GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GM really irritated customers and dealers when they decided to end two-tone paint schemes to save on production cost. It had to do something with painting robots and needing actual workers or something like that. Some critics say the whole look was gaudy and wouldn't be missed! Maybach must have not gotten the letter.
Since all carmakers have no shame in charging big money for paint colors, why not bring the option back? I call all photoshop artist (or freehand) to grapple the task at hand!

BRING IT ON!!

http://www.maybachusa.com/index.php

·
Registered
505 Posts
Dealers will do just about anything you $$$$ them to do.....there is a family where I live, that every Suburban they've owned has had that HUGE stripe down each side. That hasn't been available from the factory for a long long time. And they generally get a new one every other year.

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
I plum agree. GM was stupid to listen to those idiot critics who 9 times out of 10 hate the American auto industry anyway. Why listen to who hates your guts? Makes no damn sense!

·
Registered
12,867 Posts
The Two tone is a thing of fashion as well as cost

I liked the Two Tone paint on cars when it was fashionable but i think now it would be strange

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I saw a new Buick Regal the other day with the pseudo-canvas landau top... does that count? :D

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
If people bought them they'd be offered. It's that simple. The manufacturers build what sells best. Pontiac tried coloured interiors in the early Sunfires... if they had been a big enough success they would have kept on offering them. They weren't, so today you can't get bright red and green interiors in GM cars. If two-tone exteriors were hugely popular throughout the 80's and 90's they'd still be around today.

Not saying I hate the idea... some cars look very good in two-tone. Lancia has a few models with two-tone paint that look very sharp, expecially since they often use totally contrasting colours. Perhaps if some Lancia models migrate to Chrysler USA we'll see the trend come back... and if it does, you fans will have to buy them up to convince manufacturers that people want two-tone!

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
I think it depends on how the desired colors look together.

!!!

·
Premium Member
35,798 Posts
I saw a new Buick Regal the other day with the pseudo-canvas landau top... does that count? :D
I was going to ask if you're in Florida...I C U R. Nuff said.

I was looking for some people to show different ideas. I really didn't want any opinions!!
OK, no pinions. I liked the two-tone Regal GS, looked speshlly good in white and chrome IMO.

·
Registered
10,442 Posts
I saw a Commodore recently that had been done in two tone and it looked really great. If I see it again I will try and get a photo. It was more than just a different coloured roof.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Couldn't agree more. Two tones can really accentuate the lines of the car and make it seem more 'expensive' when done right.

Seems like Dodge is the last pickup maker to embrace the two tone. Lets hope others see how much fun they can be...

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
I've seen a number of HHR's with custom two tone paint and many look really good. As a retro-styled vehicle GM should have offered some two tone options from the factory.

I see quite a few newer vehicles with white body paint and black roof panels. I'm not sure if the roof panel is just painted black or if it is a special carbon fibre piece. I see this on a new VW GTI every day and often see a BMW 335 like that. I've also seen a number of Subaru WRX's like that. I think they look stunning.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
If people bought them they'd be offered. It's that simple. The manufacturers build what sells best.
No it is not that simple.
Why did they limit the # of burnt sunset orange trucks?
Was back in '01 but people had their orders cancelled just because of the color.

GM likes to listen to their marketing firms regardless of where they get the information. Just like the cruze coupe, cobalt coupe was in the 20% take range. How is that not enough?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts