Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Breaking: Upcoming Cadillac Convertible Canceled
One Alpha product bites the dust.
www.GMInsideNews.com
September 27, 2011
By: Nick Saporito

Recently news and spy shots regarding Cadillac’s ATS program have trickled out every week, even from GM themselves. Despite the fanfare around the program, GMI has learned of some negative news regarding Cadillac’s small car program. The originally planned convertible variant has been canceled.

Back in October GMI confirmed that three variants of the ATS program were under development. Both coupe and convertible models were planned to accompany the sedan, however both would launch several months after the sedan launches in 2012. A wagon variant of the ATS program was also slated very early on in development, but was canceled before the program was finalized. All variants were to be built on GM’s upcoming rear-wheel drive Alpha platform to combat the BMW 3-Series and Mercedes Benz C-Class.

According to sources familiar with Alpha development, GM has elected to cancel development of the ATS convertible. The source, who spoke on conditions of anonymity, stated that volume projections for the car were not high enough to justify the needed capital investment to build it. As of today the coupe variant is still in development.

The Alpha platform will make its debut next year with the launch of Cadillac’s new sedan (still codenamed ATS), which should arrive in dealerships in the summer. The car is expected to utilize a new variant of GM’s 2.0-liter turbo four-cylinder and 3.6-liter V-6 for power, both mated to six-speed transmissions. Cadillac's destined for export markets will also have the addition of GM's new 2.5-liter four-cylinder. All-wheel drive will be optional on all models.

Expect the Alpha coupe to arrive much later as an early 2015 model. High performance V-Series editions of both the sedan and coupe are also expected, though the V-Series engine selection may not be final yet. Production of all ATS variants will take place at GM's Lansing Grand River assembly plant in Lansing, Michigan.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Oh man, this is just going to hand thousands of sales to the BMW 3 Series convertible and the C Class convertible...

Oh, wait.

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To me this move makes sense. Make the sedan and coupe world-class, then maybe we can eventually get down to chasing low volume niches within the segment.

·
Registered
13,173 Posts
Does this mean that the upcoming smaller camaro for 2015 won't be coming in convertible format?

thanks for the heads up.

JB

·
Registered
803 Posts
Well that sucks, I was looking forward to a new Cadillac convertible.

Well, maybe they'll end up making the Ciel.

·
Registered
610 Posts
That sucks, Cadillac has no convertible!!, only other luxury marque that doesn't is Lincoln....
I don't understand how they don't think it will sell enough, they have nothing to compare to! (insert field of dreams "if you build it they will come" quote here), if I remember correctly they said the cts convertible couldnt be built because of the taillights or something, if they can't justify building it because of not making profits on it then up the price a bit, they have to build a vert for the alpha camaro anyway why not lay some ground work, just my 3 cents

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts
I thought the Camaro was to be on Alpha thus offsetting the cost. This makes little sense, except as typical "old GM" thinking. They have to quit building cars based on MBA projections.

·
Registered
7,170 Posts
Top engine is the 3.6L? So...a few tenths faster than a base A4. Disappointing. Lack of a hardtop convertible? No confirmed AWD? ATS just dropped a few points in my book.

·
Registered
303 Posts
GM....same of the old, other makers seem to be way more dynamical with models. Only GM seem to appear like an obese entity trying to do the salsa on a tiny dance floor.

·
Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
15,356 Posts
The enthusiast in me mourns this decision, but this model would have relatively high development costs with only a debatable return. GM needs to make sure that every car has a solid business proposition , and with the V as the halo car this decision makes sense.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Cadillac NEEDS a large convertible. Look at the impact the Ciel made, its pretty clear.

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
Do we really need variant after variant of every single model? One Cadillac convertible ought to do it. I bet you there's something better on the horizon. At least I hope there is.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
I guess they gotta conserve cash for another sedan or CUV. Why would Cadillac need a convertible anyway?

1 - 20 of 239 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.