GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got kind of curious......was going through one of my Buick books and came across a limited edition Regal 'Somerset' from the 1980MY......

I remember the name from the N-body coupes at one point, but this thing looked gorgeous......it's too bad noone sees any around anymore.

Was wondering how much of an actual rarity this G-body jewel was......?? :confused:

Ext. Shot
Brochure
Mini-Description

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
The Somerset package was originally offered on the 1980 Regal Limited and continued with the redesigned 1981-1984 models, as far as I know. The 1980 & 82 models were cream/dark blue two-tone inside and out and had special features like an umbrella in the driver's seatback pocket. I know the 1984 was a two-tone beige/brown combo on the outside and dark brown with beige seat piping and brushed beige interior trim. That was a really nice looking car. I hadn't seen a pic of the 1981 model before and perhaps there was no 1983 Regal Somerset. The name Somerset came from the upscale shopping center in Troy, Michigan. I have no idea how rare they were and I doubt their sales numbers were broken out from the other Limited models.

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
I remeber these on the showroom floor of the Buick dealership, my grandparents could not decide between the triple burgandy Regal Limited and the Somerset Regal that was next to it.

I remember seeing a few down here in FL back when they were fairly new, they were very easy to spot with their cream and blue color schemes, but I have not seen one in ages, the most recent one I saw was a 1980 model in the junkyard, I spotted it from a mile away, it still had that snazzy 2 tone interior.

I always wondered if you could have ordered a Somerset with the turbo 3.8 V6?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
MCGARRETT said:
I remeber these on the showroom floor of the Buick dealership, my grandparents could not decide between the triple burgandy Regal Limited and the Somerset Regal that was next to it.
You mean Regal Somerset! There was a nice '80 Regal Somerset which I saw often in my hometown. I like the strange interior colors.
I'm wondering what Buick had in mind in 1985 when they introduced the Somerset Regal, this was quite confusing!

MCGARRETT said:
I always wondered if you could have ordered a Somerset with the turbo 3.8 V6?
I'm wondering too. I never seen a Regal Somerset with a turbo hood but that's not impossible.

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
I have recently seen a 1980 Regal Sommerset in the u-pick yard a few months ago, pretty sad.

I'm wondering what Buick had in mind in 1985 when they introduced the Somerset Regal, this was quite confusing!

The Sommerset Regal was given the name Regal to associate itself more closely with the RWD Regal that they intended to have the 2 door N cars replace, these cars, along with alot of the other FWD new cars that GM introduced were from the era that GM had more money than they knew what to do with but were concerned with new competition and new technology, and there was alot of in fighting between 2 camps at GM, the ones that were scared that gas was going to be 3.50 per gallon in 1985-1986, and that GM cars were going to all be to outdated, V8 powered and gas thirsty, and the camp that wanted to wait and see before commiting everything to dowsizing. This was the camp that fought for the survival of cars like the RWD Caprice, Brougham, Estate Wagon and Custom Cruiser, they also were able to keep the RWD Cutlass Supreme, Grand Prix-Bonnevile, Regal and Monte Carlo around until 1987, when they really were supposed to be gone by 1985. The N cars and the FWD A cars like the Celebrity, 6000 and Ciera and Century were supposed to replace the sedan and wagon versions of RWD G cars, while the N cars were supposed to replace the personal luxury coupes like the Regal and Cutlass, hence the names Cutlass Calais,(both the Cutlass and Calais names were associated with the RWD Oldsmobile, Grand Am and Sommerset Regal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
:) i currently have a 1980 Somerset Buick regal limited 305 motor its so nice i have always wanted a regal. but it was my lucky day i found it in the junk yard all messed up. but luckily I'm fixing it i got all the rust of it and i just barley primered it a couple of days ago. i love that car it feels like your floating its so comfortable :D

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lilstomps said:
:) i currently have a 1980 Somerset Buick regal limited 305 motor its so nice i have always wanted a regal. but it was my lucky day i found it in the junk yard all messed up. but luckily I'm fixing it i got all the rust of it and i just barley primered it a couple of days ago. i love that car it feels like your floating its so comfortable :D
Awesome! How was the interior when you found it?? Hopefully not too bad :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 1980 buick regal limited edition somerset, has the 4bbl carb 305 v8 I love it!! it cruises like a dream, sadly though i was in a minor accident with it recently, i was stuck in the right quarter panel but she still drives like a dream! and im currently working on gathering the money to fix it, I've never seen one of these cars till i got this one and im soo glad i did, but with them being rare its kind of hard to find parts right now and due to my location, but I am certually enjoy driving such a great car!

·
Registered
818 Posts
I have a 1980 buick regal limited edition somerset, has the 4bbl carb 305 v8 I love it!! it cruises like a dream, sadly though i was in a minor accident with it recently, i was stuck in the right quarter panel but she still drives like a dream! and im currently working on gathering the money to fix it, I've never seen one of these cars till i got this one and im soo glad i did, but with them being rare its kind of hard to find parts right now and due to my location, but I am certually enjoy driving such a great car!
You both need to get pictures of your Somersets up. I would really like to see some bigger pics. These are some of the great classic GM cars from my generation.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I found a pic recently on eBay of a 1984 Regal Somerset interior. This was the year they did they two-tone taupe/brown color combination inside and out. This particular car wasn't in the greatest shape but you can make out the brushed beige trim on the dash and the contrasting beige piping/buttons on the brown velour seats.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Of all the G-Bodies.....the sharpest had to be the Regal Somerset in the two tone Gold/Blue combo......I know there's an ad of it somewhere....just have to find it.....

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
You dont see to many Regals with those cornering lights like in the photo above

Though they were not Sommersets, any G body with a leather interior is also pretty rare, I remember be a friends of mines dad had a 1984 or so Cutllass Supreme Brougham that was black with a burgandy interior, it was very nice, and there was 1986-87 or so Regal Limited in a Buick dealer display in the mall that also had a tan leather interior, with a factory Astroroof, I remember the leather being very soft, a really nice car.

·
Registered
818 Posts
There's currently a 1980 Regal Somerset on eBay right now! Here's the link. Unfortunately it has been painted a god-awful color and there are some tacky interior add-ons but these are still great interior picks of a very rare car.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/80-B...oryZ6141QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Good grief. What have they done to that poor car? Thats awful!!!
*I would say something else about the probable ethnicity of the owner but I don't want any points.*

·
Registered
2 Posts
man thats sad, they sould've kept that somerset all original, lol, but i see they kept the interior pretty much the same, the only given sign to show it was a somerset at one time

·
Registered
18 Posts
1 - 20 of 62 Posts