GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking around at conceptcarz.com and ran across the Buick Bengal, a concept car for 2001. It looks remarkably like the precursor to the Pontiac Solstice. It predates the Solstice by a year. Do we have Buick to thank for the eventual success of the Solstice?

http://www.conceptcarz.com/folder/vehicle....vehicleTypeID=2

·
Registered
251 Posts
That's an awesome site, I go there every year around feb.

I really like the Bengal and I'd really like to be seen driving that thing. But, it's not up to me.

·
Registered
524 Posts
For the styling maybe, but the bengal was supposed to be FWD.

-T

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
I remember that point about the bengal: it was to introduce a new FWD layout that pushed the wheels forward and put the engine behind them, thus greating a FWD midengine car. It was supposed to have handling advantages, as well as overcoming the unfortunate long nose, front wheels set back proportions that make FWD cars look compartively awkward.

I guess that new layout has been lost in the push toward RWD. I, for one, won't complain.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
The problem with the Bengal's layout was that it required a unique transaxle. Instead of the transmission wrapping around behind the engine, it placed the axle ahead of the engine. That would have been quite expensive to do unless GM came up with other products (probably more than 100,000/year) to carry the same tranny.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts