GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They said it had to have 4 drs, a stick, and cost around 35k....

AND NO CTS TO BE FOUND!! WTF C&D? Do you not want to see the CTS own the 3 series on the track? They did have the Saab 9-3 Arc turbo.

7th- X type
6th- Saab 9-3 (not fun to drive and wrong wheels)
5th- A4 quatro
4th- IS300
3rd- TL
2nd- 325i
1st- G35 sedan

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
All I can think, and far be it from me to make excuses for Crap and Dung, is that they see the CTS in the larger class with the 5-series. Many in the press have. I still see the CTS as a 3-series competitor, mainly due to pricing, although the Caddy is a little larger.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
If the CTS is in the same price range then it should be included. If it gives better performance and quality, it should be stated as such.
This is no different than pitting the vette against the $100,000 + sports cars. It is so blatantly better and so less expensive that the magazines must acknowledge it.

It is larger than the 325i BMW but so what!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just saw the C&D TV coverage of that. The Caddy would have cleaned house.

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
I think I mentioned this in the last thread. The comparison was for manual transmissioned cars within a certain price limit. The only CTS that would have qualified still uses the "old" 220 hp V6.

GM determines if a car is available for these kinds of tests. Given that the old V6 is due to be replaced next year with the new "high feature" V6 with the manual transmission, I doubt GM has such a car in it's press fleet. Even if it did, if I worked for GM Public Relations, I'd probably not let the car participate. Knowing it wouldn't likely win -- and that a more competitive car will be available in September -- I'd rather not compete now. When the new V6/manual is offered, it will get tested and likely will be part of a comparison -- one it will likely do quite well in.

With all the positive press on the CTS-V, why risk a less-than-stellar showing with a car that will be soon upgraded (and tested) anyway?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Originally posted by [Corporal Dan
,Mar 6 2004, 05:14 PM] C/D makes baby jesus cry
:lol: ...Tell UR Dad, Mr. Flanders I said Hi Todd.

Y does any1 here continue 2 read/watch C&D if U know they suck. Just boycott them and maybe the show will go away, don't know much about the magazine though.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Originally posted by Tone@Mar 9 2004, 03:47 PM
I think I mentioned this in the last thread. The comparison was for manual transmissioned cars within a certain price limit. The only CTS that would have qualified still uses the "old" 220 hp V6.

GM determines if a car is available for these kinds of tests. Given that the old V6 is due to be replaced next year with the new "high feature" V6 with the manual transmission, I doubt GM has such a car in it's press fleet. Even if it did, if I worked for GM Public Relations, I'd probably not let the car participate. Knowing it wouldn't likely win -- and that a more competitive car will be available in September -- I'd rather not compete now. When the new V6/manual is offered, it will get tested and likely will be part of a comparison -- one it will likely do quite well in.

With all the positive press on the CTS-V, why risk a less-than-stellar showing with a car that will be soon upgraded (and tested) anyway?
Good point. I recalled that the test was for manuals only, but I 'd forgotten that the new CTS V6 is not mated to a stick yet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts