GM Inside News Forum banner

Buick & Cadillac's Inferior Interior

886 views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  banzai79 
#1 ·
When will GM begin to design world class interiors? This Mercedes E320 is where we need to be - simply gorgeous.

#2 ·
<_<
Umm... They've started.
Have you even seen the interiors of the XLR and La Crosse? Or even the new STS??

Problem Mercedes has been having with the dashes over the past 5-7 years, is that they look nice, but they fall apart after a couple years.
Mercedes is NOT the target GM is shooting for. It is Lexus. Besides, the switchgear on the E and S are a big step downward from what they were in the early/mid 90's. A lot of the auto press have even deemed the current DTS interior as matching or surpassing the dash of the current S. Not saying that DTS is perfect (it's not). But I think GM has made trememndous strides in their interiors... even if it's just on a few cars. Give GM time. They have hit their stride and have pretty much gotten it nailed down.

#4 ·
while we're talking interiors... does anyone know if the monte carlo dash would swap into the impala? would they be totally different, or mount to the same substructure? i saw both last night, and couldn't help but think the impala'd look slick with the monte dash. though i know a new impala is on the way, so it won't happen. just wonder if it is possible!

#6 ·
Why not have Acura TL-like interiors with Lexus quality?

#8 ·
Originally posted by gmwsag@Mar 26 2004, 06:57 PM
:D spartan driver...um no offense but the wood on the E230 passing to the right window, looks like it came off from a 1997 Malibu...ouch!
I actually think it looks better than the 97 Malibu's wood trim, honest! It just looks more genuinely real, compared to the squiggles drawn on the Malibu's.

#9 ·
IMO, ;) if we did a "taste test" between Mercedes and any GM product to Mr. Joe Smo Public, I'm not sure how we'd(GM) fair today. Yes, I know that quality in year number 3, 4 & 5 is important, but side by side at purchase time is where it counts. I have to imagine that there are only a handful of high quality Interior Suppliers available to the industry. So what's the story?

#10 ·
I agree totally. New Caddy interiors are wanting. I got my 30 seconds in an XLR at the Chicago auto show and I was disappointed. Nothing really wrong. Indeed, the wood was really nice. But the whole impression was not really satisfying, and might even make me think twice if I were in the market. (And the new STS interior, at least in pictures, is a HUGE disappointment. Even if perfectly finished and done in really nice materials, it's not going to have much appeal.)

The E-series interior is nice, but a few bits of it come off looking very cheap - those fussy little wheels on the HVAC controls, for instance, look like Cracker Jack prize "chromed" plastic - and spoil the whole effect.

Lex-arse interiors don't do it for me, though. Too many fussy little buttons all over the place. Oddly, the nicest one is the cheapest one - the ES330 - nice for it's superlative fit and finish.

Audi/VW are still the champs. The A8 interior is to die for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.