GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to say that your new avatar is awesome, Ming!

Ghrankenstein

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
:lol:

Glad you like it! I can't take credit for it though - I got it from a site called "Cylon Alliance" http://www.cylon.org/anderson/1999-ships-01.html . I think its from concept art from the upcoming Sci-Fi series. There's a video game coming out as well, so it might be from that.

http://battlestar.ugo.com/games/

Apparently there will be references to old BSG stuff in the new series, like the old robots in museum cases and the like. It's not really a "remake", so much as a "rethinking" of the series, and seems more dark and modern. The hardcore old series fans might be disappointed if they go in expecting a re-do of the 1979 light-hearted toned series.

Fortunately I'm not one of those hard-core folks, and I look forward to it as well. :krider:

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Apparently there will be references to old BSG stuff in the new series, like the old robots in museum cases and the like.
Also sounds like a great cameo opportunity for any of many former cast members; Richard Hatch and Dirk Benedict come to mind first, of course.

It's not really a "remake", so much as a "rethinking" of the series, and seems more dark and modern. The hardcore old series fans might be disappointed if they go in expecting a re-do of the 1979 light-hearted toned series.
I've followed the whole saga of the revival movie, battling copyrights, and such. I was glad to see the project wind up in the hands of the sci-fi channel. I -haven't- followed up since then, since I was pretty happy with the concept art I was already seeing.

I thought the original Battlestars and Cylon Raiders were among the coolest-looking space ships ever.

Fortunately I'm not one of those hard-core folks, and I look forward to it as well
So you won't be too disappointed if magnitudes of stock footage and fuzzy mechanical daggets fall to the wayside?

Ghrankenstein

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Originally posted by Ghrankenstein@Nov 12 2003, 01:26 PM
Also sounds like a great cameo opportunity for any of many former cast members; Richard Hatch and Dirk Benedict come to mind first, of course.

So you won't be too disappointed if magnitudes of stock footage and fuzzy mechanical daggets fall to the wayside?

Ghrankenstein
Richard Hatch and Dirk Benedict supplied voice acting for the BSG game coming to the XBox & Playstation. B)

No more stock footage! :lol: I can only take seeing the same Viper launch sequence so many times...!

I heard that the new miniseries is using CGI Cylons, and is on a tight budget, and that instead of stock footage, we may just see less Cylons and space battles. I'm not sure that I like the idea of the "main" Cylons looking like humans, though. Reminds me too much of the Terminator.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No more stock footage!  I can only take seeing the same Viper launch sequence so many times...!
Yeah, Battlestar Galactica might have topped Black Sheep Squadron when it came to stock footage content, putting perilously close to Teletubbies territory.

I heard that the new miniseries is using CGI Cylons, and is on a tight budget, and that instead of stock footage, we may just see less Cylons and space battles. I'm not sure that I like the idea of the "main" Cylons looking like humans, though. Reminds me too much of the Terminator.
This isn't right. Geek-level truth aside, Cylons are ROBOTS. Cylons looking like humans MUST GO DOWN THE STAIRS.

Ghrankenstein

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Originally posted by Ghrankenstein@Dec 23 2003, 09:29 PM
How was it?  (I don't have cable.)

Ghrank
It was good. After almost a year of promoting the show on Sci-Fi, however, it was a let down at only 4 hours or so total (with commercials).

The main problem I felt was it was rather depressing (what isn't depressing about 13 colony worlds getting wiped out by Cylons) and all of the characters had flaws. One of the characters I came to identify with most turned out to be a dead end... There was very little "Han Solo" type comedy as provided by Starbuck in the old series.

Another gripe is the relative lack of Cylons shown, and the use of "human cylons" ala the Terminator. Cool in concept, but kinda cheap in execution.

On the other hand, there were a lot of neat little "Easter Eggs" you have to be fast to catch that are tributes to the old show - things I might have missed if I hadn't been watching the old series boxed set. Little details about ships, music playing in the background and the like. They did their homework.

A lot of cool space battles done in a way I'd never seen before. Space is quiet, camera angles and pans are like a home video -- lots of neat camera and sound work.

One odd thing (goof) was Adama saying "Jesus" at one point when frustrated. By the Lords of Kobol, that's just not right! :)

It should be out on DVD in a few months, probably bursting with extras. Worth buying at 19 bucks, I'd say. Especially if it becomes a series, which was the hope of the director/producer.

I can't help but think they will continue it in some fashion - it just ends on too much of a cliffhanger. Maybe Sci-Fi can skip 2 cheesy sci-fi original saturday night flicks to fund another "episode".

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I'm glad to hear that it was at least good. Tell me, though, about the ships. Did the ships look completely different or bear a resemblance?

I can't help but think they will continue it in some fashion - it just ends on too much of a cliffhanger. Maybe Sci-Fi can skip 2 cheesy sci-fi original saturday night flicks to fund another "episode".
I would like to see BG continue as well. Let's just hope it isn't followed up by Galactica 1980 2004. :p

Ghrankenstein

1 - 10 of 10 Posts