GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a purely hypothetical scenario, but one I'm not really all that averse too anymore (as I'm sick and tired of living at home and just want to get the hell out of the house!)

There's this '92 Buick Park Avenue in beautiful shape (save for a small rust spot and ding at the back).....the price is very reasonable too, in fact if my tax return + stimulus check got here by next weekend (next time im going back home), I could go score it right then & there....

Only thing is, it's got 335,289mi (539.130km) on it (which then explains the super cheap price). I know major expenses loom on the horizon for whoever buys it, but what I was wondering is, assuming the car had been well maintained, what would be the first major part of consequence that would need to be replaced, and how much would said part run?? :confused:

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
I feel that way everytime I buy something approaching 90k miles.

Before I bought my Park Avenue for $1500...& at 137K miles...I was prepared to shell out yet another $1500 minimal to get it ready for a long term & reliable driver...I've spent actually $1600 now....which means I'm upside down in the car, IMO...as it still needs a few things to be @ 100%...

I also bought an old parts truck from the dealership here back in 1996, 308k miles on a 1987 GMC S15, 2.8 60* TBI V6, 700R4...which blew an engine @ 210K miles and a trans @ 245K....

I bought it for $500 and drove it for almost 5 years putting the odo to 365K miles...

I sold it for $700, and about 3 months later the guy I sold it to got drunk and wrapped it around a bridge abutment @ 70MPH...

We've had some older GM trade ins sitting in our "pumpkin patch"....our sales dept will get more phone traffic on those old roaches than on the front line stock we have!

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Obscene mileage...Would that be 69000 miles?

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
It depends on what has been replaced so far. Take my '89 Reatta with a similar powertrain...I didn't have to open up the trans/engine with 172k miles but I've done pretty much all the sensors, ECM, dash cluster (digital), ball joints, struts, tie rod ends, fuel pump, alternator, power steering pump...I'd see if there are any service records or parts that were obviously replaced.

When I sold my Explorer with 169k miles I had virtually replaced everything at that point. With a rust free body it was good to go for a few years at least but gas mileage was killing me. The buyer of that thing got a heck of a deal with all the time/money I had put into it to get it to the point where nothing needs or could use replacement.

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
The timing chain, find out if the chain has ever been replaced, if not, watch out. Find out if the motor has ever been apart or if thats even the original motor. If the body has 300K but it has a 70K 3800 out of a junkyard car, it might not be as bad as it seems.

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
I really wanted a 97 V6 3800 Series 2 Camaro for 3 grand about 2 weeks ago.

It had 211,000 US Miles.

I didn't buy it.

3800 is a good motor.

Doesn't matter, too many miles and cannot risk those huge fix payments.

End of my story.

CobaltSS

·
Banned
17,572 Posts

·
Banned
17,572 Posts

·
Registered
18,488 Posts

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
For $875 or less? I'd hit it. 3800s don't typically use timing chains though with that many miles I'd look into it. It isn't that bad to do.

Mine was still in great shape at 168k

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
For $875 or less? I'd hit it. 3800s don't typically use timing chains though with that many miles I'd look into it. It isn't that bad to do.

Mine was still in great shape at 168k

A few have...the pre-3800 FWD Buick V6's did a bit though...

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
From what data I could dig up, that '92 Park Ave was equipped with the Series I L27 N/A

So I'm betting that it doesn't use a timing chain. With that powertrain being in such widespread use........I wouldn't think that repairs/replacements would be that expensive. If anything, I'd think stuff like the electronics, suspension and what not would be the more expensive problems.

How it ended up in a used car lot in some dinky Iowa town with that many miles on it though.....that's a true Unsolved Mystery.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
From what data I could dig up, that '92 Park Ave was equipped with the Series I L27 N/A

So I'm betting that it doesn't use a timing chain. With that powertrain being in such widespread use........I wouldn't think that repairs/replacements would be that expensive. If anything, I'd think stuff like the electronics, suspension and what not would be the more expensive problems.

How it ended up in a used car lot in some dinky Iowa town with that many miles on it though.....that's a true Unsolved Mystery.

It has a timing chain...trust me on that...:yup:

It has an all metal cam gear, something the pre-3800's didn't have...

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
Of course it has a timing chain, but it isn't very long. Typically the overhead cam engines have a longer chain setup and after time it stretches and should be changed since the timing gets retarded (but Mercedes just gives you offset keys to "rotate" the sprocket)

You shouldn't have any issues but if you want to know take off the waterpump and timing cover and give it a look, if the chain is flopping around then replace ;)

Easy to get to such mileages... just drive a lot ;) Maybe a travelling salesman or something like this.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Easy to get to such mileages... just drive a lot ;) Maybe a travelling salesman or something like this.
Yeah......with me, it would be a primarily point A-point B kinda ride.....from home to work and various points around town. The farthest I'd go is probably Westerville/Broken Bow (230mi away) where I have family......that would probably justify a thorough tuneup, but other than that.......just regular maintenance would keep it running I would think.

Maybe I'll be crazy enough to keep it for the next 35-40yrs.....and by the time I crack 1,000,000 miles, Rick will be handing me the keys to a new Buick of my choice ;)

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Every vehicle has an Aura, if it has been well cared for mileage is little concern for me.

I sold a 500,000km GMT 400 in 2001, the customer added a snow plow and a fifth wheel hitch to tow his camper. He is still driving it today.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Like Sonoma said, they do have timing chains. I know, I've been there

1 - 20 of 45 Posts