GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Banned
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This stuff is so illegal it boarders on Federal anti-trust fraud. And if you don't think this is blatant advertising for both Toyota and Honda then there is something wrong...:

Home > Blogs > Consumer Reports Cars Blog

Instead of this Chrysler:You could buy this car and have lower fuel costs over three years, even without discounted gas.
  • Dodge Durango 5.7L, 4WD (13 mpg)< instead of this You could have had: Toyota Highlander AWD (18 mpg) or Honda Pilot AWD (17 mpg)
  • Dodge Caliber SXT FWD (24 mpg)< instead of this You could have had: Honda Fit (32 mpg)
  • Dodge Nitro SLT AWD (16 mpg)< instead of this You could have had: Honda CR-V AWD (21 mpg) or Toyota RAV4 4-cyl., AWD (23 mpg)
Six years
But let’s say that you keep a car longer than three years. After that time’s up (whether you’ve consumed your allotted quota of discounted gas or not), you go back to paying the same fuel prices as everyone else. Here the difference lessens: you would need to buy a car with about 9.5 percent better fuel economy than the Chrysler product to equal things out.
Instead of this Chrysler:You could buy this car and have lower fuel costs over six years, even without discounted gas.
  • Dodge Charger 3.5L V6 (19 mpg)< instead of this You could have had: Toyota Avalon (22 mpg)
  • Dodge Caliber SXT FWD (24 mpg)< instead of this You could have had: Nissan Versa (28 mpg)
  • Chrysler Pacifica AWD (16 mpg)< instead of this You could have had: Toyota Highlander AWD (18 mpg)
  • Dodge Caravan 3.8L V6 (16 mpg)< instead of this You could have had: Toyota Sienna (19 mpg) Honda Odyssey (19 mpg)
As you can see, Chrysler refused to pay Consumer Reports their annual hush-hush money...

IFCAR and other haters can in no way, shape or form tell us that Consumer Reports is "unbiased" after reading this Toyota and Honda advertisement. You'd have to have rocks for brains to actually believe they are...
http://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/behind_the_hype/index.html
$2.99 gas from Chrysler—Deal or no deal?

avalon mileage consumer Reports

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
Very sad. I don't see a Nissan, Chevy, Hyundai, Ford, Pontiac, Mercury, GMC, Kia, Suzuki, Subaru or Mazda car in the 'instead of' column. Thats just plain wrong. I understand the point they are trying to make and that there are other more fuel efficient options...unfortunately, it points out the 'perceived' 'safe bets' instead of being objective. You'd think Automotive Journalism would be a bit more professional. Unfortunately PMC, pro-CR people (IfCar included) will argue that Toyota and Honda routinely top CR reviews/compros so recommending a comparison against the 'best' and 'benchmarks' of the class is only fair. I don't agree, but thats what they will say.

Happy Posting!

·
Banned
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Very sad. I don't see a Nissan, Chevy, Hyundai, Ford, Pontiac, Mercury, GMC, Kia, Suzuki, Subaru or Mazda car in the 'instead of' column. Thats just plain wrong. I understand the point they are trying to make and that there are other more fuel efficient options...unfortunately, it points out the 'perceived' 'safe bets' instead of being objective. You'd think Automotive Journalism would be a bit more professional. Unfortunately PMC, pro-CR people (IfCar included) will argue that Toyota and Honda routinely top CR reviews/compros so recommending a comparison against the 'best' and 'benchmarks' of the class is only fair. I don't agree, but thats what they will say.

Happy Posting!
I'd like to know where the haters are come rebate time.
The unbiased thing to do is for C/R to have "instead of this You could have had" spreadsheets when automakers start offering their rebates. But then again, we aren't dealing with unbiasedness here, now are we...

·
Super Moderator
21,021 Posts
Wow...usually I don't pay attention to your stuff, but this is really really bad...someone needs to put a stop to this. I have no doubt in my mind that toyota and honda paid off Consumer Reports to write ***** like that. It's so freaking obvious too, at least make it look somewhat credible by throwing in a Ford or GM or something.

Report it to local government officials.
Is there something or somewhere you can report this to? I think PMC's the guy to do it...

·
Banned
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...Going now to Consumer Reports article on the Smart for two, we read some disturbingly conflicting informantion...

The risk of small cars
While the ForTwo performed well overall in the tests by these two organizations, the risk of death is high in crashes of smaller, lighter vehicles. "For vehicles 1-3 years old during 2006," reports IIHS, "minicars experienced 106 driver deaths per million registered vehicles compared with 69 driver deaths in large cars."
Now these United Nations activists are telling us that small cars aren't safe (which is what we knew all along). What's next? Are they going to tell us that the V8 Buick Lucerne is actually more comfortable than the Toyota Avalon? That the Chevy Malibu has less road noise than the Honda Accord? Slowly but surely they tell the truth (but only when it fits their agenda)?
What's funny but not in a 'ha-ha' sort of way is that they admit the Smart isn't safe -- but only because Chrysler makes it. If it were made by Toyota, C/R never would have published this stuff.

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/auto_news/index.html

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
It's just illustrating the fuel cost difference between the lower-mileage Chryslers with a cheap-gas rebate and a more fuel-efficient competitor with no rebate. I expect they chose the cars they did because they were the most fuel-efficient in their respective classes. I don't see where that turns into bias for Toyota, Honda, and Nissan.

And Chrysler doesn't make the smart.

·
Premium Member
36,287 Posts
You still hanging around here?

1. Learn how to spell.
2. Learn what a "Trust" is.

If you're shooting for a Pulitzer Prize, you've missed the target.

·
Registered
676 Posts

Happy Posting!
You must have missed the "Nissan Versa" bit.

I don't see why this is an issue, sounds like a bunch of whingers crying because their team wasn't picked.

·
Registered
15,633 Posts
Wow...usually I don't pay attention to your stuff, but this is really really bad...someone needs to put a stop to this. I have no doubt in my mind that toyota and honda paid off Consumer Reports to write ***** like that. It's so freaking obvious too, at least make it look somewhat credible by throwing in a Ford or GM or something.
Absolutely.

Chrysler is the only 'safe' one for them to 'kick' - although some of their stuff is improving as well.

If you want to see the most ridiculous list that they ( CR ) have ever published - which is sayin' a whole lot - go look at their high mpg used car recommendations.

Until a formal investigation is done concerning where they get all their 160,000,000 ( million ) dollar plus 'funding' from ........................................

You know, maybe we could get the ball rollin' here - at least with a survey - maybe a 'mock' petition.

·
Registered
15,633 Posts
Do you know what is called a "freedom of the speech" and a "freedom of the press";)
If in fact, as many of us suspect, CR has been on the payola' there are both civil and criminal proceedings that could be brought to bear.

Just as important regardless of possible outcomes concerning the above, would be the loss in credibility - it would shut them down within a short period of time.

I like to think that in that scenerio, realistically, there would also be a useful uptick in Domestic purchasing.

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
This stuff is so illegal it boarders on Federal anti-trust fraud. And if you don't think this is blatant advertising for both Toyota and Honda then there is something wrong...:
As you can see, Chrysler refused to pay Consumer Reports their annual hush-hush money...

IFCAR and other haters can in no way, shape or form tell us that Consumer Reports is "unbiased" after reading this Toyota and Honda advertisement. You'd have to have rocks for brains to actually believe they are...
http://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/behind_the_hype/index.html
Illegal? It's a private organization with a viewpoint. So what if they're in love with one or two brands. Ignore them if it bothers you.

It's the same as if your neighbor put up a sign in his front yard saying how great VW was. That's only his opinion, so what.

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
Report it to local government officials.

LOL... and they will say what exactly?

'Excuse me, are you really complaining about a blog post? Would you like us to shut down the internet or take that website offline?'

LOLOL it's a private group with an opinion. So What!!!! Ignore them. Besides as y'all know they are just preaching to the choir, Toyota and Honda owners who subscribe to CR. No right-thinking Big Three owner would be caught dead reading anything CR wrote ( unless it was praising the Malibu ). It'd be like carrying a purse.

·
Banned
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's just illustrating the fuel cost difference between the lower-mileage Chryslers with a cheap-gas rebate and a more fuel-efficient competitor with no rebate. I expect they chose the cars they did because they were the most fuel-efficient in their respective classes. I don't see where that turns into bias for Toyota, Honda, and Nissan.

And Chrysler doesn't make the smart.
I obviously exposed a very significant act of malice on C/R's part because I got IFCAR's attention early.

Anyway. Back to the topic. IFCAR: is their a reason why C/R didn't slander against Suzuki? After all, their models get the same MPG as the Chrysler models do, and Suzuli is offering the same promotion that Chryaler is offering.
Instead of slandering Suzuki products, the only thing Consumer Reports says on the matter is:
Suzuki has stepped up to offer free gas for the summer along with zero-percent financing.
BTW, since when is the 22MPG Avalon the best in-class? Kia Optima gets 20/28.
The Impala gets like 18/29 with 22 average. Aura 18/29.
Taurus gets 18/28 and Lincoln MKZ 18/28.
Maxima is a bit worse but still 19/25
The Versa averages 28 MPG; the Cobalt averages 29 MPG and is a better car on top of that.
The Rio gets 34 MPG.
For some reason C/R adds the Fit even though it isn't in the same class as the Calibur. It is in the same class as the Mini, however, and the Mini gets 29/37, far above the 33 of the Fit. Why didn't C/R have the Mini in there?
I kept going on and on and on and on and on....

·
Registered
768 Posts
Did anyone even skim the article? It's mostly a crtic of chrysler's free gas deal, and they include Nissan. The author is trying to make a point that in the long run you could save money by buying a different car. Further into the article it also compares diesel trucks from the detroit 3.

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
I obviously exposed a very significant act of malice on C/R's part because I got IFCAR's attention early.

Anyway. Back to the topic. IFCAR: is their a reason why C/R didn't slander against Suzuki? After all, their models get the same MPG as the Chrysler models do, and Suzuli is offering the same promotion that Chryaler is offering.
Instead of slandering Suzuki products, the only thing Consumer Reports says on the matter is:

BTW, since when is the 22MPG Avalon the best in-class? Kia Optima gets 20/28.
The Impala gets like 18/29 with 22 average. Aura 18/29.
Taurus gets 18/28 and Lincoln MKZ 18/28.
Maxima is a bit worse but still 19/25
The Versa averages 28 MPG; the Cobalt averages 29 MPG and is a better car on top of that.
The Rio gets 34 MPG.
For some reason C/R adds the Fit even though it isn't in the same class as the Calibur. It is in the same class as the Mini, however, and the Mini gets 29/37, far above the 33 of the Fit. Why didn't C/R have the Mini in there?
I kept going on and on and on and on and on....
For all whines accuracy is critical.....

Impala 18 / 29 / 22 Combined
Taurus 18 / 28 / 22 Combined
Avalon 19 / 28 / 22 Combined
Maxima 19 / 25 / 21 Combined
Pretty close I'd say.

For Kia the Optima is their midsizer and the Amanti ( 17 / 24 / 20 combined ) is their large auto. The Optima compares, not favorably, to the Sonata, Camry, Malibu, Fusion and Accord.

Carry on.

·
Banned
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Illegal? It's a private organization with a viewpoint. So what if they're in love with one or two brands. Ignore them if it bothers you.

It's the same as if your neighbor put up a sign in his front yard saying how great VW was. That's only his opinion, so what.
Tort law.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
LOL... and they will say what exactly?

'Excuse me, are you really complaining about a blog post? Would you like us to shut down the internet or take that website offline?'

LOLOL it's a private group with an opinion. So What!!!! Ignore them. Besides as y'all know they are just preaching to the choir, Toyota and Honda owners who subscribe to CR. No right-thinking Big Three owner would be caught dead reading anything CR wrote ( unless it was praising the Malibu ). It'd be like carrying a purse.
Thank you!

Did anyone even skim the article? It's mostly a crtic of chrysler's free gas deal, and they include Nissan. The author is trying to make a point that in the long run you could save money by buying a different car. Further into the article it also compares diesel trucks from the detroit 3.
Exactly.

·
Banned
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I know of at least one person here who just skimmed the article without reading it...

Anyway. The article was both a blatant and borderline illegal assault on Chrysler and a glowing advertisement for Honda and Toyota wrapped into one article.
Borderline illegal assault on Chrysler because Suzuki products were not compared and glowing advertisements for Toyota because, as Phish Phood and myself pointed out, there are far more than just Toyota's that are out there in the automotive world. "Why buy all these Chryslers when you can have all these Toyotas" is under-the-table advertising of the highest and most obvious order that even the slowest dullard can see.

All this transcends the fact that the article was published in the first place. We must rhetorically ask ourselves, "Why is C/R publishing this thing?" Rhetorically, because we already know why C/R is publishing this thing, now don't we?

1 - 20 of 137 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.