GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GM of Canada Gets Ready to Showcase 8 New Vehicles At The Canadian International Auto Show

Oshawa, Ontario (Monday, February 9, 2004) - General Motors of Canada is buffing the paint and preparing the stage for the unveiling of an unmatched number of new vehicles next week at the Canadian International Auto Show - including 1 North American and 7 Canadian premieres.

The 2004 Auto Show Season is off to a great start. GM introduced five vehicles in L.A., five in Detroit, and six more in Chicago. On the Canadian front, GM Canada unveiled the Canadian only Chevrolet Optra5 and Pontiac Wave 4-door and 5-door in Montreal.

GM is driven with a reenergized passion for bringing to market more new vehicles than any other auto manufacturer. Following the introduction of 21 new entries in 2003, GM Canada will welcome over 30 new or significantly changed vehicles to the market in 2004 calendar year.

Here is a sneak peak at the vehicles GM will unveil this week at the Canadian International Auto Show:

2005 Pontiac Pursuit - The North American premiere of an all-new premium small car for Pontiac.

2005 Buick Allure - All-new midsize Buick sedan will be shown just days after its world premier. Designed to reshape Buick's midsize passenger car lineup, the Buick Allure features a totally new look with improved performance.

2005 Buick Terraza - A premium crossover sport van that brings Buick refinement into the growing premium end of the mid-van segment.

2006 Pontiac Solstice - The production Solstice is all about being a 'back-to-basics' roadster with gorgeous lines and fun-to-drive characteristics.

2005 Pontiac G6 - All new sports sedan for Pontiac. With its contemporary, sensuous styling and athletic proportions, the G6 is a tightly wrapped package of total performance, engaging driver's environment and outstanding quality and safety.

2005 Chevrolet Corvette C6 - Marking the sixth generation of its legacy, the 2005 Chevrolet Corvette delivers more power, passion and precision to reach a new standard of performance car excellence.

2005 Saturn Relay - A crossover sport van that combines SUV-like styling with the functionality of a mid-van, RELAY reinforces Saturn's commitment to offer a family of vehicles that fill the needs of diverse customers.

2005 Saab 9-2X - With standard full-time all-wheel-drive, powerful engines, and distinctive European design, the new Saab 9-2X is a unique and early offering in emerging premium sports compact segment.

·
Super Moderator
10,872 Posts
Are there any pics yet? Or has the Auto Show not started yet? I'm really interested in seeing what the Pursuit will look like. From the inital drawings I've seen of the Pursuit, I think it may look a bit more aggressive than the Cobalt. Of course that's only from a few sketches. I know Pontiac said that they will most likely not offer it in the US b/c they want to distance themselves a bit from Chevrolet and move more upmarket. I can understand this, but if the car turns out to be nice, a "G4" might look good in Pontiac's American Lineup. Especially if they offer features and options that they will not offer on it's Cobalt cousin -- thereby moving the car a bit more upmarket. For example, if they offered a Nav system, a "Panoramic Roof" like on the G6, or other "upscale" features on the "G4", it might go a ways to separate it from it's Chevy stablemate. And for added performance, perhaps they could offer an AWD variant too -- this isn't such a stretch since the HHR (confirmed for production), uses an AWD version of the Delta platform anyway. It might go a long ways towards moving the brand more upscale, especialy since the G6 is supposedly going to offer AWD in the future.

Just my thoughts.

Pontiac Pursuit-

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
you're right... the show hasn't started yet. feb 13 to 22. i'll be there for sure... the pursuit hasn't had much press at all thus far. guess eventually the vibe'll be the entry-level car for pontiac in the states... canada gets the wave (eeek!) and pursuit. if anything the american strategy is best for pontiac... but canadians like their little cars!

2004 Canadian International Auto Show (Toronto

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
"...a "G4" might look good in Pontiac's American Lineup. Especially if they offer features and options that they will not offer on it's Cobalt cousin -- thereby moving the car a bit more upmarket. For example, if they offered a Nav system, a "Panoramic Roof" like on the G6, or other "upscale" features on the "G4", it might go a ways to separate it from it's Chevy stablemate. And for added performance, perhaps they could offer an AWD variant too..."

hey man... good thinking! could pontiac become the high-content, high-tech GM division (i don't mean out-tech caddy, of course)? offer more AWD's... a bit more power than comparable chevy's... some techy gadgets... a little more of that pontiac flare they're so very capable of (solstice and G6 :D ). it's kinda what pontiac hints at... just needs a little hardware to back it up! i'm all 4 a G4!

·
Super Moderator
10,872 Posts
Originally posted by paul8488@Feb 9 2004, 03:04 PM
hey man... good thinking! could pontiac become the high-content, high-tech GM division (i don't mean out-tech caddy, of course)? offer more AWD's... a bit more power than comparable chevy's... some techy gadgets... a little more of that pontiac flare they're so very capable of (solstice and G6  :D ). it's kinda what pontiac hints at... just needs a little hardware to back it up! i'm all 4 a G4!
Thanks! I really think that this is the direction Pontiac should go. I'm a huge GM fan, but personally I think that there is too much overlap in their vehicles and not enough differentiation amongst brands --- until very recently anyway.

Since Lutz has declared he wants to reposition Pontiac as a kind of "Affordable-American BMW" type brand, a sporty small car is a must. I personally think the Vibe is a really nice vehicle, but it's more of a hatchback/crossover than traditional car. And though it's supposedly aiming at the Chrysler PT Cruiser crowd, it doesn't have the appeal or the looks of the Cruiser. Plus, GM builds these cars with Toyota and I'm sure GM pays Toyota a royalty for each one they sell b/c the car is based on the mechanicals of the Corolla! So offering an "entry-level" car inhouse would save them money and create higher efficency at the Lordstown, Ohio plant.

Keep in mind that in American, sedans sell better typically than hatchbacks do (i.e. Mazda3 sales are projected at 1/3 hatchback, 2/3 sedan!). I think that Pontiac needs to address this and give it's potential customers what they want -- a small sedan, and possibly a coupe. IMHO, a number of younger people aspire to own cars that are financially "within reach" (I'm not talking about aspirational luxury such as Benz or Lexus), like the Subaru WRX, the Mitsu EVO VIII, VW Jetta 4-motion or even more upscale cars like the Audi A4 1.8T. I think that offering a small-AWD car with good looks and some nice options would be a way of gaining attention for Pontiac and re-introduce people to the brand. Add to this that AWD is pretty much turning into a craze these days (partially as an SUV backlash, partially for versatility in the snowbelt), and I think that this could be a real selling point for them. I'm not saying make AWD standard, though that would be nice, but offer it as an option (just like the A4 or Jetta). Also, give it the same standard engines as the Cobalt but with slightly more hp. And when it comes to the AWD/GXP version, up the HP enough to make up for the weight of the AWD setup and separate it further from the Chevy variant. If Pontiac could pull something like this off I think they'd have a real winner on their hands. Just look at what Subaru/Mitsubishi did with their entry-level "economy" cars like the Impreza/Lancer -- most younger people would love to have a car like that! This is what Pontiac needs to mimic and move more upmarket. A G4 could be what they need.

Anyone from GM reading this? Take the hint!!

·
Registered
790 Posts
i thought someone already used the pursuit name. volkswagon or something? im drawing a blank, well is it a no go for us plans, or still unsure.

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
American cars are considered domestics in Canada, not imports.
Many Canadians like American cars. Many like imports. Many like both of them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
We love American Cars!

I am attending the Canadian Automotive Institute to get my degree in Automotive Management. There is a big push for us to stick with domestics after we graduate.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
:bounce:

We love the American cars. GM actually has a bigger share of the Canadian market than in the U.S. I live in Oakville, home of Ford Canada.

Chrysler is foreign now, too bad though I'd still mite buy one if they would fix their transmissions so they shift right.

Pontiac Pursuit should be coming to the U.S. in 2005.

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by jasonellis@Feb 9 2004, 11:34 PM
We love American Cars!

I am attending the Canadian Automotive Institute to get my degree in Automotive Management. There is a big push for us to stick with domestics after we graduate.
That in Barrie?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes it is Rex. I'm in the CAI also. im a second year but im from montreal. anyways good to see i aint the only one at georgian on here. later guys

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm not at CAI, but I live in Barrie. And, I'm from Montreal. Just moved to Barrie a couple months ago for a real estate deal.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
stupid question possibly, but is the US gunna get the Pursuit?

And if so, I agree 100% that it should be different inside and have different, more edgy styling. And no, that doesnt mean body cladding Pontiac.

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There are no plans at all at this time (and I think ever) for the the Pursuit to be sold in the US.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
then to add to that, will there be a replacement for the very ugly sunfire? I would think yes?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts