GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buried Alive

While I too share the enthusiasm of the new Cadillac’s I have experienced a horrible reality setting in. Should you drive a late model Cadillac? You’ll be severely hindered attempting to acquire a new generation Cadillac. Now before someone goes off half ****ed read the rest!

I have a 1999 Seville STS with 64K, white diamond sunroof, new Michelin hydro edge tires, free maintenance from Cad and a 100k warranty...etc. Considering I am so anal retentive I can open a can of coke with my butt (kidding) it is mighty clean.
When I went too trade it on a SRX the trade value was shocking. A Cadillac Dealer in Brentwood Tennessee would allow $11,900.00 for the car.

Here's my point.....The salesman the Manager and Used Car guy all said collectively the car’s a stone. They don't want a 98-04 Seville’s on the lot. Total loser!
Wait a minute…. aren't there allot of folks out on the road driving those losers? Wasn’t that your flagship car? I mean isn’t it now? There still is a 2004 Seville.
Cadillac Dealer representatives share a collective feeling that the new Cadillac CTS, SRX, XLR forthcoming ’05 STS, Escalades etc. are what the “new” Cadillac is about.
Well isn't that special.
Completely abandon the historic cycle of trading cars within Cadillac, by loyal Cadillac owners. Tell them they have cars that have seen a better day then send the owners on there way. What would you do in this situation? Call around I did. The Dealers in Murfreesboro Tennessee, Birmingham Alabama and Colma California all shared the same sentiment.

My STS is an awesome car although I had to fight the Dealer here in Nashville to take off the used defective tires he put on the car, that's another story and one every STS owner needs too know about.
It is a tragedy that “ Breakthrough “ for long time loyal Cadillac owners means the resale value of traditional Cadillac's has reached a new low....
It’s below the ground, buried alive.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Man that sucks. Unfortunately, that's happened before and it'll happen again. When designs change drastically, the "saleability" at a dealership does also <_<

It's too bad, really. It doesn't in any way mean the car is less enjoyable to drive or luxurious in Caddy's case, but the truth is they will be harder to move against a totally new angle. Now of course dealers try to nickel-and-dime, so this is multiplied ten-fold. Personally I think you'll get A LOT more if you sell it privately than trading it in.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Markform's suggestions are all great. I was pretty shocked at the trade-in value myself, but after checking KBB online, their offer was pretty much right-on, especially considering the demand of the XLR. Telling you "it's a stone" probably wasn't the best approach, because there is definite appeal in being able to purchase a used STS for $16,000 (based on their offer, and a typical "premium" used list-margin), and generally being able to get it financed.

Good luck!

Ghrankenstein

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
the resale value of traditional Cadillac's has reached a new low....
Some legends never die.

Some chassis can't stay buried.

COMING TO THEATERS

Night of the Driving Dead

a Brandon Farthing picture

starring:

Casket Demon as the infallible hero...

Ming as his mysterious long-lost brother...

TAFreak as the girl whose car breaks down by the junkyard, and who you can never quite figure out is Casket Demon's sister or girlfriend...

TaHoe as the guy who helps them board up the house...

special appearance by Ghrankenstein, as the guy at the bus station that apparently has torrette's.

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Originally posted by Ghrankenstein@Oct 31 2003, 10:14 PM
Some legends never die.

COMING TO THEATERS

starring:

TAFreak as the girl whose car breaks down by the junkyard, and who you can never quite figure out is Casket Demon's sister or girlfriend...

special appearance by Ghrankenstein, as the guy at the bus station that apparently has torrette's.
I love that guy...lol :lol:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think my point got shot completely over the target.The Dealer here in Nashville Crest is right out of the pages of Boss Hawg.Most natives will avoid the place for fear of being skinned alive. They put used defectives tires on the car to begin with!

However the rush to newer CTS/ Sigma based cars is a mixed blessing. I drove an SRX recently and it was very disaapointing.Terrible visibility and the interior is very cramped. Should the new Seville share any of the CTS/SRX traits the reminiscing for the 98 to 2003 series will begin.

Thanks for the replies....just never thought the Cadillac would tank worse than an Infiniti.

I still have no idea what demand for the XLR has to do with previous models.In this town people have backed out of deposits after having seen the car.

Though may have to do with dealer markup approaching 10 grand

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
I think my point got shot completely over the target.
These goofballs that keep posting zany emails just keep ruining it for the other 11 guys, huh?

I still have no idea what demand for the XLR has to do with previous models.In this town people have backed out of deposits after having seen the car.

Demand for the XLR probably only affects similar vehicles that might get traded in on it, partly because XLR dealers -can- hold a bit on them, and partly because of a sudden greater supply, say, of Lexus and M-B convertibles.

My main reason for posting, though, was to address the issue of dealer markups and backers-out of deposits. The selling price is almost always locked in (always, discounting snafus such as the 2003 Dodge Viper) when the deposit is left. If they're backing out, it's for some other reason.

Ghrankenstein

·
Registered
44,258 Posts
Originally posted by 1999seville@Nov 2 2003, 02:42 PM

However the rush to newer CTS/ Sigma based cars is a mixed blessing. I drove an SRX recently and it was very disaapointing.Terrible visibility and the interior is very cramped. Should the new Seville share any of the CTS/SRX traits the reminiscing for the 98 to 2003 series will begin.

Thanks for the replies....just never thought the Cadillac would tank worse than an Infiniti.

Not quite sure what you're expecting from a Cadillac. If you're expecting something "spacious" like the 80's Feetwood land yachts or stylish yet big like the current DTS or former STS's of the mid-90's.

It is already quite obvious to the rest of the world that the Cadillacs that were being sold for the past 10 years were non-competitive to the luxury brands coming from japan and germany (and to some extent, the UK).

As Cadillac progresses with their renaissance, it will be quite inevitable that they will begin to alienate a lot of their clientele. Not quite sure what town you're in, but this new generation of Cadillacs will do extremely well in the SF Bay Area, LA, Miami, and New York -- places where luxury cars go to breed (literally). Where name brand is everything, horsepower rating is everything, speed and style are second to none.
Think the SRX is cramped? Sit in an RX330. And it's an SUV-ish type vehicle. Visibility is bound to be a little hindered.

As for the dealer markups, I wouldn't be surprised if XLR was being marked up $10-20K over MSP. GM is making only 5000, and seeing as how the XLR's sold in less than 15 minutes from Neimann-Marcus last year, it's going to be quite a fight to be one of the first to get these machines... especially since performance is equal or better than the SL500 at a lower cost.
I'd buy one if I wasn't shelling out money for grad school. <_<

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Originally posted by Ghrankenstein@Oct 31 2003, 11:14 PM
Some legends never die.

COMING TO THEATERS

starring:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

UR twisted Ghrankie!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thank U 4 making my morning :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
UR twisted Ghrankie!!!!   

Thank U 4 making my morning   
Wait til Return of the Driving Dead comes out. You'll find out that the Excalade ESV is -made- from the stolen gold, when the sun comes out and the whole darn thing -melts.-

Shot in 3-B: Three beers and it looks good, eh?

Ghrankenstein

·
Registered
75 Posts
Resale value in general on mid-tier luxury models is tanking somewhat. Just a matter of supply and demand - there's too many of 'em out there.

Even the E39 BMW 540i and the E38 740i, by most measures two of the best vehicles in their classes - don't do all that well, resale value suffers because BMW was so successful selling them new.

The lesser makes - and I'd definitely rate the STS as 'lesser' - will do even worse, because when the best stuff is available cheap, everything else gets squeezed out.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Originally posted by JEM@Nov 6 2003, 04:56 PM
...Even the E39 BMW 540i and the E38 740i, by most measures two of the best vehicles in their classes...

...The lesser makes - and I'd definitely rate the STS as 'lesser'...
Uh, you do realize this is a pro-GM site, right? B)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Originally posted by coolcaddy+Nov 7 2003, 12:10 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (coolcaddy @ Nov 7 2003, 12:10 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-JEM@Nov 6 2003, 04:56 PM
...Even the E39 BMW 540i and the E38 740i, by most measures two of the best vehicles in their classes...

Uh, you do realize this is a pro-GM site, right? B) [/b][/quote]
what does being "pro-GM" have to do with anything? if that guy was stating a fact, then no matter how much you love GM, the BMW will still be number one.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Originally posted by mackingu+Nov 6 2003, 07:15 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mackingu @ Nov 6 2003, 07:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 7 2003, 12:10 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-JEM
@Nov 6 2003, 04:56 PM

what does being "pro-GM" have to do with anything? if that guy was stating a fact, then no matter how much you love GM, the BMW will still be number one.[/b][/quote]
Whoa, down boy. The smiley-face with the sunglasses (B)) was intended suggest that I was being funny. Sort of a cyber-jab in the cyber-ribs. Knowhaddamean?... :rudolph:

·
Registered
396 Posts
Originally posted by coolcaddy+Nov 7 2003, 01:40 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (coolcaddy @ Nov 7 2003, 01:40 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 6 2003, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by [email protected] 7 2003, 12:10 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-JEM
@Nov 6 2003, 04:56 PM

what does being "pro-GM" have to do with anything? if that guy was stating a fact, then no matter how much you love GM, the BMW will still be number one.
Whoa, down boy. The smiley-face with the sunglasses (B)) was intended suggest that I was being funny. Sort of a cyber-jab in the cyber-ribs. Knowhaddamean?... :rudolph: [/b][/quote]
a thousand and one apologies, kind sir. do cyber-ribs taste anything like sweet & sour ribs?

·
Registered
685 Posts
And it is obviously a fantasy that Caddy can surpass Bummer, right Hudson? <_<

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Actually, while I believe that folks who hang out on GMI should be encouraged to speak their mind if they feel other cars are better than their GM counterparts, I would actually challenge the notion that the most recent BMW 5-Series (about '97 through '03) is a better car than the current (and soon-to-be replaced) version of the Cadillac Seville.

Now, before some of you good folks go and accuse me of having blinders on and being so hopelessly biased toward Cadillac that I would say such a ridiculous thing, hear me out:

The 5-Series BMW is an awesome automobile, in that it does what it does incredibly well. Specifically, it is a car that can handle extremes of driving in a way that few other cars can.

Likewise, the Cadillac Seville is an awesome vehicle that does what it does incredibly well. Specifically, it is a car that normal people like me can drive comfortably and confidently to work, to run errands, etc.--you know, the kind of driving that people actually do.

Would a 5-Series Bimmer beat a Cadillac Seville at Daytona? Heck yeah.

BUT, one reason why so many jump to the conclusion that the BMW is a superior car is that we've been trained to measure superiority by taking very narrow metrics into account. It's great that a car can perform well at extremes, but that ends up being sort of a moot measure for most people since most people don't drive 150mph through the desert in order to get to work.

Really, what's the point in measuring a car that way? Why not shoot it with a machine gun and see which one comes out in better shape? Why not drive it underwater and see which one lasts the longest? Why not drop them simultaneously from a certain height and see which one is most likely to challenge Newtonian physics?

...get the point? It's silly to conclude that one is better than the other because it handles better at ridiculous extremes. Likewise, there is no shame in admitting that one is preferred over the other because, well, it drives better for gosh sakes.

In STS form, the Cadillac Seville is not only a very capable sport sedan in its own right, it's also a pleasant ride with loads of neat gadgets and other accessories that make commuting more convenient. If that's what you like, then it wins.

And I think that's what this whole thread is all about. Our fellow GMI-ster who began this topic was mourning the end of the "truly" great car at the expense of bowing to the fashionable trends of preferring speed over substance.

To that end, I would say that Cadillac today is simply proving that it can build the world's greatest automobiles, regardless of how the measure of automobiles change with the times. Regardless of how we may really like our cars, that's what Cadillac has always been about. I welcome the change.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts