GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You did the Viper during your stint at Chrysler, and now Neil Hannemann, who led the Viper team, is doing the GT at Ford. Does GM need a Viper/GT class vehicle, or is the Corvette strong enough to handle that role?

Let me tell you that the Corvette C6 will have versions where we confidently predict it will suck the doors off of both the cars that you just named. The current Z06, with 400 horsepower, on the Gingerman Raceway, laps faster with its 400 horsepower than the new Viper does with 500. So other than just brutal straightline acceleration, the Z06 is faster today. Clearly the C6 Corvette, without giving anything away, is going to be a major step forward in vehicle mass, dimensions, handling, braking and, most important of all, power-to-weight ratio. So I think whatever gap exists now is going to be eliminated — in total performance. I think we'll match the competition in acceleration, and we will beat them in on-road handling. And if the Z06 version of the C6 is not enough to do it, we've got a few tricks up our sleeve, which we're already investigating. But it will always be Corvette-based.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Interesting article. I have been getting fairly serious about the C5. One of the best looking cars out there. Now they have to start showing the spy photos of the C6 and making we wonder if I can wait another couple of years.

I really hope Lutz can keep Gm headed in the right direction. What they need is another car or 2 that has performance and style combined. I am excited to see the Solstice approved. I dont know if it will be the car for me, but when it hits the show rooms. I will be there to take it for a spin and spread the word about GM.

Thanks again for posting the article.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Versions???....I wonder by that whatever could he possibly mean?????

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Versions???....I wonder by that, what could he possibly mean?????

·
Registered
367 Posts
Originally posted by casket_demon@Oct 24 2003, 07:18 PM
Could there be a Corvette SS in addition to the Z06? HMMMMM interesting. :krider:

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Originally posted by monger+Oct 24 2003, 01:30 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (monger @ Oct 24 2003, 01:30 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-casket_demon@Oct 24 2003, 07:18 PM
Could there be a Corvette SS in addition to the Z06? HMMMMM interesting. :krider: [/b][/quote]
I think there is a good chance of seeing an updated 427 in and SS Corvette. My guess... ;)

·
Registered
396 Posts
someone on my regular auto-forum, who works closely with GM, hinted at the possiblity of a 427 SBC for the 'vette. it's a known fact that the Gen IV can be stroked/bored to that displacement. it would be a waste not to do it, right guys...? :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts