buick Grand National (the Holden coupe 60 concept seems to be right fit for a Buick model) or for a Cadillac model. I also taught of Pontiac who could use it for a package model of the G8 called Sprint as a nod to the Sprint trim series with the OHC-6 offered in the Tempest/LeMans and Firebird from 1966-70
Possible Apps. for a TTV6......

G8
Camaro
Cadillac____________??

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Oh...so we go from 600hp, to 400hp for the ZR1?
Nah, it would be totally easy to get ZR1 numbers our of a 3.6L, you'd just need about 16lbs of boost (assuming a 100% effective aftercooler). No problem. I'm sure the 3.6L was designed for that too.

OK, I'm done

Seriously though, I'd be all for the previously-mentioned Grand National based on a Holden Coupe 60. With 7lbs of boost it would be making LS3 numbers. But, would a turbo 3.6L be lighter or cheaper, OR get better mileage than an LS3????

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
A Twin-turbo V6 wont happen in a 'Vette... but i would LOVE to see a Di Twin-turbo V6 in the Camaro!!!

·
Registered
4,391 Posts

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
Nah, it would be totally easy to get ZR1 numbers our of a 3.6L, you'd just need about 16lbs of boost (assuming a 100% effective aftercooler). No problem. I'm sure the 3.6L was designed for that too.

OK, I'm done

Seriously though, I'd be all for the previously-mentioned Grand National based on a Holden Coupe 60. With 7lbs of boost it would be making LS3 numbers. But, would a turbo 3.6L be lighter or cheaper, OR get better mileage than an LS3????
It wont be lighter and it might get the gas mileage however with such an engine you can turn up the boost and make some LS9 type horsepower and torque though.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
The ZR1's first test mules were twin turbo engines, but the packaging and heat were big problems.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Maybe they plan this TT6 for the base corvette and this is taking the Corvette back to its roots, hell when GM introduced the old stovebolt engines back in 1929 it was the top engine for Chevrolets until the small block was introduced in 1954 and I dont remember hearing so much people complaining

1 - 14 of 14 Posts