1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bloomberg News
May 27, 2021

From The Detroit Free Press:

In its Thursday update, GM said next week it will restart its San Luis Potosi Assembly in Mexico for production of the Chevrolet Equinox and GMC Terrain after a two-week shutdown. It also plans to resume production next week of the Chevrolet Blazer and Equinox at Ramos Assembly in Mexico, which has been down since May 3.

Additionally, after being shut down since Feb. 8, CAMI Assembly in Ontario, where the Chevrolet Equinox is built, will resume production earlier than expected on June 14 and run through July 2 until a scheduled two-week summer shutdown period.

Production of the Chevrolet Camaro at the Lansing Grand River plant will also begin earlier than expected June 21. That plant has been down since May 10. However, Cadillac CT4 and CT5 production there will remain down through the week of June 28, which GM previously announced. The plant will produce limited 2022 model year Cadillac Black Wing production in early June.

GM still plans to keep its Fairfax Assembly in Kansas, which has been down since Feb. 8, idle through at least the week of July 5. That plant builds the Chevrolet Malibu and Cadillac XT4.

Outside of the U.S., GM said its Bupyeong 1 Assembly in Korea will resume full production May 31. The plant, which makes the Chevrolet Trailblazer and Buick Encore GX that are exported to the U.S, had been operating at 50% capacity since April 26.

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
What about the trucks!!!

·
Registered
18,183 Posts
I wish they did more analysis/investigation. Does this mean GM has secured a steady stream of chips and is back in action or just saved up enough chips to run these plants for a month? And as noted above, what about the money machines - the big trucks?

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Looks like they're spinning up to produce only what they need. Right choice! No need to build XT4 & CT4/5 since no one is buying them, but build up Camaro inventory because it's virtually non-existent.

Re: Trucks, they never really shut down if I'm not mistaken so you cant resume production if you never stopped.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Here's a slightly better explanation.

GM Restarts Several Assembly Plants as Global Chip Shortage Begins to Ease

Barron's said:
GM, Ford Motor (F), and other auto makers believe the chip shortage will sap billions in 2021 operating profits. The shortage was supposed to be most severe in May, exacerbated by a supplier fire in Japan, and then ease in the third quarter. That looks like what is happening.

“Our supply chain organization continues to make strides working with our supply base to mitigate the near-term impacts of the semiconductor situation,” reads part of the statement offered by GM.

·
Registered
20,683 Posts
Did they find some chips in a back room somewhere?
I wish they did more analysis/investigation. Does this mean GM has secured a steady stream of chips and is back in action or just saved up enough chips to run these plants for a month? And as noted above, what about the money machines - the big trucks?
Probably got some computer chips and plan on finishing out 2021 builds. Then 2022 can start after a short summer shut down.
I think this is what's happening; CAMI has been idled since February 8th, I doubt way-back then GM thought they would still have CAMI idled this entire time. So now, nearing the end of the 2021 MY, they need to build-out X number of vehicles, with materials they've got handy and then shut back down for change-over to 2022's.
(The Automotive News story said they were still doing their July shutdown.)

·
Registered
20,683 Posts
From Automotive News:
"Lansing Grand River in Michigan will restart production of the Chevy Camaro June 21. The plant has been down since May 10. Cadillac CT4 and CT5 production will remain down through the week of June 28, but limited production of the 2022 CT4-V Blackwing and CT5-V Blackwing will begin in early June."

I'm sure this is impacting model-year; EOP and SOP for many models, what a mess.

I was at a party yesturday, happened to talk to my GM neighbor, he said his dealers had 4,000 units; on the ground and in-transit, when they normally have 20,000 at this time of the year,

Reactions: 1958carnut
1 - 16 of 16 Posts