GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 259 Posts

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Chinese Buick Excelle GT Unveiled
After numerous spy shots, Buick's new small car is finally revealed.
www.gminsidenews.com
June 8, 2010
By: Nick Saporito

Shanghai GM has officially announced the 2011 Buick Excelle GT sedan, the latest addition to Buick's expansive Chinese lineup. The new Excelle is expected to come to North America next year; however the final name for the North American car has not been selected.

The next Excelle is essentially an all-new Opel Astra sedan with unique front and rear fascia designs. Under the hood of the new Excelle GT is the Cruze's 1.8L ECOTEC four-cylinder that churns out 138 HP. The Excelle GT will have GM's Turbocharged 1.6L ECOTEC four-cylinder option, turning out 181 HP. All Excelle GT's will have a six-speed automatic standard.

Several months ago GM China began selling the Buick Excelle XT, a hatchback variant of the new sedan. It too is based heavily off of the Opel Astra. Production of all the Chinese Excelle models takes place in China.

Starting in fall 2011 the Excelle GT will come to North America, likely with a different nameplate. The North American car is expected to be largely unchanged from the Chinese car; however sources have told GMI that production will take place in the United States. Last December General Motors announced at the Los Angeles auto show that Buick would be adding a small car to their lineup in North America. The corresponding sketch of the small car looked very much like the new Chinese Excelle GT.

2010 Buick Excelle XT Interior​

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
I'm shocked to say it, but: it looks pretty good!

I'm still not sold on that little window by the A-pillar, but I'm sure older people would appreciate the reduction in blind-spot size.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I'm not sure how to react. It looks fine, but does it seem premium? Then again, pictures can be misleading.

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
Interior shots?

No big surprise here...nice cheap a$$ halogen lights on the car in the picture. This better not be the US spec version.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
If it was ever brought over here it would fail.

Does anyone else see a an AVEO sedan with a Buick grille?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Interior shots?

No big surprise here...nice cheap a$$ halogen lights on the car in the picture. This better not be the US spec version.
OM goodness, not another thread about headlamps.

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts
That looks very nice, like a little Regal.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Nope, I do not like it. All they did was take a large car's front and grafted it onto a small car's body...then they had a lazy/lackluster approach in designing the back end of it. It just looks like an old man's small car, not a youthful, premium, fun to drive small sedan. Very disappointing...:lame:

·
Registered
960 Posts
Since this is the Chinese version, I would expect the North American model to be touched up a bit and have better wheels like the Regal and the LaCrosse.

Looks good though. I hope that with the sedan, we get the Astra hatchback version as well. Couldn't hurt to have two variations.

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
I don't understand how suddenly headlights have become a gripe.

I think the lights look nice and I don't see anything "cheap" about them.

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
If it was ever brought over here it would fail.

Does anyone else see a an AVEO sedan with a Buick grille?
Yes. The little window looks cheap.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
I think the front end looks a little staid. Maybe the NA version will be jazzed up a bit. It seems to me on most Asian market vehicles that the bumpers, trim bits, etc. are a little more conservative than what they export to North America.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Kined of bland and typical. The 1.8 has no place in a Buick let alone the Cruze. Why is GM downgrading most of Buick's engine lineup?

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
I'm shocked to say it, but: it looks pretty good!

I'm still not sold on that little window by the A-pillar, but I'm sure older people would appreciate the reduction in blind-spot size.
Average age for Buick buyer in China is 32 vs. 65 in USA (was 72 until Enclave and new LaCrosse showed up).

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I'm sure it will be said many times, but Excelle is too close to Excel, and nobody wants that confusion.

1.6T (with similar modifications that the 1.4T had to its predecessor) and the 2.0T's (LDK and LNF) would make this car highly competitive versus cars like the CSX, upper level Mazda3's, Volvo C30, and other 'premium' compacts. Keep the content high and it'll do fine.

·
Registered
153 Posts
That looks very nice, like a little Regal.
No, it looks like a mini LaCrosse...and that's the problem. The LaCrosse is gorgeous, but the design details don't fit on a smaller car IMO.

IF they took the current Astra's front end and did a better job designing the trunk of the car, this would look like a mini Regal and that would be a very good thing...this, however, just looks frumpy. I am extremely disappointed because I really would have seriously consider this small Buick had it been designed to come across as leaner such as what I believe the Astra's front end with the waterfall grill would have been.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I think if Buick is going to bring over a smaller car it should be the Astra hatch. There is no need for a small Buick sedan in the US as the Cruze LTZ would be enough. I just see this car as GM flooding the market with similar product just like old times..

1 - 20 of 259 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.