GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After watching and helping my parents get a buy back on their Silverado I really learned a lot about it. I learned that dealers (GM anyway) do not help at all! When you go in and talk to the general manger of the dealership he/she will say that they back you and hand you a one eight hundred number to call, or at least that is what happen to them and our family has bought six cars off of that dealership in the past year! If anyone is ever needing advise, help or other with a buy back I would be very glad to help, it’s a long process, but if you play your cards right you can come out ahead. Below are some steps and tips to follow and consider during a buy back.

First: Try going to your dealer and talk to the president of the dealership and see what he/she can do. If they can’t do anything then call the company’s complaint area and file a complaint. TIP: THE MORE CORRESPONDANCE YOU HAVE WITH THE COMPANY REGARDING THE PROBLEM THE BETTER YOU ARE OFF. Over the phone they will offer you something, NEVER ACCEPT THE FIRST OFFER! Or they will send you a letter, I they do wait on the worthless letter. That letter will simply say that you need to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. So go the BBB’s website and file a complaint.

Sometime after that you will get calls from both the BBB and the company. Eventually you will get a call from the company making you an offer. If you don’t like the offer than just stay cool and tell them you need to think about it. They then give you a time frame when that offer expires (usually three days). Try to find a lawyer in that time and hire him! When it gets this far a lawyer is a MUST! Instead of you calling the company back regarding the offer, have the lawyer do it with you there. Make sure your lawyer has ALL YOUR RECORDS (service orders, oil receipts, etc) and let them chit-chat a while.

The guy from the company that your lawyer is talking to will then say he needs to “reevaluate the file”, whatever. TIP: TO REALLY SCARE THE COMPANY, THREATEN TO FILE IT WITH YOUR STATE ATTORNEY GENERAL. The company doesn’t want you to do that because the if the state gets very many complaints similar to yours they make the company do a national recall.

After that they will make you a fairly reasonable offer, my advice: if you like it accept it. Because after the second offer the company starts to get testy. Okay, if you accept it and it is a buy back it will take a while. First you go pick out a replacement vehicle (if replacement) make your dealer get it and then it takes about another three weeks.

When it all comes down be sure there are no hidden costs.! If there is make you lawyer call your business repersenative at the company and make him get rude about it. Trust me: it seems like a never ending fight, but if you do it all right you can come out alright! NUMBER 1 RULE: DO NOT BE NICE TO THE DEALER OR THE COMPANY, or you can kiss a buy back good bye!

If anyone wants more tips and/or advise here is how you may contact me:

E-Mail: [email protected]

AOL Instant Messanger: n2004sap

MSN Messanger: [email protected]

·
Registered
27 Posts
A sad, yet not suprising tale of how the biggest of the big three treat their customers if it will cost the company some $$. Appalling. Such dealings should rightly drive a GM owner to another brand, any other. One that truly values the consumer who spends hard earned dollars for their products.

How much does dimished market share cost in terms of lower stock value? How much more costly is it to rebuild market share from conquest sales verses maintaining and cultivating a loyal repeat customer base, from whom scores of referal sales result that cost nearly nothing to generate. One of the bedrock principles of business 101 is that it is exponentially less costly to build on an existing happy customer base than to attract, convince and sell to a new customer.

That, I guess is just too logical for the brain trust at Generous Motors. "If we screw up, just be sure the customer pays!"

I have been buying GM since the mid 70's. I've been a lab rat for them on several new car purchases. I know first hand how disrepectful of their customers they can be. One would think that after the trouncing Detroit has received at the hands of the Japanese, they'd have learned. I hope there are some at GM with their ear to the ground, reading blogs like GMI, and doing something with what they find out. Doubless many will leave the brand for good. The **** are building the big trucks now too. Look out!

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by ponchoman49@Feb 9 2004, 08:10 PM
Believe me it isn't just GM who screws the customer. Iv'e heard of some horror stories with Ford and Chrysler too.
Oh, I know! I have also heard stories about BMW..

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
No manufacturer is perfect. That's why they all dealerships have a staff of mechanics. They aren't just there for oil changes.

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Rex Raider@Feb 9 2004, 08:34 PM
No manufacturer is perfect. That's why they all dealerships have a staff of mechanics. They aren't just there for oil changes.
Yes, but when that wonderful staff cannot fix a problem, then it is time to take action. :)

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Originally posted by ponchoman49@Feb 9 2004, 09:10 PM
Believe me it isn't just GM who screws the customer. Iv'e heard of some horror stories with Ford and Chrysler too.
I've heard some pretty bad things about how Honda treats their customers when there is a problem. And let's not forget how Toyota/Lexus blamed their customers with their engine sludge issues.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Unfortunately, any problem that turns into a buy-back is a bad situation for the customer. And is most often a problem for the dealer as well. The dealer is forced to try and satisfy the customer as well as meet the requirements of the manufacturer. And in some instances, when the dealer has not followed the manufacturer's guidelines or attempted repairs when the vehicle was operating as designed, the manufacturer names the dealer in the suit as well. I have handled numerous buy-backs and am glad to say that I have been able to retain most of the customers. The dealer gets the bad rap mainly due to the fact that he does not keep the customer informed. For example, they simply tell the customer to call the 800 number. For this, the dealer is perceived as not willing to help. In reality, nothing can get started until the customer opens a case. Yes, it is all bureacracy, but there are steps that need to be taken and that call is the first one. After that, the dealer's role is pretty minimal: supply all the details and let the lawyers settle things. This usually takes more time than the customer wants, but lets face it we are not talking about making an exchange at a department store. The manufacturer makes a commitment to the customer to make every attempt to repair the customer's vehicle under the terms of the warranty, even an unhappy customer must realize that the manufacturer is not going to refund the customer's money or exchange the vehicle without an investigation. And unfortunately that investigation process takes time...sometimes too much time...but in most cases the customer who simply lets the process proceed without screaming and fighting gets the process completed in the most timely manner. What it all boils down to is that the manufacturer wants to retain a customer, and the dealer wants to retain a customer; and in a lot of cases the manufacturer buys back vehicles that should not be repurchased. These cases bog down the system and the customers with real problems get held up and delayed.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Originally posted by nsap+Feb 9 2004, 09:18 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (nsap @ Feb 9 2004, 09:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ponchoman49@Feb 9 2004, 08:10 PM
Oh, I know! I have also heard stories about BMW.. [/b][/quote]
And Mazda

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
what kinda problems qualify for a buy-back, or does that depend on each situation and each manufacturer? i always assumed that if the car was under warranty then problems would be fixed and if it was out of warranty you were out of luck. i remember hearing that nissan bought back 10,000+ vans (i don't think north american ones) years ago because there were so many problems with the engines, and more recently i've heard of GM tuck buy-backs due to 'piston slap'. i'm just curious to know where that fine line between "buyer beware" and "manufacturer responsibility" lies.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Originally posted by nsap@Feb 8 2004, 03:24 AM
After watching and helping my parents get a buy back on their Silverado I really learned a lot about it. I learned that dealers (GM anyway) do not help at all! When you go in and talk to the general manger of the dealership he/she will say that they back you and hand you a one eight hundred number to call, or at least that is what happen to them and our family has bought six cars off of that dealership in the past year! If anyone is ever needing advise, help or other with a buy back I would be very glad to help, it’s a long process, but if you play your cards right you can come out ahead. Below are some steps and tips to follow and consider during a buy back.

First: Try going to your dealer and talk to the president of the dealership and see what he/she can do. If they can’t do anything then call the company’s complaint area and file a complaint. TIP: THE MORE CORRESPONDANCE YOU HAVE WITH THE COMPANY REGARDING THE PROBLEM THE BETTER YOU ARE OFF. Over the phone they will offer you something, NEVER ACCEPT THE FIRST OFFER! Or they will send you a letter, I they do wait on the worthless letter. That letter will simply say that you need to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. So go the BBB’s website and file a complaint.

Sometime after that you will get calls from both the BBB and the company. Eventually you will get a call from the company making you an offer. If you don’t like the offer than just stay cool and tell them you need to think about it. They then give you a time frame when that offer expires (usually three days). Try to find a lawyer in that time and hire him! When it gets this far a lawyer is a MUST! Instead of you calling the company back regarding the offer, have the lawyer do it with you there. Make sure your lawyer has ALL YOUR RECORDS (service orders, oil receipts, etc) and let them chit-chat a while.

The guy from the company that your lawyer is talking to will then say he needs to “reevaluate the file”, whatever. TIP: TO REALLY SCARE THE COMPANY, THREATEN TO FILE IT WITH YOUR STATE ATTORNEY GENERAL. The company doesn’t want you to do that because the if the state gets very many complaints similar to yours they make the company do a national recall.

After that they will make you a fairly reasonable offer, my advice: if you like it accept it. Because after the second offer the company starts to get testy. Okay, if you accept it and it is a buy back it will take a while. First you go pick out a replacement vehicle (if replacement) make your dealer get it and then it takes about another three weeks.

When it all comes down be sure there are no hidden costs.! If there is make you lawyer call your business repersenative at the company and make him get rude about it. Trust me: it seems like a never ending fight, but if you do it all right you can come out alright! NUMBER 1 RULE: DO NOT BE NICE TO THE DEALER OR THE COMPANY, or you can kiss a buy back good bye!

If anyone wants more tips and/or advise here is how you may contact me:

E-Mail: [email protected]

AOL Instant Messanger: n2004sap

MSN Messanger: [email protected]
this information is not accurate i have beenin the service side "GM" for 25 plus years
and this does not happen, what are you selling , get your facts . :woot2:

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by jwachevy@Aug 3 2004, 08:19 PM

this information is not accurate i have beenin the service side "GM" for 25 plus years
and this does not happen, what are you selling , get your facts . :woot2:
Okay, you tell me what information is not accurate. I did not make any of this up. ;)

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
I have had plenty of problems with my Honda Accord getting fixed multiple times for the same problem and now since it is way out of warranty (107,000miles) the dealer wants me to pay for the fix even though it never stayed fixed for more than a few days at a time. I called Honda corporate but they refused a buyback and that was over a year ago. Now that the car is 4 years old with high miles I doubt I will ever get satisfaction except when I buy my G6 coupe in 2005 or 2006.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
NUMBER 1 RULE: DO NOT BE NICE TO THE DEALER OR THE COMPANY,
Sorry nsap that may be where your problem was. The dealer's only part of the equation is he wants to fix your problem either by working on it or getting GM to replace it.

The dealer is the 1 that tell GM if your complaint is legitamate or not. Wether you are a whiner or have a real problem. The dealer (if he is smart) doesn't want you going to coffee or family functions saying that "sob at 123 motor's". For that fact GM does not wish this either.

Anyways I have seeen numerous buybacks and if your complaint is forreal and it cannot be fixed GM is receptive to buybacks. Usually at $.0x\km plus any model year increases.

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by doh@Aug 4 2004, 02:12 PM
NUMBER 1 RULE: DO NOT BE NICE TO THE DEALER OR THE COMPANY,
Sorry nsap that may be where your problem was. The dealer's only part of the equation is he wants to fix your problem either by working on it or getting GM to replace it.

The dealer is the 1 that tell GM if your complaint is legitamate or not. Wether you are a whiner or have a real problem. The dealer (if he is smart) doesn't want you going to coffee or family functions saying that "sob at 123 motor's". For that fact GM does not wish this either.

Anyways I have seeen numerous buybacks and if your complaint is forreal and it cannot be fixed GM is receptive to buybacks. Usually at $.0x\km plus any model year increases.
You obviously have never dealt with our local dealer ;) We were VERY nice for the first year, and all GM and the dealer did was prolong everything.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Some good info.

But please take the time to type properly.

This lack of proper sentence structure and punctuation disturbs me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts