GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...i had a little epiphany and thought i'd see if it worked...i think it did.
i believe buick is a much more appropriate brand for the round shape of the monaro.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Nice looking headlights clean and simple. I prefer the GTO and am glad Lutz made the decision to have a GTO instead of a Grand National.
Interesting you are using the HSV as the basis for your concept not the regular Monaro? A GTO concept with using the HSV as a basis would look good as well.
Both the GTO and GN are great nameplates from GM's past but the GTO is by far the greater icon. In addition a Grand National doesn't fit in Buicks lineup as a competitor to Lexus.

·
Registered
316 Posts
your chop looks beautiful....it really surprised me with how nice and modern-buick it looks. however, i think it would make a better riviera than it would a GN. price this thing between 35 and 42K and i think it could be a winner, with that design especially.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Originally posted by 3eb@Dec 11 2003, 10:30 PM
your chop looks beautiful....it really surprised me with how nice and modern-buick it looks. however, i think it would make a better riviera than it would a GN. price this thing between 35 and 42K and i think it could be a winner, with that design especially.
if it's to be a real GN, put it out for under $30K, and make it a turbo Vortec 3900 :D

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks, everyone, for the input...

i agree that the gto is the "greater icon" in gm's history, canuck. again, this idea was based on my belief that the monaro's roundy body that has received criticism as a pontiac would work better as a buick. as a buick it would have a more timeless appeal by playing up the classy side of the existing shape's qualities.

maybe that's where 3eb's idea of making it the riviera comes in. i thought of that myself, but considering the mammoth power of the monaro in corvette-powertrain trim, i looked for the muscular name in buick's past. but riviera certainly works for me, too.

in any event, i think it would certainly help buick compete with lexus--and infiniti for that matter. when you consider the sc-430 and the g35 coupes, this is the sort of product that would put buick above and beyond, not merely "competing."

anyway, it's still just food for thought.

oh yea, i used the hsv instead of a gto pic because i think the lower front facia is more refined. :D

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
In addition a Grand National doesn't fit in Buicks lineup as a competitor to Lexus.
Who are you trying to kid? there are plenty of lexus sport coupes....this would be a great addition to buicks lineup...especially since the regal is dead.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Could a Monaro have been a Buick? Sure, but it is better as a GTO. The emotional response of bringing the GTO back and the media, public reaction and subsequent debate all equal free advertising. As to the "Sport" coupes from Lexus have a look. I don't see any Coupes
ES 330
From $32,350*
5-Passenger Sedan
V6, 5-Speed Automatic
Front-Wheel Drive
GS 430
From $48,450*
5-Passenger Sedan
V8, 5-Speed Automatic
Rear-Wheel Drive
GS 300
From $39,350*
5-Passenger Sedan
In-line 6, 5-Speed Automatic
Rear-Wheel Drive
IS 300 5-Speed
From $29,980*
5-Passenger Sedan
In-line 6, 5-Speed Manual
Rear-Wheel Drive
IS 300 E-Shift
From $31,350*
5-Passenger Sedan
In-line 6, 5-Speed Automatic
Rear-Wheel Drive
SC 430
From $63,200*
4-Passenger Convertible
V8, 5-Speed Automatic
Rear-Wheel Drive

If the SC 430 is a competitor to a Monaro based Buick GM would be insulting it buyers. I doubt the build quality and NVH would be comparable. The Monaro as a Pontiac was the correct decision. Infiniti is another story the G35 coupe is considerably less expensive than the Lexus SC.
280 HP 3.5 liter (3,498cc) DOCH V6 engine $32,420
6-speed manual transmission
18" Aluminum Alloy Wheels
or
280 HP 3.5 liter (3,498cc) DOCH V6 engine $31,550
5-speed automatic transmission with manual shift mode
Could Lutz position Buick against Infiniti? Sure but he has set the bar higher. Lexus is above Infiniti in the market. Could a Buick based Monaro be changed in the same way the 350Z became the G35? Yes but not as an import remember the UAW.
GM should create a Buick coupe but not on an old platform maybe start with the CTS platform instead.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Who are you trying to kid? there are plenty of lexus sport coupes....this would be a great addition to buicks lineup...especially since the regal is dead.
I agree with this interpretation, but as a supplement to Pontiac's GTO as a BMW competitor. American heritage (e.g. the GTO name) is the trump card that GM and Pontiac have over BMW, as many of today's BMW buyers had, or wish they'd had, GTOs in the past, and along comes the 2004 GTO that suits many BMW buyers' tastes as good or better than any BMW for the price, and out-prices the M3 by a wide margin.

I think Buick could play a similar hand against Lexus with a Monaro-based Grand National, as many of today's Lexus buyers had similar aspirations in the 80's. A Monaro-based Grand National would fill a similar role for Buick as the "American Lexus," as well as seriously outperforming even the upcoming supercharged Chrysler Crossfire. Maybe the moniker "Grand National" inspires a bit of a "mullet-ride" recollection; perhaps calling such a car the Buick GN / GNX would make everyone happy.

Either way, this "Grand National" concept is among the best ever posted here. I'd like to see chrome portholes, the less functional the better, to complement the grille, but even the way it is, I'd be in line to buy one.

Ghrankenstein

·
Registered
129 Posts
You're dead on! The GTO/Monaro was too nice to be a Pontiac from the beginning. They should've made it a Buick or a Cadillac. Those marks are more known for their quality and performance vs. just their performance. One look at the interior of a GTO and you wonder, where's the red guages? Where's all the plastic? Where are the large seams in the dash or the ill-fitting panels. This can't be a Pontiac. Well for crying out loud even the leather looks first rate.

Give me a live axle, poor interior materials, crappy build quality, zero resale, then I'll call it a Pontiac! Hell the only coupe built now that fits the bill and DESERVES the Pontiac label is the mustang.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for the high praise, ghrankenstein. i don't often pull them off as well as the idea comes to me, not enough to post anyway. so i was glad this "epiphany" came together. anyway, i hope i'll have more to come.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
CVP33 Mustang and Pontiac? Ouch I must disagree
The GNX idea is a good one. The reference of being a Doctor's Muscle Car comes to mind.
As for the Monaro being too upscale to be a Pontiac. Come on bargain performance and a good interior sounds like a good direction for Pontiac.
I also would prefer a newer platform for a Buick based coupe.
Buick does need a coupe now.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Why not the Reatta? :lol:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ackenda:
:type: Just had to write you a brief note of admiration! I can't get this car out of my mind. Normally, I hang out on cheersandgears, and I've been hoping someone would post it over there for others to see and appreciate. Like myself, I bet a lot of people would love it! It's fresh, looks modern, and I agree it seems a better use of the Monaro over and above the GTO. You've found just the right design elements to combine, giving the car a great flair! That grille and the size of it makes it so fine -- compare it to Rex Raider's ideas, which, to my eyes, seem dowdy using the old Regal and Century grilles. (And I've liked a lot of Rex's work in the past.) Ackenda, your design makes it clear that, as the TV commercials for the Rainier say, "It's a brand new Buick!" Would it be allright with you to make a link on cheersandgears to it? Or would you be willing to post it there? One minor quibble: I'm aware of its heritage, but I think the name "Grand National" doesn't fit in with Buick's newly-renewed premium luxury plans. At the same time I admit I have a soft spot for the name "Wildcat," but I'm not sure they would consider that. In any event, Ackenda, thank you very much for one of the best designs, arguably one of the best concepts for Buick, deserving a place alongside their "official" concepts.

I am editing onto my post that I've just gone back about 15 pages, to around May 2003, and looked at all the Buick concepts here since then. I'd give Rex's minivan design an honorable mention, but I have to be honest and say the rest seem like re-hashed something-or-others, that they're too obviously based on something else, with one or another of the Buick grilles (most often Rainier, Rendezvous, or LaCrosse) pasted in. [And of course I better admit I couldn't design my way out of a paper bag.] But it only confirms my feelings about Ackenda's design; I don't look at it and say, oh that's a Malibu Maxx with Buick cues, or that started as an RX330 and they added some Buick cues, etc. It looks wonderful.

Well, thanks for letting me go on about this. I've been lurking here for just shy of a year, and look what finally prompted me to write. Whew!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts