GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in the day, '59 I think, Chevy took the Impala wagon and converted it to the cowboy caddilac in response to Ford's ungainly Ranchero. (I think the '60 El Camino is one of the the coolest looking cars ever made.) Since a front wheel drive truck would really suck, what rear wheel platform would do the trick today? Guys like me want a Grand Prix and a Colorado a the same time. Subaru has the Baja, but lets get serious. (e.g. Holden Ute)

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Problem with RWD small "trucks" like the El Camino: They might not be popular here in New England because of virtual continuous snow in the winter. A RWD pickup needs even more sandbags to be placed in the back to keep control in the winter than a FWD pickup :( since the thing would go no where fast in snow without a lot of extra weight in the back ...

:kama:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, I don't get back east much. I had no idea RWD pickups were so impractical. Your VW Rabbit pickup still doing ok then? By the way, I think was the Brentwood wagon, not Impala.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Then again, I've never driven a RWD pickup. LOL, yea, you're right, Rabbits are good in the snow. Maybe if there was a 4WD option then it would be okay. I'm just thinking from a selling standpoint.

·
Registered
396 Posts
is it just me, or does anyone else think that GM should turn back time and start using perimetre framed, RWD cars. they already have a crap load of truck platforms they can shank. swap the solid rear and leafs for IRS and coils, and we're in business. sure, it might rattle a bit more, but i would guess it'd be affordable :D

but seriously, i think it should happen. :mf_boff:

·
Registered
316 Posts
is it just me, or does anyone else think that GM should turn back time and start using perimetre framed, RWD cars. they already have a crap load of truck platforms they can shank. swap the solid rear and leafs for IRS and coils, and we're in business. sure, it might rattle a bit more, but i would guess it'd be affordable
rattles are completely unacceptable in today's car industry. it is things like rattles and low build quality that got GM into the whole they're digging themselves out of right now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts