GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
36,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anything in particular to attend to with new brakes? Like a couple of high-G 60-0 stops to bed things in or burn off any glaze?
Or just take it easy for 500 like the owner's manual says, and then drive on?

·
Registered
273 Posts
I'm sure everyone has the "correct way" to BIB (brake in brakes), My standard procedure is: if rotors are replaced they get sprayed off with brake clean, everything assembled ..test drive 35-40mph 1/2 mile, brake long/normal pressure (x2),3 normal 25mph stops. then just drive "normal"(not like you stole it) for 2-3 hundred miles. If I was doing an up grade or something hi-pro I'd probably do several more higher speed to zero stops with a mile or so in between for cooling.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
i normally clean the coating off the rotor, which is there for rust when in the box.
clean it with a rag and brake clean, then i make sure the pad surfaces are clean, when i mount them, and then when i drive it, i go and drive about 30-40 mph and do some normal stops with it, several times. step the mph up a bit each time. you absolutely do not want to overheat the brakes when new. it will make hard spots in the pads, and they will not stop as well, and also it will glaze the rotor. just make nice easy normal stops, several times, give em few seconds or so to cool down in between each stop cycle. after about a couple hundred miles, then you can beat the hell out of them.

i tell people to be easy on them for a bit, unless its needed. main thing is to heat cycle the pads, and make sure they dont get overheated.

·
Premium Member
36,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, thanks guys.
This is a new car, still in its 500 mile break in period.
Vroom zoom vroom.

·
Banned
8,969 Posts
Hope you have better luck with yours than I have. My Silverado's rear drum brakes have made noise since day 1. If I am going really slow and stop, it sounds like I'm driving a bus or something. Pretty embarrasing. My next truck will definitely have 4 discs.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
i have had a few that have made noise, we normally lube the backing plates, and clean and adjust the rears, usually fixes it.

colorados are the worst. they all make noise

·
Premium Member
36,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The only brake trouble I've had in at least the past 15 years have been the rear drums on an Accord.

Oh wait, Hondas only need oil changes, no service problems...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.