GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After going back and forth for a long time, I've pretty much decided our next '2nd' car is going to be an EV. We have a new Buick Envision we bought earlier this year. That will be our primary household vehicle and will be taken on all trips. Our '2nd' car doesn't get driven too many miles anymore, why I decided to get the 'ev' experience. Our Kia Soul is getting up there in miles and it is getting close to time for a replacement.

However, shopping hasn't gone well with local Chevy Dealerships.

Our first choices are the Bolt and the Bolt EUV. 2nd Choice is the Kona Electric and Third choice is the Tesla Y.

-There is a LONG wait for the Tesla Y now, when I drove one the ride was harsh/rough, and its the most expensive.
-Kona is 2nd choice simply because I don't like the interior layout quite as much as the Bolt, and inside it seems a tad smaller than the bolt with less visibility.

Now I know the Bolt isn't getting produced now..and if we wait long enough there MIGHT be a big federal tax credit on it. Thats ok. I'm patient. I don't want to wait 6-8 months for the Tesla, but we can wait 2-3 months for a Bolt if that is what it takes. Here is the problem....

-I contacted the Chevy dealership we bought from the most in the past via email about the Bolt. No reply. I contacted them again. No reply again. I called them, spoke to the person who takes the calls, she took my info and said she would have someone call me back. Its been 2 weeks, no one ever replied.
Now here is the interesting part. I used a different email and contacted the same dealership asking about a Blazer. They got back to me the same day, saying there are none in stock but wanting to know if I wanted to come in anyway and they would show me pricing options and let me know as soon as they get one in.

-So, contact this dealership about a Bolt and no one gets back to you. Via phone, via email. Nothing. I understand there is a hold on the cars, but they didn't even respond saying that, just ignored the request. Ask about a Blazer, and an immediate response.

-I decided to contact (email through the contact form on their websites) 3 other area dealerships (all farther away). One DID get back to me and had someone both email me and text me, saying I could come in, look at the ones they have in stock that can't be sold, sit in them (but not drive them) and then if I wanted it put a deposit down on it for when they get the go-ahead to sell.
-The other 2 I contacted...no response at all from one of them....and an email from the other basically saying they don't have any information on when they will have them to sell and not offering anything else to me as a potential customer.

I know dealerships are short-staffed, but I also know they aren't doing much new car business now. If Chevy/GM has their dealerships responding to every request for a Blazer, but 2 out of 4 dealerships total ignore requests on a Bolt and a 3rd one just sends a 'form' email response, then that might be the thing to push us to the Kona or the Tesla.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The salesman I had for my Bolt was FANTASTIC. I am sorry to hear of your issues.
Thanks. I'm sure some of the Salesmen are great, its just my only contact with the dealerships has been through email contact forms so far (or direct email) and they just don't seem to want to reply.

·
Premium Member
36,287 Posts
I've done a lot of car shopping and buying/leasing over the decades. Most salesmen are a-holes, many are also dopes. A few have been intelligent, squared-away professionals. Usually older guys. One of the best was the fleet guy at the dealership.

Try dropping into a dealership. Or call the sales manager and ask for a referral.

Car sales is a never-never land. Good freakin luck out there.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt Premier
1,252 Posts
Thanks. I'm sure some of the Salesmen are great, its just my only contact with the dealerships has been through email contact forms so far (or direct email) and they just don't seem to want to reply.
Would you be able to stop in and talk to someone? Email is my preferred contact method but some places are old school yet.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
4,104 Posts
mjd1001, would you consider purchasing a vehicle from a dealership outside your home region and having it shipped to your home? That's what my wife and I did for our 2015 Chevrolet Spark EV - we live in northern Mississippi and purchased the car online from a Chevy dealer in Maryland.

·
Registered
21,318 Posts
I can imagine Chevy Salesmen are rather dejected right now, no cars to sell and then they get a call from a guy about a car they have, but can't sell..............

On a related note; on the way to my aunt's house yesturday, I drove past the Warren Tech Center, the new multi-level parking garage was completely FULL of new Bolts.

Reactions: gkr778

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mjd1001, would you consider purchasing a vehicle from a dealership outside your home region and having it shipped to your home? That's what my wife and I did for our 2015 Chevrolet Spark EV - we live in northern Mississippi and purchased the car online from a Chevy dealer in Maryland.
I'd consider it, but not at this point.
We have 2 cars now, both run well, we are just looking to replace the Soul because it is getting higher in miles....but it still runs well. Its more something I 'want' to do just to 'try out' the EV experience. So, for now we'll sit tight and wait (esp since there may be a big tax rebate/credit coming on the Bolt).....it is just a little disappointing the lack of response to trying to contact dealerships in the area.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
13,447 Posts
I'd consider it, but not at this point.
We have 2 cars now, both run well, we are just looking to replace the Soul because it is getting higher in miles....but it still runs well. Its more something I 'want' to do just to 'try out' the EV experience. So, for now we'll sit tight and wait (esp since there may be a big tax rebate/credit coming on the Bolt).....it is just a little disappointing the lack of response to trying to contact dealerships in the area.
Thing is too, that if you went and got a used one :unsure: you'd pay the price and have to endure the process of getting the fixes done if needed although I think if these vehicles are used properly there is no real issue with them.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. On one hand I generally can’t say I am surprised.

It is truly rough vehicle shopping the past 9 months or so. Pay mark ups over sticker to get what is available ’now’ at most dealers. You might get lucky and find an honest one with no cars but selling at MSRP. Go to an honest one and order at MSRP (or at least a limited markup over).

This is what I experienced when looking for a new Yukon. Finally settled on ordering from the small town dealer at MSRP vs. going back to the ‘big guy’ and paying over MSRP by 5 grand.

Is waiting months to get the units ahead of yours allocated fun? Nope. Will mine come to my specific specifications at a fair price? Yup and like you I have reliable vehicles so I will wait.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1958carnut

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
13,447 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. On one hand I generally can’t say I am surprised.

It is truly rough vehicle shopping the past 9 months or so. Pay mark ups over sticker to get what is available ’now’ at most dealers. You might get lucky and find an honest one with no cars but selling at MSRP. Go to an honest one and order at MSRP (or at least a limited markup over).

This is what I experienced when looking for a new Yukon. Finally settled on ordering from the small town dealer at MSRP vs. going back to the ‘big guy’ and paying over MSRP by 5 grand.

Is waiting months to get the units ahead of yours allocated fun? Nope. Will mine come to my specific specifications at a fair price? Yup and like you I have reliable vehicles so I will wait.

Good luck.
I have a brother going through the same thing. I was with his family for Thanksgiving and we were in on his computer looking at something concerning a relative of ours. He brought up the Ram/Dodge tracking site. He's got a pickup on order since July and still one of two on the site that have yet to advance to a certain point to be next in line to finally get the thing (or something to that effect). The wait and such limbo must be excruciating to a degree.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I'm fortunate as the over-enthusiastic auto enthusiast in me always owns more cars than I actually need. My three newest cars('16,'17 & '18) are all just under 20K miles. IF I never purchased another new car again I'd probably get by.

However, I do want a CT4-V Blackwing stick next when/if the market normalizes. Or maybe I'll finally get practical and buy a RCSB Silvy and add a plow. Or.... just maybe, someone offers a COOL affordable EV that I actually want to own. Gotta admit, a $12,500 Gov't EV "incentive" would be difficult to ignore. We all have to PAY for it anyway!! Perhaps another "FREE" lease would make the most sense while keeping my existing collectable V8's?

·
Registered
21,318 Posts

Good luck.
WOW - MSRP, you got a deal! (sarcasm)

Question, does your current ride have heated/cooled seat and/or heated steering wheel.
- If you find out any of these option, you thought your truck was going to have doesn't; do you still buy it?

On Thanksgiving, my cousin shared with me, he had recently ordered a Blazer for his wife, I explained to him the current heated/cooled seat, heated steering wheel 'debacle' and the comment out of his wife was; "Oh-HELL No!'
He gave me a look something like this.............. 🥴

·
Registered
387 Posts
WOW - MSRP, you got a deal! (sarcasm)

Question, does your current ride have heated/cooled seat and/or heated steering wheel.
- If you find out any of these option, you thought your truck was going to have doesn't; do you still buy it?

On Thanksgiving, my cousin shared with me, he had recently ordered a Blazer for his wife, I explained to him the current heated/cooled seat, heated steering wheel 'debacle' and the comment out of his wife was; "Oh-HELL No!'
He gave me a look something like this.............. 🥴
Current one is a 2018 4WD SLE… So no on the heated seats, vented seats or steering wheel. Currently spec’d is a base SLT with Max Trailer package. This new one only has heated/cooled seats. Didn’t pop for the luxury package that adds the heated steering wheel.

As of right now, I should have no deletions except for the start/stop, (thankfully) four way power lumbar (goes to two way, no biggie) and no steering wheel lock (no biggie). Mercifully for me the impact to the full-size SUVs was heated steering wheel only. Now, I am assuming nothing else goes to hell. So I am really not all that impacted.

If stuff went to hell, as long as the features (heated/cooled seats) had the components installed and just not the chips and I got a 50 dollar credit… Provided the dealer would install the chip as they are doing today, I would sure keep my order and accept delivery.

I talked about doing an SLT after my first zero optioned 2015 4WD SLE. (Sticker was right at 51K) The current unit I got into basically had all options an SLE could have except for the safety package. (57K sticker) It got me things like Apple CarPlay added for 2016, remote garage door openers, power hatch, 20s, low range 4WD, trailer brake controller etc. The price and color were right so to get leather seats that were heated/cooled it didn’t seem worth it to me for an SLT. I thought about it but wasn’t gonna fork over 5K more.

Fast forward to today… GM got umm greedy or smart decided a base Yukon shouldn’t have the Bose speakers (which I appreciate) or the ability to add a power hatch/garage door openers so I had a decision to make. Make do with less but have a slightly higher sticker to get the improvements (10 speed, larger interior, IRS etc.) and lose features or ‘go big’ to do the SLT route. My SLE builds without the features from my 2018 were ending up about 58K-59K. (Which included 20s, safety package and Max Trailer) I decided not to have less features, improved resale value and spend the extra 4,500 for the SLT which is truly a space and feature upgrade. My logic was 59K is so close to 60K might as well do 63,660 and get what I want.

BTW all Yukons only had a 400 dollar price increase from 2021 with standard Google infotainment with navigation so it really was a wash. Since I ordered GM hiked the price up 500 more but my dealer said I have ‘price protection’ and need not worry.

So that is the story on that. Regarding MSRP being a deal it is around me. Several dealers are doing 5K over sticker and even sticking it on factory orders. I do have a realistic number for my trade which is what I paid for it over 3 years ago… On this deal they either over allowed on trade by 2K or gave me 2K off of the new one. Either way they are beating the CarMax offer even when you consider 2K off the new one. I had another low ball trade to 2K less than what I paid 3 years ago. So I think on price at least in my area I am doing as well as you can.

But I agree it is crazy… If didn’t have a late model, good condition low mileage trade this might not have been possible. Counting on actually making a couple grand on my current Canyon when I do the pending full-size 2022 MCE Sierra Denali upgrade. (As I always say it will be the least expensive 4WD, SWB, 5.3L Denali you can get)

Reactions: Ed753

·
Registered
387 Posts
My nephew was looking to buy a '22 Black Honda Pilot through Costco.

The Costco affiliated dealer offered him a '21 Dark Gray Honda Pilot EX-L front wheel drive for $3k below MSRP.

I told him today's market that was a steal. He bought it.
At a Honda dealer that was a steal. I bet he could sell it and make at least a few grand. Well bought…

1 - 16 of 16 Posts