GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Buick Regal: Opel Insignia-Based Sedan Introduced in China

Monday, November 03, 2008

Shanghai GM, a joint venture between General Motors and Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation (SAIC) has taken the wraps off the new Chinese market Buick Regal. With the exception of a few minor styling details like the new grille, the side air-vents and the addition of turning signals on the exterior mirrors, the Regal is in essence a rebadged Opel Insignia. Even though Opels are offered in the domestic market, GM execs considered that the Insignia would sell better as a Buick since -believe it or not- the American brand is more popular among Chinese consumers.

Pictures and more at CarScoop

What's in a Name: Chilean and Brazilian Chevy Vectras

Sunday, November 02, 2008

In the beginning we wanted to write about the new Chilean market Chevrolet Vectra but for no particular reason we decided to spend some time looking into GM's global crate of nameplates. Now, pay attention because you may get lost in translation: in Europe, GM's execs scraped the Vectra name as it was considered synonymous with "boring" in favor for the more snazzy "Insignia". In Chili, the current Chevy Vectra which is the same car as the outgoing European Opel / Vauxhall Vectra will be physically replaced by the Insignia but for some reason, the new mid-size sedan will retain the same name as before.

More on Chilean and Brazilian Chevrolets at CarScoop

·
Registered
110 Posts
oh, above post is showing my madness, is this country getting worse or what? The cars they are selling betray our own because we can't even buy our better product. This Buick is 100 times better looking than any they are selling now.

·
Premium Member
35,158 Posts
Why does the Chinese Buick branch get the Insignia, but the US Buick branch not?
becouse you are not Lutz. (Sarcasm )
Why do they not export American Malibu to South America, or Rebadge the G6? Part of why north America is in dire straights is lack of exports. Idiots running GM.
G6 strippers would be perfect as chevy;s for the third world, or opels.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
becouse you are not Lutz. (Sarcasm )
Why do they not export American Malibu to South America, or Rebadge the G6? Part of why north America is in dire straights is lack of exports. Idiots running GM.
Because UAW labor is too expensive. The only things you can export with that expense load are really old vehicles (GMT360), where the development and tooling costs have been paid for many times over, and niche vehicles where you can charge a premium (G2X). You are certainly not going to make any money exporting a cheap product to a country with an unfavorable exchange rate. Yeah, "idiots" running GM. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Maybe we should move to China so we can buy better GMs, oh, how can i become a Chinese Resident? Better start taking classes and study Chinese.
Or you could go to Chile and learn Spanish. Seems much easier.
Ill take my Chevy Vectra in black please.

BTW the car is photoshopped. Rebadged opels dont use the gold bow tie, they use a transparent bowtie like this one.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Wait....let me get this straight.
GM is rumored to say that the Insigna is TOO upscale for North America as a Saturn, BUT South America is fine? Am I dreaming?
Third world nations get the upscale Insigna...but we, one of the richest countires in the world, get Fleet Queen G6.
Im so tired of GM North America. I want to know who declined Insigna as Aura, Malibu, G6 or anything. He or She should be jobless. This is obviously a local problem as there is no problem moving Insigna to every other branch around the world. I dont think Rick has anything to do with it...but someone does.

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
Madness.

GM spends the money to develop this beautiful and no doubt dynamically excellent sedan, and yet, their home country won't have it. Instead, they duplicate the efforts at Chevrolet, Pontiac, and Saturn to create their own sedans, when the Insignia could have been a perfect fit?

Is anyone surprised money is about to run out?

This is as bad as Ford having both a Fusion and Mondeo, a problem that will be rectified in the very near future.

·
Premium Member
35,158 Posts
Because UAW labor is too expensive. The only things you can export with that expense load are really old vehicles (GMT360), where the development and tooling costs have been paid for many times over, and niche vehicles where you can charge a premium (G2X). You are certainly not going to make any money exporting a cheap product to a country with an unfavorable exchange rate. Yeah, "idiots" running GM. :rolleyes:
Our labor costs are not worse than Germany's now are they?

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Maybe we should move to China so we can buy better GMs, oh, how can i become a Chinese Resident? Better start taking classes and study Chinese.
Or move to England and get the Insignia.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Why does the Chinese Buick branch get the Insignia, but the US Buick branch not?
I would really rather see this as a Saturn than a Buick. It really doesn't fit in with the buick style, more so as a Saturn as an Aura. It would have to have different sheet metal and be smaller to be the Regal here. It is the same size as the upcoming LaCrosse!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Guys calm down. In 2-4 years NA will get an Insignia of its own. BUT it will be a toned down version with its own skin. Whats the problem?

GM knows what its doing. NA does not want attractive cars with the newest features.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Wait....let me get this straight.
GM is rumored to say that the Insigna is TOO upscale for North America as a Saturn, BUT South America is fine? Am I dreaming?
Third world nations get the upscale Insigna...but we, one of the richest countires in the world, get Fleet Queen G6.
Im so tired of GM North America. I want to know who declined Insigna as Aura, Malibu, G6 or anything. He or She should be jobless. This is obviously a local problem as there is no problem moving Insigna to every other branch around the world. I dont think Rick has anything to do with it...but someone does.
Big AL,

Could it be someone who Values Buick over Saturn?

Overlap? Hardly....

Isn't the tooling for both the LaCrosse and Insignia sitting @ Fairfax?

GM, you are making a clossal blunder by not bringing over the Insignia as is....

Ken

·
Premium Member
2,461 Posts
Our labor costs are not worse than Germany's now are they?
We would need to do some research, but the biggest factor would be health care, in Germany it is handled through the govt. so if GM were to pass off ALL of its health care & pension obligations to the Feds then the costs might be very similar or even more in favour of GM USA.

I would think that one issue with the US market is that you need large volume production, good quality, low production costs & a favourable exchange rate as well. Until the Insignia is produced say in Sth Korea or maybe China it is hard to get it to the USA with the US$ being as weak as it is.

As much as GM NA needs quality products, it isn't worth shooting yoruself in the foot by bringing a quality product that you can't make a profit on.

That being said, the Aussie $ took a tumble of 30c in the last few weeks so those Pontiac G8s are looking much better.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts