Premium Member
News Contributor
5,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BMW 2-Series Coupe Gains 1.5-liter Three-Cylinder Engine
Carscoops
By Andrei Nedelea
December 12, 2014

As of March 2015 BMW will offer its 2-Series coupe in 218i guise, powered by the firm’s relatively new 1.5-liter turbo'd 3-cylinder engine that makes 136 PS / 134 hp.

The Bavarian manufacturer will also add the possibility to specify optional xDrive all-wheel drive for the 220d, currently only available on the top-spec 235i.

The 218i will return a claimed 5.1 – 5.6 l/100 km or 55 – 50 mpg UK, while promising a 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) sprint time of 8.8 seconds for the manual and 8.9 for the eight-speed automatic; top speed is 212 km/h or 132 mph.

Along with the new engine/drivetrain options, BMW is also adding new model variants too. These are called Advantage, Sport Line, Luxury Line and M Sport.

*Full Article at Link

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Europe only for now.

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
So much for the Ultimate Driving Machine! Lately it's the Ultimate fuel sipper!
You beat me to it!

But I'm not sure a 3400lb car with 165hp is going to be a true fuel sipper too.

I really think BMW should have created another sub brand for these lower priced cars. They are courting a brand image issue that is completely their own fault.

·
Banned
6,540 Posts
The future is bright - 3 cylinder turbos and even smaller micro engines that are diesel turbocharged would make great supplements to plug in hybrids. Imagine what a remarkable product the VaporVolt could have been if it had an application specific micro turbocharged bio-diesel engine that would only function as a generator - one that would actually stay turned on when you go into work to charge your battery when you have no outlet near you - and would turn off automatically when the batteries are at full charge. You could go shopping and your car charges itself - and since the engine no longer has to push the vehicle through the air and have drag, it is far more efficient. And then when you return home, your car would AUTOMATICALLY connect to the homebase without you having to plug it in via a proximity sensor. And with this technology implemented, electric charging stations elsewhere could do the same for you - you pull up and charge via electric and the proximity sensor tells the engine to turn off so you are fueling only the battery and not running the engine!

This is where we should be going - we should not be wasting money and resources on worthless rear wheel drive products with V-8 engines just so we can be "European". We should be building efficient transportation that is economical to operate - and electric luxury cars would be amazing - quiet and smooth riding - and you could tune the chassis dynamics into something that handles and you'd have all wheel drive because of the motors in the hubs for regenerative braking.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I really think BMW should have created another sub brand for these lower priced cars. They are courting a brand image issue that is completely their own fault.
Impact to "brand image" is nugatory. The F22 2-Series Coupe's sibling, F20 1-Series hatchback, has been offered in 114i and 116i variants since introduction three years ago. These variants use 1.6L 4-cylinder Prince engines rated at 101 and 134 hp, respectively. And the E87 1-Series (introduced in 2004) offered a 1.6L N45 engine rated at 114 hp, but less torque and higher fuel consumption than the least powerful Prince.

The new B38 1.5L 3-cylinder is a MUCH better powerplant than the Prince unit, all around.

I guess it's worth noting that BMW cars in EU markets offer a much wider range of engines and transmissions than those in North America.

·
Registered
9,571 Posts
Impact to "brand image" is nugatory. The F22 2-Series Coupe's sibling, F20 1-Series hatchback, has been offered in 114i and 116i variants since introduction three years ago. These variants use 1.6L 4-cylinder Prince engines rated at 101 and 134 hp, respectively. And the E87 1-Series (introduced in 2004) offered a 1.6L N45 engine rated at 114 hp, but less torque and higher fuel consumption than the least powerful Prince.

The new B38 1.5L 3-cylinder is a MUCH better powerplant than the Prince unit, all around.

I guess it's worth noting that BMW cars in EU markets offer a much wider range of engines and transmissions than those in North America.

even in North america BMW always have offered non driving machine grade engine options
so I do not think a 2 series with a TURBO 1.5L that may never make it to our shore is a threat to there image and IMHO is less of t a threat then there "X" line SUVS

·
Registered
357 Posts
So much for the Ultimate Driving Machine! Lately it's the Ultimate fuel sipper!
Au contraire, BMW has a long history of lightweight, modestly powered saloons that have a long standing following, and are a blast to drive in their own right. Not every car has to have a 400hp V8 to be fun to drive.

·
Registered
357 Posts
You beat me to it!

But I'm not sure a 3400lb car with 165hp is going to be a true fuel sipper too.

The 228i comes in at 3,330lbs in base trim, and this car will certainly be lighter.

And this car isn't hurting their brand image one bit. Small displacement, modest-powered saloons are the norm in Europe, and are something BMW has excelled in for decades.

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
what is with these low-powered turbos?
As of March 2015 BMW will offer its 2-Series coupe in 218i guise, powered by the firm’s relatively new 1.5-liter turbo'd 3-cylinder engine that makes 136 PS / 134 hp...
...The 218i will return a claimed 5.1 – 5.6 l/100 km or 55 – 50 mpg
shouldn't it be around 200hp if that's all the mpg it gets?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts