·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
In honor of today's Mars Rover landing, here is a picture of my car in Mars:

·
Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
15,356 Posts
Now I know why they refer to you as demon speed. It must be because your power shifting speed is devilish in nature!

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Been a while...

I've had a high idle problem -- starts around 900-1000, but after driving around a bit, rpms start to hang and stay around 1200 or so. I poked around a bit and found the PCV hose cracked:

So, rather than do the easy thing and buy a new hose, I decided to spend $100 and order this stuff:

Parts list: valve cover plug (12568011), valley cover to intake hose (12594779) and valley cover with built in PCV - aka: 2004 LS6 PCV (12577927)

Kill two birds with one stone: fix the high idle and clean up the engine bay.

Tear down went smooth, just messy:

This went pretty easy, too:

Of course, no job would be complete without an unexpected trip to Advance; I figured it would be a good time to put in new Fel-Pro intake gaskets:

No more external PCV!

All clean:

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Now I know why they refer to you as demon speed. It must be because your power shifting speed is devilish in nature!
It isn't hard to shift these cars quickly. I have a 95 LT1 and it is scary how easily and quickly you can go through the gears once you are accustomed to the T56.

Nice build. I have a 95 myself and it will probably get a huge overhaul for suspension in the winter. Might do a build thread as well since I do love my car.

·
15,356 Posts
It isn't hard to shift these cars quickly. I have a 95 LT1 and it is scary how easily and quickly you can go through the gears once you are accustomed to the T56.

Nice build. I have a 95 myself and it will probably get a huge overhaul for suspension in the winter. Might do a build thread as well since I do love my car.
I have never found a car that I could not easily power shift, and I was giving him recognition for his quite exemplary shifting.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I have never found a car that I could not easily power shift, and I was giving him recognition for his quite exemplary shifting.
No worries :). Actually have you tried to shift a VW 5-speed gearbox quickly? It won't let you. If I shift to quickly you can hear that it doesn't like.

·
15,356 Posts
No worries :). Actually have you tried to shift a VW 5-speed gearbox quickly? It won't let you. If I shift to quickly you can hear that it doesn't like.
On cars that do not encourage power shifting than a slight throttle lift can often coax it into the next gear. I would consider those under the term 90% power shifts however.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
This was the case when I drove a Saturn Sky when they first hit dealers (2.4, not a Redline). Considering the 5 speed was out of the Colorado, I shouldn't have been surprised. It went into gear, but certainly growled with protest.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Went back to the track yesterday. With 2 hours between runs, I was only able to get three passes in:

[email protected], 1.99 60', 585 DA (launched at 2200)
[email protected], 1.96 60', 1200 DA (launched at 3000)
[email protected], 1.91 60', 1480 DA (launched at 3500)

The track was hooking well for cars in my power range (this was on all-seasons; aired to 18psi). The car probably has another tenth in it, but I'm happy to finally break into the 12's. I'm also happy it's so consistent, especially with a 6 speed.

Had I launched with no mercy on that first run I believe it would have got me the hero pass!

That's going to be it for this year. Not sure I'll get any mods done over the winter. We have our first child expected for March, so who knows what's in store or when I'll make it back :)

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
We have our first child expected for March, so who knows what's in store or when I'll make it back :)
Nice job and great pics.
Hopefully the new parent experience doesn't lead to the selling of the sports car.
Even if the car has to sit for years your kids could have permanent memories of dads car outings.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Thanks for the kind words. I hope to keep the car so the kid(s) can enjoy it as much as I do.

·
Super Moderator
14,201 Posts
Went back to the track yesterday. With 2 hours between runs, I was only able to get three passes in:

[email protected], 1.99 60', 585 DA (launched at 2200)
[email protected], 1.96 60', 1200 DA (launched at 3000)
[email protected], 1.91 60', 1480 DA (launched at 3500)

The track was hooking well for cars in my power range (this was on all-seasons; aired to 18psi). The car probably has another tenth in it, but I'm happy to finally break into the 12's. I'm also happy it's so consistent, especially with a 6 speed.

Had I launched with no mercy on that first run I believe it would have got me the hero pass!

That's going to be it for this year. Not sure I'll get any mods done over the winter. We have our first child expected for March, so who knows what's in store or when I'll make it back :)

Nice!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nice Camaro. Great build. Really like the 4th gens. This past April I picked up a 1995 Oldsmobile Aurora with only 59,000 miles! It now has 74,000 mi. I enjoy every minute of it and plan to keep it stock. ITs great to see builds like this of people who truly enjoy their cars. Keep it up!

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Winter update... Santa brought me an Airaid SynthaMax dry air filter:

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Nice build thread. I've had an '85, '86 and '93 Z28 and I've got the 4th Gen bug again. I'm looking at a '02 SS with 15k miles on it. I'm like 90% convinced I'm going to pull the trigger. This thread doesn't help my wife's argument...LOL!

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
The LS1 Camaros are an amazing bang-for-the-buck at this point. They're akin to the Fox 302's that everyone seemed to have in the 90's. Hell, on Camaro5, there is a guy with a MINT 99 Z28 with 74k miles that is asking $7500. Perfect car for someone looking to get into the game on a budget -- or a 16 y/o gearhead's first car :)

As for your wife -- I was able to get mine on board when I took her for a test drive :D

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
My wife actually wants me to buy it but she wants me to wait longer than I'd like. Our youngest daughter out of the blue was found to have a partially collapsed lung a couple months ago. It's since seemingly returned to normal on it's own but there's one more follow-up appointment on Monday. Assuming that comes back clear I'm putting an offer down Monday afternoon.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts