GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Gran Sports of the muscle era were pretty brutal cars. The one I'm thinking of was the Skylark, which was built on the A body platform (GTO, 4-4-2, Chevelle).

With the GTO back, and maybe the Chevelle too, should Buick bring a car like the Skylark GS back?

·
Registered
481 Posts
1936 Buick Special body + 1936 Buick Roadmaster engine = 1936 Buick Century.
The Century was actually Buick's first musclecar. There was even a Century GS for '73, '74, and oddly enough, '86. The first turbo V-6 Buick (that I know of) was the '76 Indy Pace car (a Century). Unfortunately, the hatchback version of '78-'80 was so ugly, that Buick (apparently feeling that they couldn't save it) did a 180 and turned it into a luxury car/ family sedan with the formal roofline in '81. So, whether it be Century or GS, I wouldn't mind to see some kind of sportiness from Buick other than LaCrosse CXS and Velite (which I think will probably dumbed down quite a bit if it makes to production).

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Im not as familiar with the Gran Sport, but if Buick has an iconic car for this generation, the GNX is it. It is recognized as a car to be feared across all fan lines.

For Buick to ignore this car in search of Lexus softness and sophistication is a mistake -- in particular if they intend on selling rebadges like the Buick Terazza that are not up to Lexus standards.

Without question it must be offered with a turbo.

A V6 turbocharged 3.9L would be awesome. Plop it into a vehicle like the RWD Velite, and watch the sales roll in. Looks don't matter much - aside from offering a package where everything is blacked out.

Reading up on the Gran Sport a little more, I'm not sure that Buick of today could stretch its image that far. Grand National yes, Gran Sport....not so sure. It would have to be something very similar to the Pontiac GTO, I'd guess. The Monaro based coupe is refined while at the same time being a fire-snorting musclecar.

Not sure that musclecar could ever fit into GM's current marketing image of Buick. Turbocharged sleeper? Now that's another story.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Eh... you never know. It worked in the 60's. You had your everyday old mans luxury cars... and your firebreathing 455/Stage 1/GSX. That wasn't until '70 though. Albeit the 400's up until '70 were nothing to sneeze at.

What about using the Zeta platform instead of the monaro's?

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
The use of GS or Gran Sport could be used in a couple of ways. Buick could use GS like Chevy with SS and Pontiac used Super Duty and now GXP. Other it could be a high performance car but would need to be like the CTS V series. In either case Buick should not get into either senario until the brand has fully reestabilished itself.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by Canuck@Apr 20 2004, 08:49 PM
In either case Buick should not get into either senario until the brand has fully reestabilished itself.
there ya go! all this talk about performance versions and halo cars and image builders is fine... when you have a stable you wanna promote (a la cadillac). but buick sorely needs some decent, updated core product (allure will be great when it arrives, i think) before they concentrate on anything too niche. after all, the point of a halo car is to present an image and get people interested in the brand... but right now buick doesn't really have much new hardware to keep peoples interest once they get in the door.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
When you think of Lexus, Acura, Infinity do you think muscle car? NO! The people who buy them are Buick's new target. The only cars a GSX Buick muscle car will take sales away from is Pontiac and Chevy (SS).

·
Registered
239 Posts
BUICK is bringing it back, why do you think the VELITE's engine is a twin turbo V6?

And it's not going to look like *** so don't worry...

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Originally posted by bakerna@Apr 26 2004, 10:09 AM
What about using the Zeta platform instead of the monaro's?
Zeta is the Monaro platform.....anyway....I think a buick kappa would be slick :D
No, Zeta is the NEW platform... nothing on Zeta is in production yet... It is engineered by Holden, but it is not the current Monaro platform.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Altough the GN and GNX has attained a mythical status, I feel that the GS and GSX were as interesting.
Personally I don't care if the velite won't be called gs or gn: if it's turbo and black, who cares-hehe-

What I believe buick should do, is to bring back the t-type for its current cars and trucks:
- very little chrome;
- performance suspension (lower springs, etc);
- bigger, wider wheels;
- low restriction intake/exhaust (noisier-hehe-) and altered engine management, good for some 20-30 extra hp;
- different shifting pattern;
- suede inserts on the seats, etc.

Maybe this won't boost sales right away, but for sure it will help on the long term eradicate the "granpa's car" image.

Lexus made a mistake when not copying also the amg lineup from mercedes. Buick shouldn't make this mistake, especially when they have this rich history of performance cars, or simply cool looking cars!

Here's a pic of a 70 gsx, just in case someone else fail to associate a picture to this great name

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I voted no, except everyone here thinks all cars should be performance cars. Leave Buick to the upscale. Not saying they shouldn't have HP, but in a luxo cruiser

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by yoblues@Apr 21 2004, 12:43 PM
When you think of Lexus, Acura, Infinity do you think muscle car? NO! The people who buy them are Buick's new target. The only cars a GSX Buick muscle car will take sales away from is Pontiac and Chevy (SS).
Lexus, no, but acura and infinity have cars geard to sporty driving. I like to think of Infinity and Acura as prime targets for Pontiac.
A Velite like car with a twin turbo 3.6 making 400hp shows that Buick hasnt given up on power. Id like to see that come to life.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts