GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Struggling GM division to lead the way on Holden new technology for the US

By BRUCE NEWTON 26 February 2004

STRUGGLING US brand Buick is set to be the first North American recipient of Holden’s Zeta architecture.

General Motors has plans to reposition Buick as its direct opposition to Toyota’s luxury brand Lexus. Holden technology will play a key role in making that happen.

First signs of the co-operation should come in April at the New York auto show with the unveiling of a convertible concept expected to be called Velite.

But Buick will have to wait until 2007 before being able to exploit the architecture with a production car.

And according to GoAuto sources in the US that won’t be all, with the production convertible set to follow it on to the market in 2008.

As you can see from the launch schedule reproduced below, Zeta will also underpin Chevrolets and Pontiacs in North America. And the list we have obtained is by no means complete.

Zeta has been developed by Holden for the VE Commodore and its derivatives but, as part of GM’s global architecture strategy, the technology will be exported internationally to underpin a new generation of vehicles.

full GoAuto article

133 Posts
Hmm, good news. I do wish it was more pure American design involved.

I think Buick is less than 5 years from having "customer perceptions" match that of Lexus.

Buick, please give us more performance !

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
ooks like no 40th anniv. Camaro. According to that article, chevy won't get the ZETA til 2008. :( Impala 2009. :( monte Carlo 2010 :(

:blink: Why wait so long GM?

Now I'm really rooting for the Nomad to be produced. I don't want to wait til 2008 or 09 or 10 for RWD chevy.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I thought I had read somewhere that Chevy was coming out with a new Impala in 05 or 06. Anyone else heard this? :huh:

·
Banned
7,944 Posts

Hmm, good news. I do wish it was more pure American design involved.

Some of Holdens desings are more American than the American designs from over here, Holden never stopped making RWD sedans with V8 power, and I am sure that the platform is being developed by both GM North America and GM Austraila for each of their respective markets, It also will be produced in the US, rememeber most journalist cant get all their facts straight anyway, there are a few incorrect statements in this article.

I thought I had read somewhere that Chevy was coming out with a new Impala in 05 or 06. Anyone else heard this? 

What I heard is that the Impala would be significantly refreshed for 2005-2006 model year, while we wait for an all new and possible RWD replacement. I think that one of the older Chevrolet News threads mentions the refreshed Impala.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I'm all for GM rolling out a lineup of exciting, preformance-oriented RWD cars. But I wish GM would use this new architecture to help establish brand Identity. That is, have two American brands use the RWD architectures (Probably Pontiac and Cadillac), and leave two other brands to sweep in those people who prefer FWd (probably Buick and Lexus). Also, if Buick is to compete with Lexus, then it probably should stay FWD, because almost all Lexus models are FWD (except the large SUV).

·
Registered
316 Posts
this means we have to put up with the current, already outdated monte carlo and impala until the end of the freakin decade!?!?! i sure hope they get an extremely significant upgrade before then...because these things are already behind the competition. maybe i'll have some interest in more GM cars in 5 to 10 years, but for now, the G6 and potential nomad are all i've got hope in.

I don't like the looks of a Lexus either, but maybe there is a market for expensive, bland looking cars.
i assume so, since lexus is the best selling luxury brand in this country.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Originally posted by jckjds@Feb 26 2004, 01:11 PM
Also, if Buick is to compete with Lexus, then it probably should stay FWD, because almost all Lexus models are FWD (except the large SUV).
Actully Lexus only has one FWD vehicle, their entry level ES. The; IS, GS, LS, and SC: are all RWD, not including their SUV's

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
I wish GM cars from 2008 were out now. I'd love to buy a GM RWD car like a Pontiac Grand Prix that can seat 5 right now. The CTS-V is about $10K too expensive for me. Not saying the CTS-V isn't worth $50K, but a $40K RWD Grand Prix with a V8 would be sweet.

Mark

·
Registered
8,855 Posts
Originally posted by 3eb@Feb 26 2004, 07:04 PM
this means we have to put up with the current, already outdated monte carlo and impala until the end of the freakin decade!?!?! i sure hope they get an extremely significant upgrade before then...
I couldn't agree with you more.

"ZETA ROLL-OUT
2007 Buick luxury sedan
2008 Buick convertible
2008 Pontiac Grand Prix
2008 Pontiac GTO
2008/09 Chevrolet coupe and convertible
2009 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Monte Carlo"

You have got to be kidding me! Since the mid-80's, GM has been notorious for telling customers to "wait til you see what's coming down the road in 5 years!" OK, so what about people looking for a car right now? This is exceedingly frustrating.

This approach lends me to believe that Buick sales of 259,348 vehicles in 2003 will be the highpoint of their sales for the remainder of this decade, not the lowpoint as so many in GM predict.

Once again, the suits miss the painfully obvious. I'm beginning to believe Lutz is all smoke and mirrors.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Originally posted by Mcmflow@Feb 26 2004, 01:00 PM
I thought I had read somewhere that Chevy was coming out with a new Impala in 05 or 06. Anyone else heard this? :huh:
My guess is there will be a Grand Prix - like redesign / refresh of its current platform, that is, until the RWD platform arrives.

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
Remember that this is second hand info, not directly from GM. So that timetable can be completley wrong.

[/QUOTE]I wish GM cars from 2008 were out now. I'd love to buy a GM RWD car like a Pontiac Grand Prix that can seat 5 right now. The CTS-V is about $10K too expensive for me. Not saying the CTS-V isn't worth $50K, but a $40K RWD Grand Prix with a V8 would be sweet.
Well, if you would be willing to go with a V6, you can get a 255hp CTS with a 5 speed automatic in the low 30's. RIGHT NOW! A Grand Prix GTP Comp G with 260hp is around $30,000 too.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
NOOOOOOO! Lutz is not all smoke and mirrors. It's the rest of those martini sipping buffoons. Lutz is only one man and you must remember that most of the clowns that screwed things up are still there screwing things up.

·
Registered
94 Posts
swift name

from a website:

VELITE IS AN ORGANIC PRODUCT THAT ABSORBS, RETAIN AND DEGRADATE OILS AND HYDROCARBONS. LISTED IN THE E.P.A. N.C.P. SCHEDULE.
PATENTED IN U.S.A. No. US005114593 AND MEXICO No. 177308.

·
Registered
131 Posts
the timing exceedingly sucks... reminds me of a post i put up at cheers and gears.
for all of you who haven't seen it, here it is. i did it a while back, there are many more examples than i cited, but it makes the point ---

gm,
i don't normally get so bent out of shape about this sort of thing (at least not since i've seen that there's light at the end of gm's long tunnel--cadillac comes to mind). also, i'm sure i'm missing something, so i'll plead ignorance as my disclaimer. but here's the deal...

does gm seem to take an inordinate amount of time rolling out new/updated product?
nissan sees an opportunity a few years ago--begins a study and design process and, bam!, three years after original idea--new full-size truck and suv variant.

volkswagen sees a need to enter the suv market, identifies a partener in porsche and, bam!, three to four years later--touareg hits the streets.

ford sees the writing on the wall about its f-150 and begins developing a replacement and, (again) bam!, three years later, new rockin' f-150.

...all produced and brought to market with pretty great timing--not just quickly, but appropriate to market demand. one design gets a little long-in-tooth and out comes a new look and better tech.

then...
gm knows it has issues in the '97 malibu, seems to think about it occasionally. does some market analysis--ho hum...identifies a valid platform for an update and, bam!, six years later--a great new malibu.

it gets worse, though...
gm recognizes a decline in sales of cavaliers beginning around 1995...it becomes an increasingly steep decline...blah blah blah and, bam!, ten years later (model year) we get cobalt. are you kidding me?!

gm gets picked at for lackluster evolutionary styling on silverado with its new model that was regarded as coming in late in 1999...other qualities (except interior) hailed as superb. but looks and interior surpassed twice now by american competitors...bam!, 2007--the press-released earliest date for update?!

why does it take gm between one and five years longer than the competition to give us new stuff?

...and don't get me started on how i believe that taking so long causes big brass to forget what they're doing in the first place, ie: millions of dollars in development money for questionable halo, ssr, while losing an opportunity seemlessly to debut a new camaro in the same time-frame. (you'll notice a trend in my attention to chevrolet as a needed priority for gm) [buick stands in pretty significant need right now, though, too.]

i don't get it.

can we get better turn-around times from gm--more immediate response to real market needs and not get swamped by the other guys or hung up in impractical, untested gimmicks?
i'm quite sure all this is covered elsewhere, but thought i'd be a fresh voice--i hope its appropriate (and at least a little accurate--is it just me?)

133 Posts
I've taken a look at what the Japanese competition has coming out these next 5 years (i.e. Lexus, Nissan, and Toyota) and I am not that impressed. I think we have seen the best of what the Japanese can do.

The vehicles that GM has on the design table look really cool.

The 64,000 Question is WILL the American consumer, who has trusted Toyota and Honda for these past 20 years return? It took the American consumer about 10 years to be convinced that the Japanese built GREAT cars. It will probably take that same 10 years, possible a bit more, to woo them back.

Stay focused on "passionate design" and they will come.

:afro: :afro: :afro:

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
It looks like zeta will be out in time for GM to start working on its' first update which will then happen around 2018. Way to go GM. :angry:

If I can't get a Nomad in a reasonably amount of time, I see a Mustang in my future.

I'm going to flog myself now for having to say i'd buy a Mustang. :microwave:

This is GMs effect on timly RWD cars

:downloading:

133 Posts
WOW! That pic of the Buick Velite looks really cool. I like the front end better than the "Chinese" looking front end of the Bengal.

Buick and performance in the same sentence? Who'da thunk.

YEA, NOW THAT"S COOL. Wurling down Hwy. 1 to play some golf at Pebble Beach.

It must tbe cool to be a designer at GM right now? ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts