GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears when BMW launches it's 1 series there will be an M-series coupe powered by a 220 hp turbo. A small RWD coupe that will be a blast to drive. HEY LUTZ! Quite screwing around. Get that RWD 250hp Chevy Nomad on the street and blow the Bimmer away.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
It's ugly? i haven't seen the pics does anyone have them?

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Yea, I haven't seen any pixx to. You can't call something ugly from supposed sketches or spy shots with camouflage...

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Does the X5 suffer from Bangles styling??....I don't think it does...why not??

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Originally posted by casket_demon@Mar 7 2004, 04:10 PM
Does the X5 suffer from Bangles styling??....I don't think it does...why not??
The X5 is the oldest BMW right now. It was created before the HORRENDOUS 7-series.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's ugly. BMW's coffin. YEAH RIGHT! First it's a Bimmer, IMMEDIATE SNOB APPEAL. It's price range will be like a VW Golf. Why drive a VW or a Cobalt when I can drive a BIMMER for the same money? It is RWD and will handel like all Bimmers handel, excellent. A primo car for the tuner crowd. It will be a fun car that will have great appeal. It is going to be built as a sedan, hatchback, coupe and probably some type of convertable . GM only wishes it could compeate anytime soon with this car. The Kappa is it's competition but only the Solstice, a roadster, so limited in sales, is being built at this time. Lots of people laughed at BMW for bringing the Mini to the USA, way to small nobody will want it, who had the last laugh? Every import that is bought here is one more domestic sale that was not made. The big three either get off their fat suit bleeps and go head to head with the compitition and beat their bleeps or eventually go bye bye. It's ugly! Yup, but it's a Bimmer and will sell here.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
I am inclined to agree the one series will sell, despite its looks, but remember BMW had the 318 which was ugly and the cheapiest BMW and it did not sell well. It also had a cheap interior. I do not understand why BMW wants to get into a lower margin market. If BMW wants to go after the market the one series will play in why not expand Mini and not hurt BMW itself.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think BMW wants to keep the Mini seperate. The car is an icon and BMW wants to make it's owners feel special and not destroy the image (That is really not a cheap car once you add options). The 318 hatch did not sell because at that time the US dealers really did not want it so they did not push it. It was the Clinton years, things were booming, they were selling tons of Bimmers, they did not need an entry level car. Things are different now. The compitition is getting stiffer. Build a quality entry level car with BMW snob appeal. Make it fun. Sell it to the twenty somethings. If they like the car as they get older guess what? BMW 3 4 5 6 7 etc. is waiting for them. It's an old strategy, GM made zillions using it. First Chevy then Pontiac (Olds) Buick Caddy.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Any idea what this thing is going to retail for??
I am not going to condemn or condone the styling, it's just more of the same from BMW, I really can't tell them apart, except for the Z series.
One of the big movements in tuning right now is to tune higher priced cars like Lexus and BMW, so they will eat this right up.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
The danger of the strategy is using a single brand to capture the entire market.
Even Toyota recognizes different divisions appeal to different segments of the market. First Lexus then Scion. GM has the correct plan I believe BMW is making a mistake not with the car but calling it a BMW.
I agree the Mini is an icon and not a affordable one but why damage BMW and protect Mini. Which division is more important and profitable?

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
BMW's used to be prestige, wonderful, luxury vehicles that were a beauty (i think), but now they're making me mad :)angry:). First they bring out the ugly BMW with this stupid new designer. Anyone know his name and address!!!??? Anyway, then they bring out the 5-Series, which looks better than the 7 but still looks ugly, followed by a revamped X5, still ugly and a 6-Series looking like BMW bought Chrysler from Mercedes-Benz. Benz is the next one getting ugly. The CLS is an ugly car. That thing came off the E-Class platform???!!?!!

These Germans are getting themselves worked up for nothing. I guess everyone wants to be so perfect when making a car that they try too hard. <_<

1 - 15 of 15 Posts