GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BMW looking to fix i3 acceleration problem uncovered by Consumer Reports
Autoblog

Consumer Reports brought the problem to light when one of its drivers was behind the wheel of an i3 using the range-extender. When the driver attempted to pass another vehicle on a rolling, two-lane road, the BMW suddenly had no power to accelerate – a scary situation. CR started examining the car and found something pretty shocking: After driving at a constant speed for a while without any regenerative braking in range-extended mode, acceleration to 60 miles per hour plummeted from about 9 seconds normally to a staggering 27 to 40 seconds in their testing.

A BMW spokesperson told CR that it knows about the problem and has a fix coming next spring that also works on current models. The upgrade includes a state of charge indicator, a warning about loss of power and uses the car's navigation to boost the battery before driving on rolling terrain. It is not clear if the severe power deficiency will also eventually result in a recall.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So it appears that the 34 hp engine cannot produce enough energy to keep the batteries charged enough to move the vehicle as needed. If the car's 0-60 time drops to 40 seconds on "a rolling, two-lane road," imagine what will happen if you are driving around the Rocky Mountains.

There will be accidents, injuries and deaths.

And just like that, the GM engineers who designed the imminently more capable Volt look like geniuses.

·
Registered
19,295 Posts
Wow - imagine the headlines if GM did this. I could see the board of directors "maybe no one will notice?". And then a fix won't be available until next spring and a big part of the "fix" is a warning sticker? GM should have tried that approach with the ignition issue - put a warning sticker on the car.

·
Premium Member
36,289 Posts
How could a car as half baked as this even make it into production?
Half assed you mean?
How:
1. It's a bimmah, we make ultimate driving machines!
2. Apparently the prick behind the wheel never noticed richard during all their testing of ultimate driving machines!
3. Look, it reduced CO2 emissions! Saving polar bears* (who BTW are not dying off by any stretch) is more important than saving some scumbag human who is a cancer on the earff anyway!
4. Look, it's a BMW for Krikey's Sake! You Do Not Question! Shut up and Ultimately Drive!!

* http://www.americanthinker.com/blog..._made_up_polar_bear_population_estimates.html

Wow - imagine the headlines if GM did this. I could see the board of directors "maybe no one will notice?". And then a fix won't be available until next spring and a big part of the "fix" is a warning sticker? GM should have tried that approach with the ignition issue - put a warning sticker on the car.
They should have. OR they could change the corporate name from GM to BMV and hope nobody notices. :)

Reactions: TORRED1

·
Premium Member
36,289 Posts
I thought this story was going to be about how ugly it is. I'm not sure which is worse, its looks or its issues.
Jayzis, I didn't look at the pitcher. That makes Bob Lutz's Aztek look kinda SWEET in comparison.

That thing looks like the style studio was influenced by Monet, Picasso, LSD, meth, and serious frontal lobe damage.

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
BMW looking to fix i3 acceleration problem uncovered by Consumer Reports
Autoblog

Consumer Reports brought the problem to light when one of its drivers was behind the wheel of an i3 using the range-extender. When the driver attempted to pass another vehicle on a rolling, two-lane road, the BMW suddenly had no power to accelerate – a scary situation. CR started examining the car and found something pretty shocking: After driving at a constant speed for a while without any regenerative braking in range-extended mode, acceleration to 60 miles per hour plummeted from about 9 seconds normally to a staggering 27 to 40 seconds in their testing.

A BMW spokesperson told CR that it knows about the problem and has a fix coming next spring that also works on current models. The upgrade includes a state of charge indicator, a warning about loss of power and uses the car's navigation to boost the battery before driving on rolling terrain. It is not clear if the severe power deficiency will also eventually result in a recall.
Next spring tho!!!!!!!!!¡ if this was the Volt, congress would be calling for a hearing right now. This is exactly why GM did such a thorough development process

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
Voltec my friends, Voltec.. American Engineering Vs. German Engineering.
I would say massive overkill VS "just right sized" that is NOT quite big enough
I would like to know at what speed does the i3 start "consuming more power then the REx puts out OR is this a case of the Batt SOC being to low before deploying the REx and NOT raising the SOC
if it is the latter a software adjustment keeping the SOC higher and OR running the REx at higher output to increase the SOC quicker they say they will based off of GPS how about the car runs at a constant speed for "X" amount of distance and switch to the "HIGH SOC" mode and allow it to drop down when back in the city almost like the VOLTS mountain mode BUT automatic

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
I would say massive overkill VS "just right sized" that is NOT quite big enough
I would like to know at what speed does the i3 start "consuming more power then the REx puts out OR is this a case of the Batt SOC being to low before deploying the REx and NOT raising the SOC
if it is the latter a software adjustment keeping the SOC higher and OR running the REx at higher output to increase the SOC quicker they say they will based off of GPS how about the car runs at a constant speed for "X" amount of distance and switch to the "HIGH SOC" mode and allow it to drop down when back in the city almost like the VOLTS mountain mode BUT automatic
I suspect the problem is with battering thermo management. That is the most difficult part of these electrics and where GM and Tesla excel.

but its shocking to hear a CR driver attempted to pass anything in their holy grail

·
Registered
641 Posts
I guess we now know what bmw has said from the beginning was reduced performance in rex mode really is. It's amazing to me it took this long for someone to point it out.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Oh if GM or any American brand made something this shoddy the auto and business press couldn't get enough of articles howling about such an awful car.

But BMW will hardly hear a peep because German Engineering!

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
If the car's 0-60 time drops to 40 seconds on "a rolling, two-lane road," imagine what will happen if you are driving around the Rocky Mountains.

There will be accidents, injuries and deaths.
Big flaw for sure, unacceptable, period. That said, those that claimed that having your faulty GM ignition switch shut off while driving is NOT dangerous should be banned from slamming BMW for this...

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Just came back from at trip to the Outer Banks last week. I live in the Pittsburgh area and going down took 68 thru WVa and Maryland, it is very mountainous, got 43mpg on gas going down, coming back I took the Pa turnpike which also has its share of mountains, one stretch lasting for 5 miles uphill. The trip back I averaged 44mpg. At no time in the mountians did I loose speed or struggle, though the engine does go into high rev. But it is nothing that I dont expect. I wonder how the i3 would do, I suspect not so well. That is why I bought the Volt, it covers all bases.

On another note I have a question in the carbon fiber body of the i3. My volt was rear ended last January, need a new hatch, bumper, and part of the main body under the bumper needed replaced. This was easly done, because it just need, welded in. How would that be done on a carbon fiber car, and how easy would it be, it's not like you could just weld a new peice in. It would need to be molded in. Just a question, to me, that is the bigger flaw in the i3.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Several, I'd say:

LOL , l expect only the designers mother could ever love it.

Just a well nobody has been buying them in Europe, what total gash mess lash-up.

EU i3 sales
January 476
February 710
March 1,135
April 922
May 709
June 769
July 793
August 673

How are BMW gonna handle such a massive recall, sometime it pays to design a car so crap that nobody wants it.

How could BMW put some spin on this pile of crap that looks like a baboon on heat, it has some of lowest recalled car numbers ever

1 - 20 of 32 Posts