·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pontiac's power trip
GXP version of Bonneville is sporty and has muscles
Mark Glover
Sacramento Bee

Pontiac's Bonneville sedan has taken some knocks for looking staid and dated, but that's not part of the deal with the 2004 GXP version.

The GXP heads the three-model Bonneville lineup, and it looks anything but staid. It appears darn near racetrack-ready with a seriously aerodynamic snout, dual exhausts, a rear spoiler and stylish 18-inch aluminum wheels.

A weeklong test prompted scores of reactions from me, but Motor Trend magazine still takes the award for summing up the GXP in a nutshell: "If you're seeking Cadillac performance at Pontiac prices, look no further than the '04 Bonneville GXP."

I couldn't agree more.

The best part of the GXP is the sound from the power plant - a nice, deep, old-school rumble starting in the engine compartment, tickling the toes on the accelerator and racing out the dual chrome exhausts at the back. Old-fashion American power. Music to the ears.

Inside, the Bonneville GXP oozed comfort and class, with a little bit of sportiness thrown in to match the car's snazzy looking exterior skin.

Nice touches included suede inserts in the seats and door panels; a brushed aluminum handle atop the gear shifter, sprinklings of wood trim, a brassy eight-speaker Monsoon sound system, dual-zone climate control and leather seating surfaces.

One annoyance was the dashboard layout. It looked like a blizzard of too-small buttons. After a week in the GXP, I still was not comfortable finding the desired button to accomplish the desired task. I would have preferred a simpler layout with larger knobs and controls.

Near the end of my time with the GXP, I became convinced that Pontiac was making what amounted to a multipurpose statement with this car that only recently was made available to the car-buying public.

The statement I heard went something like ... "We want you to buy an American car instead of a pricey import. We're giving you the kind of horsepower you want and some luxury to boot. And we're pricing the car well below what you would pay for a Lexus or even what you would shell out for our classy sibling, the Cadillac. So, what do you think?"

Full Uncut Article Here

·
Registered
137 Posts
These are nice !!! My only complaints...I wish it had more HP and I wish I had more money to get one. Maybe I'll hit the lottery.

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Nice to see the media noticing the GXP. And yes, I have to agree, if it was RWD it would be a lot better. At least it is a start ;)

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
I do like these, but I was disappointed they got the low power Northstar (Hey 25 horses is 25 horses :D) . GM needs to put the 300 hp version in. RWD would be awesome, but that's not gonna happen on this platform.

·
Registered
25 Posts
These are very nice. I think it does need more horsepower and switched to RWD. They should bring the Pontiac Autocross Lineup to reality.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
I see that the G6 is a Camry/Accord competitor, and I believe Grand Prix is Avalon/Maxima, so where does that leave the Bonnevile? Not that that interior will get it anywhere, though. Do those things sell? I know the Monte does and it has just as bad of an interior.
Honda :plasma:
GM :afro:

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
I believe the Bonneville competes with Acura TL, Possibly the base 5-series, so on. A relative of mine is very hard to convince that RWD cars of today are alot safer than they were of the 60's and 70's. Especially since we get some pretty heavy winters here in Michigan. So, I suggested a Bonneville GXP to her, she is going to test drive one to see what she thinks. Her main choice was the CTS, but she found out it was RWD. I kinda like the looks of the GXP better (with acception to the CTS-V).

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
The GXP is a nice ride, but at almost $40 large I can get so many other choices with better, roomier interiors and better reliability. And Gm has real nerve deleting the rear map pockets on the lower models and charging the prices they do. They should be adding equipment for the premium sum these cars command!

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
If GM was building a RWD Bonneville then it would compete with the 300C.
Additionally if GM had the Bonneville as RWD and had a V8 years ago then these two cars would be logical competitors instead the GXP is very nice, good looking but puts the power down at the wrong end of the car.
Too bad GM didn't go and put the Northstar with over 300hp and then the GXP would at least have numbers like the 300C.
Basically good but not good enough.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Uhhh....for 40 grand how the heck are you going to get a larger car than a bonneville? Unless you mean you want to buy a van or something. And there simply aren't any engines more reliable than a 3.8, and I'm sure the Northstars last too.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@Jun 4 2004, 08:53 PM
A weeklong test prompted scores of reactions from me, but Motor Trend magazine still takes the award for summing up the GXP in a nutshell: "If you're seeking Cadillac performance at Pontiac prices, look no further than the '04 Bonneville GXP."

don't forget that one of the Motor Trend editors said : "I don't know who needs such cars as GXP today,there are faster,cheaper RWD sedans,for this price I would buy an Infiniti G35.Pontiac says this car is for Pontiac loyalists,but are there many of them?"

Personally I think if GXP had RWD and modern Interior it would be a good competitor to 300C ;)

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The biggest flaw with the GXP is that the interior is the same as the one in my 2000 model SSEi - which although "cool" wasn't really very modern even back then - cluttered and busy, but not modern.

The best thing about the interior is the upper part of the dash - its made of a soft, almost leather like material that feels expensive.

I can't bring myself to buy one because of that, and no navigation system doesn't help.

Versatrak all-wheel-drive and 300 horsepower might have swayed me, though.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I have always liked the styling of the Bonneville, but the interior does need some work. As for the FWD vs RWD debate, I don't think its that big of a deal. RWD purists say it isn't the same (true), but a 275 HP FWD car is nothing to sneeze at. Still nice in my opinion.

·
Registered
640 Posts
The GXP is a nice car. It drives nice handels well. The only problem is it needs more juice.

Now you can buy a 300C for $2000.00 less and 65 more hp. and 90 less lb.-ft. of torque. GM needs to step it up a bit.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts