GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many times have you read the words “the best Vette yet” in a car magazine? Well, you’re about to read them again. It’s no secret that we’re big fans of Chevrolet’s iconic and extremely well-rounded Corvette, as evidenced by the seven straight 10Best trophies it’s earned since 2002. And while we’re loathe to recycle trite headlines, the incredible ZR1 is poised to hit the Corvette out of the ballpark, over the river, and into a whole new borough.

How far into the new borough? Actually, not as far as you might have been led to believe. After months of listening to GM’s claims, we’ve finally strapped our equipment to one and recorded the first ZR1 performance data:

Zero to 60 mph in 3.4 brain-scrambling seconds
Zero to 100 mph in 7.6 seconds
An 11.5-second, 128-mph quarter-mile blast
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...rst_instrumented_test_results_feature?cid=333

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
just awesome! American muscle baby!!

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Those are fast times.......why are those number so familar looking though?

oh yeah GT-R, 3.3 sec 0-60, 11.5 sec 1/4 mi @ 124 mph. ;)

^ had to edit, I had typed 104 mph as trap speed on accident. :eek:

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...rst_instrumented_test_results_feature?cid=333
Zero to 60 mph in 3.4 brain-scrambling seconds
Zero to 100 mph in 7.6 seconds
An 11.5-second, 128-mph quarter-mile blast

oh yeah GT-R, 3.3 sec 0-60, 11.5 sec 1/4 mi @ 104 mph. ;)
Traction gets the GT-R there at the same time due to wonderful launching, but by the time they both make it to the quarter-mile mark, the Corvette is going 24 mph faster than the GT-R! That's insane!

I can't wait until these things show up on "streefire" where the ZR1 will be laying waste to the GT-R in the "three honk highway races" that most amateurs do.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
11.5? I know Z06's that get that time. Hell, I know a very lightly modded C5 FRC that does high 11's.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Traction gets the GT-R there at the same time due to wonderful launching, but by the time they both make it to the quarter-mile mark, the Corvette is going 24 mph faster than the GT-R! That's insane!

I can't wait until these things show up on "streefire" where the ZR1 will be laying waste to the GT-R in the "three honk highway races" that most amateurs do.
Hey, I owe you an apology. I mistyped the trap speed; it is 124 mph at 1/4 mile, not 104! zoikes! Still I agree with you. Initial traction--GT-R wins, but the aerodynamic, more powerful Corvette will go faster as the speeds increase. I wouldn't turn the keys away from either of them! :D

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Hey, I owe you an apology. I mistyped the trap speed; it is 124 mph at 1/4 mile, not 104! zoikes! Still I agree with you. Initial traction--GT-R wins, but the aerodynamic, more powerful Corvette will go faster as the speeds increase. I wouldn't turn the keys away from either of them! :D
me too, but my first stop would the chevy dealership, or cadillac (ctc-v).

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
Not the best times ever for this car I would think although still plenty fast. The 1.07Gs on the skid pad kind of shocked me however the braking didn't. The Z06 has matched pretty much every one of those acceleration specs that C&D has tested for the ZR1 getting a 0-60 in 3.4 seconds, 100 in 7.6 seconds, and 1/4mile in 11.5 @ 127.1MPH.

·
Banned
6,921 Posts
In every competitive field, there’s always one to beat, and among top-shelf sports cars, it often sports a prancing horse on the hood. And yes, Chevrolet benchmarked none other than the $318,045 Ferrari 599GTB Fiorano while honing the ZR1.
A most capable effort at benchmarking.
The Fiorano is sex on wheels.
Well, so is the ZR-1.

·
Registered
804 Posts

^ had to edit, I had typed 104 mph as trap speed on accident. :eek:
Yeah, but doing it in the ZR1 does not have the potential to void your warranty...

http://wot.motortrend.com/6296554/a...ill-it-be-too-late-for-some-buyers/index.html

"...To get the word straight from the horse's mouth, we turned to our source at Nissan who summed up the situation: "Switching VDC off doesn't void the warranty nor does running the Launch Control on the car. However, if someone switches off VDC, enables Launch Control and then breaks something while doing this, we wouldn't pay (under warranty) for the specific parts that break during this action..."

So the car COULD go that fast, if someone were willing to turn off the traction control and risk having the car break itself.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I looked back at the Car and Driver test for the C6 Z06 and they did the quarter in [email protected] Its pretty obvious that the Z06 is a 11 second car and that the ZR1 is actually a 10 second car. Other than them not wanting to "beat on it" I 100% think that this comes down to tires. I don't think usually an 80+ rwhp gain, as we have seen now that a couple of each have been on Dynojet dynos, will only net a .2 sec gain in acceleration. I think a lot of it is that the ZR1 has too much power/torque and not enough traction to be tested like a regular car. 128 mph trap speed is NOT a mid 11 sec car. And btw, that 124 mph trap speed on the GTR is a bit optimistic. Trap speed is ALL about power to weight ratio..simple as that. At 4,000 with a driver and about 420 awhp, 124 trap speeds are a lil high for something that wasn't a special tune car if you know what I mean. Z06s that dyno 448rwhp bone stock all day and weight 600 lbs less and have similar aero doesn't only gain 1 mph over the other....yeah right. I have noticed from a number of mags that the GTR seems to average the high teens in the trap category and THAT my friends should be the reference number.

CHRIS

·
Registered
3,080 Posts

You forgot to mention that Motor Trend got a Z06 to run a 3.5 0-60 and 11.5 quarter at 127 mph.

There's much more potential still in the ZR-1.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
You forgot to mention that Motor Trend got a Z06 to run a 3.5 0-60 and 11.5 quarter at 127 mph.

There's much more potential still in the ZR-1.
I didn't forget to mention that. I simply looked for "Car and Driver" times, actually I didn't have to look further than my down stairs restroom! ;)

Where did you find those times for a Motor Trend tested Z06? This is all I could find: stock Z06 vs Vortech Z06 They show a stock Z06 at 3.8 sec 0-60, and a 1/4 mile 11.7 @ 124.0 mph. Still no slouch.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I didn't forget to mention that. I simply looked for "Car and Driver" times, actually I didn't have to look further than my down stairs restroom! ;)

Where did you find those times for a Motor Trend tested Z06? This is all I could find: stock Z06 vs Vortech Z06 They show a stock Z06 at 3.8 sec 0-60, and a 1/4 mile 11.7 @ 124.0 mph. Still no slouch.
There was a link earlier in the thread that linked to a forum page that showed it. I'll try to find exactly where it is if it comes to that, but I remember reading it from a link in this thread. And I made the point because you did try to mention the GT-R was as fast as the ZR-1, when in reality its not true, because then the Z06 would ALSO be as fast.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts