GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even before the tires had cooled on what is the fastest, most powerful Corvette ever to hit the streets of America—we're talking about the 2009 Corvette ZR1 of course—we couldn't help but wonder: How in the world are they going to top this?

"We can't comment on future product," came the usual, deadpanned reply from the engineers on hand here at the test track. But we have other sources. And we tapped them to find out if there was any truth to the mid-engine rumors, if certain powertrains had been locked in this far ahead of schedule and exactly what design direction the next Vette might take.

So here's our best guess for what General Motors has in store for the C7 Corvette. But keep in mind that a lot can happen between now and 2012, when this car is set to debut. Thanks to high fuel prices, the auto industry has changed more in the past two years than it has in the past decade. So don't be surprised if what you read here differs from the fiberglass, steel and aluminum reality of the future.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/new_cars/4278611.html

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
i know some body with a Corvette Convrt. with 28 mpg. that pretty good!

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
I wouldnt be surprised for a C7 to come in under 3k. More use of aluminum on body pannels, and not the frames as they are very expensive and would be a huge money loss for a vette starting around 50k.
Id expect the launch of the Gen V's to come up soon.

·
Super Moderator
14,201 Posts
Interesting stuff.

I'd imagine that the C7 will be loosely based on the C6, since the mid-engined car is now dead. If that's the case, using the Z06/ZR1 aluminum frame across the board, is a no-brainer.

I'm sure that Corvette will retain an all V8 powertrain line up as well, perhaps with less displacement but similar power.

I'm with you Al, a sub 3000 pound curb weight has got to be the target.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I think the author is right about reduced displacement, although i hope they don't resurrect the 305! haha

·
Premium Member
2,461 Posts
Fuel efficiency next? I'd say the Corvette is already fuel efficient enough. And has been for a while.
If driven responsibly :)

Though a few small changes that each increase the efficency a bit wont go astray, get it into the low 30s for highway economy doesn't hurt and makes for good advertising, especially when you can say your V8 sportscar gets as good a mileage as a a Camry or something (some fun ads).

A lot will come down to how the CAFE numbers are worked out, slightly different gearing in a base model where performance is still very respectable but the mileage goes up quite a bit, then offer the usual packages like the Z51 where a more performance orientated setup is used more in line with what is available today.

Given how the Audi R10 (?) race cars are with their diesels I wouldn't flat out reject a diesel Corvette though I would expect GM would need to do some solid market research first before making it a go, a diesel could be seen as too far out/radical for the market is able to cope and even if it would bring more sales would that put the plant in a situation where it is overworked, more demand is great but you still need to be able to get the product to the buyer before they give up and go elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
A lightweight twin turbo v6 setup would be pretty hot, not that I can afford a corvette anyway. And while corvette's historically have gotten pretty reasonable highway fuel economy, the latest 6l+ variations get like 26, not really that fantastic when 5.7s got 29-30.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Jbernie, you're right, if a 'Vette is driven like a normal car it can acheive MPG numbers that people I speak with just plain don't believe. That said, yes, you can drive it like a banshee, just don't have the instant MPG gauge on the DIC at the time. That's the point with a Corvette, you can drive it as a race car and it acts like one, or you can drive it every day and it's very civilized for that. That alone makes it a great car. Plus it can truely achieve 28 mpg on the hwy at 75mph if it's not a hilly area.
And now, GM is giving you an extra 6K off so go crazy!

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
They will make the next Vette better than the current one, that has always been the case. I'm not to wild at all about a TT V6. Now a TT V8:ponder:

Essentials for the next Vette:

A) a decent headlight design. i hate the spider eyes of the current Vette.
B) smaller rear end.
C) an interior not catering to Euro-snobs. Its an AMERICAN car.
D) more exaggerated styling elements. For instance, the ZR1 side cove scoops look like what should have come on the standard car back in 2005. Do not restrain styling. Styling sells the car before anything else does.
E) Tighter body gaps. Ex: the current Vette has too wide of a gap between the hood and fenders.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I would like to see a 300hp V-8, 6-speed, Z-51 no-frills Vette that is priced under $40 000. I would imagine it could exceed 30mpg.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
I don't think the 'Vette needs to use a V6. It would be nice, but getting 30+ mpg isn't really the #1 priority for 'Vette buyers. Granted, I still hope they can get an extra 2 mpg out of it.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Although a V6 version with the aluminum frame from the Z06 and a Aisin 6 spd manual instead of a Tremec 6 spd manual, would probably weigh 150-200lbs less than the current version.

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
C) an interior not catering to Euro-snobs. Its an AMERICAN car.
Corvette interior is generally along the lines of a regular Chevy, so probably something Malibu-esque, I'd guess.

On the other hand, the new Camaro interior outshines the Corvette's IMO, so perhaps GM will have something really stylish (and "American") up their sleeves.

D) more exaggerated styling elements. For instance, the ZR1 side cove scoops look like what should have come on the standard car back in 2005. Do not restrain styling. Styling sells the car before anything else does.
I hope so too. But the traditional Corvette buyer seems pretty conservative. GM will probably continue the natural evolution of the styling with nothing too radical.

E) Tighter body gaps. Ex: the current Vette has too wide of a gap between the hood and fenders.
Isn't that the reason GM dropped the plastic panels from Saturn? It might be inevitable with the fiberglass.

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
The Corvette is a prime example of how GM can do a vehicle so right so consistently. I expect the C7 will come with a clean design and better performance than the C6, and I expect GM will sell every single one of them. As they deserve to.

This article has pretty well thought out speculation; only a few details seem out of place.

i know some body with a Corvette Convrt. with 28 mpg. that pretty good!
Pretty good? I think it's great, especially considering that that's not anywhere near the top priority of this vehicle.

"We can't comment on future product," came the usual, deadpanned reply from the engineers on hand here at the test track.
Lutz is a narcissist and is thus easily baited. All we need is a well-placed interviewer: "from what I've seen, nothing suggests that the Corvette will ever be able to compete with either the 911 or GT-R. Because of CAFE, we'll probably see the end of the Corvette after the C6 has its full run, right Bob?" I have faith we'll be hearing about the C7 from him long before the tires meet the road in 2012.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
instead of a twin turbo 6 why cant it have an 8 that runs on 6 cylinder until all 8 are needed?

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Lets not get carried away here with what the C7 will and wont be.

It wont be Mid engine
It wont have a V6, a turbo v6 or any variation of turbocharging and a V6.

It will be an evolutionary design change over the current model.
It will be have to cater to Euro-Snobs, at least on quality of materials. Just cause its a Corvette and a Chevy doesnt mean it has to have the interior of a Cobalt. The Corvette must take the next step into a better interior with better seating, better materials, tighter gaps, intergrated hvac/radio systems, as well as an overall stylish interior.

Corvette should not change its current path. Leaner, smaller, tighter, that should be the motto of the C7 team.
I dont think that the Aluminum chassis could be built in numbers to produce a profit, and most likely cost WAY too much. The low numbers of the Z06 and ZR1 aluminum platforms are cost effective due to its low production numbers. If you pump that up 10x the number currently, the cost of the car will go out of control. Jag can get away with it on a 70k sports car, but for the Corvette coming in at around 45k, it would be a money loser with every unit sold.

Lighten the car up, make the car more responsive, and with the upcoming direct injected Gen V small blocks, that means smaller displacement engines making the same power the current car does.
If the C7 comes in at 3000lbs and makes 400hp, that would give Corvette a better power to weight ratio then the current C6 coming in at 3200lbs. I do think its time to let go of the leaf-spring set up and move to a much more compact coil over design, with the MRC system at the heart of it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts