GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

STRUGGLING US brand Buick is set to be the first North American recipient of Holden’s Zeta architecture.

General Motors has plans to reposition Buick as its direct opposition to Toyota’s luxury brand Lexus. Holden technology will play a key role in making that happen.

First signs of the co-operation should come in April at the New York auto show with the unveiling of a convertible concept expected to be called Velite.

But Buick will have to wait until 2007 before being able to exploit the architecture with a production car.

Full article HERE

Pictures and more news as the occur. Keep watching.

·
Registered
790 Posts
isnt this already on the news ticker?

still good news, except for the part about haveing to wait to see all these fine cars until at earliest 2007

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
No company is more american than buick. This is just not right. Are all american companies going to make just rebadged foreign cars? All i have to say is, it better have a column shifter, six passenger seating, and a whole lot of idiot lights. maybe then it will be acceptable.

Alan

·
Registered
790 Posts
Originally posted by gopedxr7@Feb 27 2004, 01:45 AM
No company is more american than buick. This is just not right. Are all american companies going to make just rebadged foreign cars? All i have to say is, it better have a column shifter, six passenger seating, and a whole lot of idiot lights. maybe then it will be acceptable.

Alan
i like buick but they need to get more competitive, and i think holden holds the answer, i want to see holden come to america, and if it is in the form of a stylish comfy buick, all the better.

·
Registered
387 Posts
they did not say that the zeta cars would be readged holdens they would in all likely hood be like the Kappa siblings (almost the same underneath but totally different on the outside and inside)

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Ooooh look Velite Buick here reminds me of a Lexus SC430.

Picked up the pic from another site, thought I'd show it 2 those of us who do not visit the 1 in question.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Originally posted by Branden@Feb 27 2004, 02:55 AM
Also, anyone notice that before Zeta was called Zeta it was called VE-Lite? Now they have a concept called Velite :blink:
I thought Zeta used to be called Sigma-Lite, not VE-Lite...?

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Originally posted by cyboexpo2002+Feb 27 2004, 06:13 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (cyboexpo2002 @ Feb 27 2004, 06:13 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Branden@Feb 27 2004, 02:55 AM
Also, anyone notice that before Zeta was called Zeta it was called VE-Lite? Now they have a concept called Velite :blink:
I thought Zeta used to be called Sigma-Lite, not VE-Lite...? [/b][/quote]
Velite is just the name of the vehicle itself... Zeta is the name of the platform that it is built on, and yes Zeta use to be called Sigma-Lite...

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Originally posted by nsap+Feb 27 2004, 07:18 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (nsap @ Feb 27 2004, 07:18 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 27 2004, 06:13 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Branden
@Feb 27 2004, 02:55 AM

I thought Zeta used to be called Sigma-Lite, not VE-Lite...?
Velite is just the name of the vehicle itself... Zeta is the name of the platform that it is built on, and yes Zeta use to be called Sigma-Lite... [/b][/quote]
I have a feeling this car is not based on Zeta chassis. Sources say that it is larger than Kappa (Compact), yet smaller then Zeta (Mid/Fullsize). I think this is a new version of Zeta with a new Name (VE-Lite) just like Zeta was Sigma Lite before they gave it a Greek Name...hmmmm

NSAP: The name of the car Technically is VE-lite, but Velite sounds better

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Seeing as how I'm a former entomologist, "Velite" sounds a lot like "Veliid" to me.

Ghrank

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In actuality, this car will most probably be called Riviera, not Velite (or VE Lite).

This picture:

is a rendering from Autoweek magazine.

The car does in fact share the shortened Zeta platform with the upcoming next generation Chevrolet Camaro.

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
MMMMMMMMMMM......Velveeta.......auuuuuggghhhhhhhhh(drool)

I hope that Velite is the codename for the car....something like "VE-Lite platform "

I would really like it if Buick called it Riviera, though Wildcat would be a close second.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
hey, that looks good. love how it's got such a strong hood line, from below the windshield right down to below the front bumper (between the headlights). makes for a strong character line. love the way the rear fenders jutt out and back, kinda separating the ****pit from the fenders (kinda boattail... very fitting for a riviera, no?).

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Whoa... I think we are getting the wrong Idea.

Zeta is not a "foreign" car, its just a chassis that is based off of 2 chassis, one being Sigma and the other being an advaced form of Opels Omega.

VE, Sigma Lite, and Sigma Mass were all names of what we now know is Zeta.
I never heard of VE-Lite, but good catch Branden!!
And the Concept drawing looks a LOT like the Insignia which as we all know is the Zeta's first from.
The Concept pic looks a lot like the SC430 also. The Buick grill looks very... Caddy-like? And this is just another move twards a Camaro. Only sad part is that they said the FIRST car is going to be this.. so the rest will come later then 07? Its just about a sealed deal now for the return of the Camaro. If you could see the hair rising up on my body, and the tears forming, you would know how happy I am about this. Not to mention that hillary duff video where her bf drives a 69 SS camaro... its all a sign... Omg this is on another level of awesome.

GM... you rock hard core. Ill be a GM fan for life if they give me my Camaro back. Time to spread the news...

1 - 20 of 77 Posts