GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my supercharged MC, I was considering a bra to prevent those paint chips. Since it is winter in the midwest and the Chicago area uses salt, I am hesitant to put on a cover that will hold the a salt solution against the paint. Also, I checked with the mfr and he stated that it is quite a tussle to remove it and put it on. And he further added that I should wax the heck out of the area being covered.

So, I am asking for those with experience to give me their opinions.

·
Registered
685 Posts
How about those clear vinyl set ups? Does anyone know about those? I have seen a blip about them somewhere. They are kind of like what the OEMs put on their cars for delivery only clear. I think this looks interesting, though I know little about them. From what I could see they would be great. Barely noticeable.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I wouldn't use a bra on the front of the car only unless it was for an extended drive, then I would take it off when I get there. If you do then apply a generous coat of wax/shine before putting the bra on and take it off after the trip. Other than that leaving it on would only result in abbrasive wear on the BS/CC, dulling its finish. IMHO.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I think ImpOn20s and I are talking about the same thing. It is a film that comes in a sheet or something, right? Pretty trick IMO. Shouldn't affect you paint like a traditional bra.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I saw a Dodge in a dealership showroom with a clear sheet that looked like it was held by a pretty good adhesive. It looked like it was meant to stay on permanently. Is this the same stuff you fellows are talking about. Regarding what I saw, it made me cringe to think of pulling it off and seeing the paint come off.
Maybe if the bras were covered in a shhepskin on the inside it would reduce the total surface contact and allow air to circulate. I know the bras must be secured-I'd hate to have one start flapping at 55mph.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Bras collect dirt under them and flap around, scratching up your paint job eventually so you can never take the bra off....kinda defeats the purpose of having one....

Yeah, try the clear 3M film stuff.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Chalk up one more vote for the clear film. It is permanent (not reusable), but should not damage the paint when it is taken off. My dad has a Z06 with it and it is great for protecting against chips. Also, Chevrolet is using a similar product on the front edge of the rear fenders on the SSR.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I really don't understand the point of a bra. . . If it's on there, it's protecting your car, but if you can't see the area that it is protecting, what's the point of protecting it? "I don't want to get scratches on my car, so I'll hide it!" Just don't understand the logic. . .

Plus they look funny. :p

·
Registered
20 Posts
Regarding the film option:

How does this stuff look when you are done waxing the car. I can't imagine this stuff takes a shine like clear coat does. Also, how does this stuff weather? Are little scratches going to form on it causing a swirly surface after some time?

·
Registered
373 Posts
I hate bras(on cars and women :D ), it just ruins the car. Besides there are more important things to protect then the front. But if you just want it on during the winter then thats fine, if you got the time to do it yourself or the money to have someone else do it :p

·
Registered
922 Posts
I have had a hood bra on all my vehicals(I hate full bra's) and havent really had a problem with them. The last vehical I had was a black ZR2 and I didnt notice any scratches under the bra. But its probably depends on how you take of your car, I washed mine atleast once a week and always took off the bra :D when I cleaned it, and occasionaly waxed under the bra. All of my hood bras were easy to take off and put on. just my little blirp on the situation.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts