GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buick Announces E85 Lucerne
By: Nsap

As the GM Online Order Guide suggested, Buick is adding E85 capability to the Lucerne for the 2009 model-year. GM is dropping the old (ancient?) 3.8L V6 in favor of the 3.9L VVT V6. The Lucerne will be retaining it's four-speed automatic transmission however, as we have heard the six-speed automatic does not fit in the G-Body platform that underpins the Lucerne and Cadillac DTS. The new engine makes 227 HP in the Lucerne.

Additionally, the 275 HP 4.6L Northstar V8 has been dropped from the Lucerne lineup. Instead, only Lucerne Super models will have the 292 HP Northstar V8. All other Lucerne trims will wear the 3.9L. Models with the 3.9L will have the option to have the Flex-Fuel capability.

The Lucerne will be one of four new models to have the addition of E85 for 2009, bringing the total number of GM products that have Flex-Fuel capability to 15. By 2012 GM expects to have over half of their entire lineup Flex-Fuel capable.

·
Banned
6,653 Posts
Notwithstanding the wretched automatic (I only mean all automatics are wretched), if the 4 cylinder Malibu LTZ was flex fuel, I would be every tempted to buy a car I don't really need. If it also came with a 5 speed manual, we would have a deal.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
That lucerne looks ugly with that E-85 promo on the side...
on the other hand....
We had lunch with sister- and as she pulled out of the restaurants driveway- we were waiting across the street............
As she went thru the driveway and turned onto the street- the car looked spectacular......
She has an 08- with the Sharkskin color. her car has the blacked out grille (not chrome).
Her windows are tinted black. I also added Silverstars to her headlights- so the DRL's dont look yellow. they have a whitish/blue look to them...
Sharkskin paint- it looks dark grey- like sharkskin under flourescent lamps....but this paint was an extra $500 or $900 option. and well worth it.
depending on the time of day and how light hits the car- the car will look grey, dark grey,dark metallic green- and at certain angles it it will change to a dark purpleish, then to a light reddish violet pink-
so when she came at us- the dark grey, dark grille, whitish blue headlights, and her making the turn with the sun hitting it, the side profile of the car just looked spectacular.... I was like... WOW!!
And she just loved the fact that people who see her love the car--- and dont know what it is... WHAT KIND OF CAR IS THAT???
Ive never see one...
so the car definitely looks different...
which is good, cause around here- theres a camry/accord on every corner...

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
Why does GM act like making a vehicle E-85 capable is such a big deal. I heard it just a couple hundred dollars worth of hardware? Of course it is an easy way to pretend your environmentally helping... I 'd be shocked if (the few) Lucerne buyers cared.

While I am no engineer, it seems a little fishy that the 6 speed doesn't fit in a rather large car that can accomodates a V8 option. They probably decided it just wasn't worthwhile.

·
Premium Member
2,461 Posts
Disappointing on the keeping of the 4 speed but understandable given the cost to make the change probably can't be justified by sales, i'm not sure a 6speed would give the vehicle a massive jump in sales.

Good to see more e85 vehicles coming along though, even if debate is endless on pros vs cons it does at least give you a choice.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Why does GM act like making a vehicle E-85 capable is such a big deal. I heard it just a couple hundred dollars worth of hardware? Of course it is an easy way to pretend your environmentally helping... I 'd be shocked if (the few) Lucerne buyers cared.

While I am no engineer, it seems a little fishy that the 6 speed doesn't fit in a rather large car that can accomodates a V8 option. They probably decided it just wasn't worthwhile.
GM does this so people like you can kick and scream. It's a choice at the pump and it further divides us from sending money to the middle east. I guess only an engineer could understand this.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
some people will say- theres E-85 cars- but no gas stations to supply the stuff....
But you have to have the product out there that can use it, then theres a demand--- and hopefully people willing to invest in it more.... something like that....

·
Registered
233 Posts
The V6/V8 Lucerne gets 16/15 mpg city on gas.
What will it be on E85? 12/11 mpg city?

I recommend buying a large corn field to go along with it.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I think this is finally the end for the 3.8, wasn't the Lucerne the only model still sporting that 200 hp v6 from the 90's?

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
I knew they weren't going to end up installing the 3.6 Global DOHC V6 in the car. I thought the 3900 E85 engine with cylinder deactivation had 233 HP. Which 3900 varient is this? 227 HP sounds pretty feable considering that a couple of years ago this engine put out 242 HP in the Impala/Monte Carlo and that most of it's competitors have over 260 by now in there V6's.

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
GM does this so people like you can kick and scream. It's a choice at the pump and it further divides us from sending money to the middle east. I guess only an engineer could understand this.
Nice thinking Einstein, but its not a choice at the pumps here in New York and a lot of other places. E-85 is pretty much a gimick.

It would be a brilliant if it was available everwhere, even though most of our oil is not imported from the Middle East.

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
I knew they weren't going to end up installing the 3.6 Global DOHC V6 in the car. I thought the 3900 E85 engine with cylinder deactivation had 233 HP. Which 3900 varient is this? 227 HP sounds pretty feable considering that a couple of years ago this engine put out 242 HP in the Impala/Monte Carlo and that most of it's competitors have over 260 by now in there V6's.
The G6 convertible with the 3.9L has 227, IIRC. They said the HP reduction in that application was because of exhaust restrictions resulting from the hardtop convertible. What's the excuse this time?

·
Banned
6,653 Posts
Nice thinking Einstein, but its not a choice at the pumps here in New York and a lot of other places. E-85 is pretty much a gimick.

It would be a brilliant if it was available everwhere, even though most of our oil is not imported from the Middle East.
New York E85 Refueling Locations
Campus Mobil
1181 Western Ave.
Albany, NY 12203
518-454-0950

Village Mobil, Inc.
88 Wolf Road
Albany, NY 12205
518-869-5354

NYS Thruway Authority
1870 Walden Ave.
Cheektowaga, NY 14225

Cumberland Farms\Gulf
Route 146 & Vischers Ferry Road
Clifton Park, NY 12065
518-383-9957

NYS Thruway Authority
Interchange 35 Old Thompson Rd.
E Syracuse, NY 13057

Cumberland Farms\Gulf
430 Route 9 West
Glenmont, NY 12077
518-432-9154

Glenville Mobil Mart
245 Saratogo Road (Route 50)
Glenville, NY 12302
518-399-1811

Warrensburg Mobil
3624 State Route 9
Lake George, NY 12845
518-623-9492

1020 Route 109 Petroleum
1020 Route 109
Lindenhurst, NY 11757
631-226-9595

Cumberland Farms\Gulf
110 Main Street
Queensbury, NY 12804
518-798-0934

Twelve Corners Mobil
1950 Monroe Avenue
Rochester, NY 14618
585-244-2825

Monroe Co. Regional Transportation
1155 Scottsville Rd.
Rochester, NY 14624

Gil Tegg's Mobil Mart
671 Brooks Avenue
Rochester, NY 14619
585-235-5907

Cumberland Farms\Gulf
511 Duanesburg Road
Rotterdam, NY 12306
518-356-5824

Sunoco
298 N Main St
Spring Valley, NY 10977

84% of states have E85 stations. There are 1,552 stations in the country. The number is steadily growing.

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
Nothing too noteworthy here especially since there are flexfuel engines out already. I'll save my excitement for a redesign (which is long overdue IMO)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts