GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reports say the 4-series will be the new name for the 3-Series coupe and convertible. Sedan and wagon will remain 3-Series.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
why must they fawk with the names...car does look nice though... Looks like BMW and MB wont be sitting around while Caddy gets it chit together.

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All BMWs will switch to the even number (coupe/convertible) (Z4, 4-series, 6-series, 8 series) and odd numbers for sedans and wagons (3-series, 5 series, X3, X5, 7-Series).

It kind of makes sense.

Volvo is similar.

Wagons are V50, V70 and V90
Sedans are S40, S60 and S80

If you are going to use alphanumeric nomenclatures, then there should at least be some kind of sense to it.

As far as the actual look of these cars, I like it. It's the first BMW design that I've liked in some time. The sides aren't messed up with unnecessary Bangle lines. The trunk is still a little "busy".

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
its a good idea, but I had no problem with the nomeclature before... 3 series was a small entry level car, the 5 was mid, 7 was the big one. After that was the displacement. Made perfect sence to me. Now there is the 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8? Not to mention the X an Z.

Either way, still looks good. Id buy one. Hope caddy makes a CTC coupe.. maybe off sigma lite or epsilon.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Wow, that's purrrrty! First new Bimmer I've seen in a long time that looks more like a BMW than a Pontiac.

Although, the side profile looks sort of like a Saab 9-3 and the headlights look a bit like the emerging Chrysler headlight theme (i.e. the '05 300). Having been stung by comparisons to Pontiac, I wonder of they're now going for sort of a "Saab-sler" look. :p

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
now that I look at it, the line that goes across the side of the body makes the front wheel look about 3 feet above the rear wheel.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Er... does this mean we'll have an M4? Every time I hear about somebody losing to an M4, I'll think, "what were you using, an AK-47?"

If you didn't get that joke... well, I aint gonna bother explaining.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by awalbert88@Jan 14 2004, 06:43 PM
Er... does this mean we'll have an M4?  Every time I hear about somebody losing to an M4, I'll think, "what were you using, an AK-47?"

If you didn't get that joke... well, I aint gonna bother explaining.

like this M4?

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by Rex Raider@Jan 14 2004, 08:06 PM
It's better than being beaten by:
I was like eh for about 2 sec... then I saw it. :laughbounce: good one rex.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
the catholic thing is CTS and the M4 and AK47 are guns, and the M4 is also a "soon to be" car as in M3, M5, M coupe. A play on words if you will.

also, the M4 is cooler then an AK47.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Personally, BMW is going from pretty to ugly. looks that BMW and MB are getting tired of some designs. Personally, the 4-Series or whatever you want to call it is very ugly.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Well, it looks good, for the new BMW that is, seems the smaller a Bimmer is the less chance to hack up the trunk. Still a few too many sharp edges on the front, looks a little dirty, kinda like a Picaso-ized 3-series.
Oh well, maybe one day BMW will return to the clean crisp looks of the old 5-series and 7-series(That long flat hood with a slight overbite just looked like a perfect sports machine ready to devour other cars)

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Jan 14 2004, 03:23 PM
the catholic thing is CTS and the M4 and AK47 are guns, and the M4 is also a "soon to be" car as in M3, M5, M coupe.  A play on words if you will. 

also, the M4 is cooler then an AK47.
Oh. Well, the CTS thing didn't register and the only gun I've ever fired is the staple kind, so I appreciate the help. (Now that I've messed up it all up for you guys by asking to explain it!). :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by johnd89@Jan 15 2004, 12:14 AM
wow, for sure they look better than the odd 6 series!
hell no, the 6 looks amazing. The lines, the everything is great. Very german looking car. Not very sexy like an italian car, but not flarish like an american coupe, but very german.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts