GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
ugly. i used to like what bmw's cars looked like, i still like the 3 series. but all of the other cars in its line up have just went to hell....

·
Registered
316 Posts
i think it's pretty sweet, especially the front end...the back is a little questionable from certain angles but not too bad. i respect BMW for doing something different with their design rather than just playing it safe by freshening up current design themes. all of the new designs have taken some getting used to but i've come to like them all (still getting used to the 5 series though). the more disappointing part to me is the interior where they have that huge second hump in the center of the dash for the i-drive....looks terribly tacky. otherwise i think the cars are pretty nice...but they'll never make anything that looks as good as the Z8 did.

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
I am one of the few supporters of Chris Bangle's design direction at BMW. Like Cadillac, it takes guts to head in a design direction contrary to what everyone else is doing. I am a fan of the new 5-series' design, as well as the 7 and the Z4. However, I am not a fan of the new 6-series (or the X3, for that matter). I definitely prefer the lines on the new XLR, despite the fact that this 2-door, 2-place roadster technically is not in the same market as the 2-door, 4-place coupe/convertible 6-series.

I remember when I very much desired the sweet lines of the 80's 635; I still do. Somehow, this new 6 fails to capture my adoration in the same way as the old one did, or even in the way the XLR does now.

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Originally posted by robob@Dec 7 2003, 11:58 AM
Are you describing quality or is it your opinion of its styling?
My opinion of the styling, and the interior for that matter. <_<

·
Registered
14 Posts
BMW's design team is probabaly one of the best out there. FAR FAR FAR superior to the ****ty *** designs that come out of GM, save the C6. Just my opinion

·
Registered
538 Posts
Originally posted by Rex Raider@Dec 7 2003, 02:03 PM

Um this is a GM car site!...not BMW-inside news, and how could you guys take those pics of the 2005 Cadillac away, or for that matter, leave those hideous pics of the camaro for so long?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Looks good to me. It has all of the needed styling ques and a completely new looking design that LOOKS high quality. BMW is doing better than GM they make people think that they are high quality give designs that people love (keyword love not like) Note to gm Tell people what they are going to like dont try and design a panacia (spelling error!?) one car cannot be the object of everyones affection but you need to design it so that atleast one person absolutly thinks it is the coolest car they have ever seen. If you design every car to be great (not just the top variation of the 8 types u have of that car(ie Buick gmt800 gmt201) they all need to be nice!) sorry my complaints are not very organized (i am a high school student typing this during math class) :D

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Official pictures or not,the car is still 1 ugly MF,but beauty is in the eye of the beholder,one mans trash is anothers treasure...and so on......

·
Registered
367 Posts
Originally posted by phishndave@Dec 8 2003, 02:59 AM
BMW's design team is probabaly one of the best out there. FAR FAR FAR superior to the ****ty *** designs that come out of GM, save the C6. Just my opinion
I wouldn't say that about BMW designs lately. :type:

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Originally posted by monger+Dec 8 2003, 12:31 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (monger @ Dec 8 2003, 12:31 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-phishndave@Dec 8 2003, 02:59 AM
BMW's design team is probabaly one of the best out there.  FAR FAR FAR superior to the ****ty *** designs that come out of GM, save the C6. Just my opinion
I wouldn't say that about BMW designs lately. :type: [/b][/quote]
I agree 100%. Most of the recent cars from BMW have sucked in thte styling department inside and out. The 7 series is flat out ugly. Nothing can convince me otherwise. The 5 and 6 series COULD look good if they got rid of the absurd trunk treatment. The back end of 5, 6, and 7 are so odd and ugly, they kill the other parts of the car. The 5 series has a Dame Edna look to its headlights.

In any event, the press is noticing. The most recent Car and Driver blasted the 5 series for its useless iDrive and knocked the X3 for its unacceptable ride. The 7 series has been universally hated for it's iDrive, exterior stlying and funky ergonomics. The old 7 series which was considered the best large sedan by many reviewer, is not on many people's lists anymore.

It really appears BMW has lost touch with what people want. Noone but Bill Gates (iDrive is Windows CE based I understand - may explain all hte crashed) wanted an iDrive. Some BMW executive for BMW came out and said something to the effect "learn to like iDrive, we are committed to it". What arrogance. This could be the start of the fall.

Mark

·
Registered
538 Posts
Oh please... its obvious BMW is in a styling rutt, even there own loylist are questioning there design direction (ala 7 series for its rush and keep hush face lift) on a car just come to market. Explain that, guys out there chanting BMW is best darn designer out there!?

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by R.E Sanchez@Dec 7 2003, 11:56 PM
Um this is a GM car site...not BMW and how could you guys take the pics of the 2005 caddy pics away, or for that matter leave that hideous pic of the camaro for so long?
Um, this section of this GM site is called "The Competition". It's for discussing cars not made by GM. Judging by the response so far, people enjoy talking about all cars around here, not just GM. If you are offended by non-GM talk, stay away from this section.

As for the Caddy pic, we had our reasons for removing them.

·
Registered
790 Posts
what were the reasons? im just wondering because i was very interested in that forum. that car is second to the corvette as my most anticipated car to be annonced in the near future. were the pics fake? or did you have problems with the photographer? copy rights and such?

·
Registered
708 Posts
The car looks like the child of the Z4 and Toyota Solara.
The new 7s are not great, but this car looks even worse.
I believe the 5s actually look better than the big 7s, too.

·
Registered
79 Posts
i kinda like it ive always liked bmw's designs though, at least theyre trying something different its basically (i know im gonna get flamed for this) like when the 99 - present mustangs came out they took ALOT of getting used to most people hated em including one of my friends who is a die hard mustang fan. I think its just that you have to realize that the manufacturers have to do something different than everyone else really noones gonna buy a generic car i figure. (hense taurus sales) <_<

1 - 20 of 24 Posts